Gran Canaria or Tenerife for 1 week: any advice?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pgerrish

Gran Canaria or Tenerife for 1 week: any advice?

Post by pgerrish »

Looking at going to Gran Canaria or Tenerife for 1 week in Feb/March for some easy paced cycling (60-80km) without too many massive climbs - this looks like Tenerife may be a bit more suitable. Many of descriptions seems related to hard training rides into centre and wonder if anybody has relevant experience (routes, bike hire, accommodation etc.) . Ideally looking at a fixed centre if possible with number of day rides. Any personal recommendations?

thanks

Paul
ericonabike

Re: Gran Canaria or Tenerife for 1 week: any advice?

Post by ericonabike »

I stayed a week in Tenerife at Puerto de la Cruz and hired a bike from http://www.tenerife-training.net/Bicycle-Bike-Hire-Rental-Tenerife/Road-Racing-Bike_Hire-Tenerife.php

Bike hire was fine, but the area wasn't as bike-friendly as Majorca, say. Up north, at least, the island is basically a volcano [Mount Tiede] and so as soon as you leave the coast road you're into some heavy climbing. The coast road is very busy and in the week I was there I perhaps saw less than a handful of roadies. Highlight [pun intended] was the ascent of Mount Tiede though - 3,000 metres or so from sea level and as my hotel was by the sea, I got the full benefit! Bizarrely, the chain broke as I turned to descend. Without a word of a lie I was able to freewheel the entire 30 km or so to the hotel!
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

http://casacantarilla.org.uk/
Stayed here on Lanzarote. In the middle of this fascinating island away from all the tourist tat. Quite close to that sports hotel where they train for iron man etc. Fantastic food from wonderful English hosts. Get a nice Tapas lunch for a song in local cantinas instead of rip offs you get on the coast with the herd.

Wonderful rooms and facilities. Ignore the stuff about courses, no need to do any course. Just a great place with excellent cycling in every direction. I am sure they can sort you out with good steeds if you ask.

No connection other than as a very satisfied customer twice.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Looks a nice place, Al - I went through the whole website thinking, "Yes, I could do with some of that." :)

Unfortunately, if you dig that deep, you'll find that lots of others have thought the same, so that Casa Cantarilla is already fully booked up until late September. (Presumably after the attractions of the highly praised local fiesta. :( ) Whereas Paul says he wants to go in "Feb/Mar".

[Not trying to be a smartarse - it looks like a nice place, so thanks for the recommendation - but just to warn others to brace themselves for possible disappointment.]

David
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hmm
Didn't notice that, pity.
I was there for the fiesta, it went on all night for a couple of nights - manic. Very interesting much maligned island with lots to see and do. I love all the Caesar Manrique art, his house, sculptures etc Lots of great cycling, some pleasant and some challenging. Out of season its great. Lose the tourist tat places and see a different side to Island life.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
videoman

Post by videoman »

I would forget Tenerife if you do not want to do much climbing as all of the roads as soon as you leave the coast start to rise very quickly. I was living there for a few years until last year and found cycling to be rather tedious and hard work.
Justin

Post by Justin »

I don't have a vast experience of cycling in mountainous countries, other than Gran canaria, but I certainly wouldn't class it as easy cycling. As soon as you turn inland you begin going up and don't really stop until you reach the 6500 ft summit.
Even staying nearer the coast and going around the island, it rarely stayed flat for long and it was often essential to go inland to some degree to get from one place to the other.
A superb cycling destination for sure, but certainly not what I'd class as easy, at least not when fully loaded with camping gear for two weeks and enough water to last a while.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Could I put a word in for Fuerteventura. Not as hilly as Tenerife and pleasant cycling, though it can get quite windy.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
pgerrish

Post by pgerrish »

As started this thread and would just like to post follow with outcome. We went to Lanzarote in February for 1 week and had great cycling time (bit too early for Mallorca). The following may be useful info to some:
  • Stayed in the centre of island near Teguise (not Costa Teguise). Excellent choice as multiple routes in all directions. IT is not the main holiday area (the SW corner) so not the place if you are looking for night life.
  • Excellent routes for moderate cycling (60-70km) that can go north to coast, north east via some medium climbs to Haria and Orzoloa and back via east coast(fantastic route – we did it twice!) or west to volcanic national park area.
  • Weather was good but there can be occasional rain. It was very windy for 3 days (but it was said it was most windy for last 3 months) usually from NE so the NE route in clockwise direction was still OK and had a great flattish ride back along the casot with a tail wind.
  • Talking to people compared to places such as Tenerife which are much higher (3000m vs 700m) I is much easier to zig zag around the island with moderate or easy routes, although there are a couple of large climbs in the SW
  • We hired Trek fast hybrids from Renner Bikes ( http://www.mountainbike-lanzarote.com/index_eng.html ) in Puerto del Carmen and they were excellent . Renner Bikes gave great service and also delivered them and the bikes were in excellent condition.
  • Three of the routes with GPX download tracks are at http://www.routeyou.com/group/view/5075/pg-lanzarote-routes.en
We will be going back
Paul
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Thanks for posting. When you made your OP, I was in Gran Canaria. I'll definitely go back to the Canaries for some Winter cycling and Lanzarote sounds a good option. Here's my write-up on Gran Canaria, for reference:

I've just got back from an excellent trip to Gran Canaria. It doesn't often get a mention as a Winter cycling destination, so I thought I'd write a few words in case anyone else is considering it.

I struggle to think of anywhere better I've cycled. Smooth tarmac, light but considerate traffic, lots of cyclists (including some pro teams who whizz by on the hills) great sweeping climbs and descents (sometimes pretty steep) and excellent weather (high 20's, no clouds at all for four days and no rain at all). Plus spectacular scenery, good food, and the chance to swim in the sea or lie by the pool for a few hours at the end of the ride!

I managed 9 days there, and rode every day. Distances weren't long but it was hilly. Altogether I did about 475 miles with a total climb of 15,000 metres. Hardest day was going to the peak of the island which involved a climb of about 2500 metres, including a 6km middle section where the gradient was at or close to 24% for much of the way (I had to stop for a rest at one point due to the sheer effort of turning the pedals in bottom gear).

I organised it through Free Motion, a bike shop in Playa del Ingles who have a decent selection of Cannondales to hire and run group rides most days. The CAAD10 I had was excellent, but on my last day it knocked (quite gently) against a signpost and it dinged the top tube - the metal is very thin!

The one low point was that one of the guys that I rode with had a nasty crash on the first day. He went over the bars at speed and looked a mess. He needed an ambulance, but was out of hospital in a couple of days.

Lanzarote and Majorca seem to get mentioned a lot more as winter destinations, but Gran Canaria is really excellent. Wasn't expensive either. Not done the sums but I think the whole trip (incl bike hire) cost me less than £1000 for 9 days of riding
albal1

Post by albal1 »

I,m in Las palmas now and will head down to san agustin tommorrow, got a synapse road disc on hire for x3 days. I was here last winter and the riding is as mentioned, superb. Anyone book in with one of free motion,s rides? At €17 a go?.