solar power

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
melon

solar power

Post by melon »

im going on a tour and i want to take a GPS and my iphone.

ive seen these small solar units, but are any of them really any good for keeping my devices alive?

any experiences/advice?
[XAP]Bob

Re: solar power

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Solar cell efficiency is generally poor.

You might want to consider a (hub) dynamo an e-werk or similar charger
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Post by byegad »

How long will you be away from mains power?

I use a Power Monkey Explorer which charges from mains or Solar. The Solar will charge the unit but takes a long time, days, to get anywhere near a full charge. However the unit will charge my phone 3 times ad iPod twice before needing topping up. It will not charge a device needing more than 850mA input.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My other advice is much more general - and possibly too late.

get stuff that either - all charges from miniUSB (or other common cable) and a single cable and mains adaptor will do you.

OR - get stuff that all runs from AA batteries.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
melon

Post by melon »

well id be away for a while, dont like the idea of having to to find a socket to charge the devices.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

melon wrote:well id be away for a while, dont like the idea of having to to find a socket to charge the devices.

I was away for 5 months last year - I just found sockets when I could - and with careful management of the stuff I was using, none of it actually got round to being unusable

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=143993&v=3U

a few years ago I dabbled with solar panels for charging simple devices like my pda and phone - never really worked out - pretty much consistant with the oponions of a lot of tourists I have met on the road

I met a guy a few days ago going east to west across the UK who had both wind (x2) and solar and his oponion was that it was about as much use as a choclate fireguard

The hub dynamo option would seem to be the most promising - expensive but if I added up the money that I have spent on trying alternatives then it would be a no - brainer
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

Depensd on your budget obviously but I'd second the hub dynamo+e-werk regulator combination which will cost you at least £200 (new wheel necessary). I just have one and preforms great so far. I have the power monkey solar charger system which is absolutely waste of time and money (for solar charging at least).
horizon

Post by horizon »

I cannot add anything useful but I want to ask if anyone can spot a better way (I am very open to ideas):

1. Mobile phone is charged as and when at campsites by asking. Abroad, I take a plug adaptor so no problem there. The phone only lasts about 3 days but that seems OK. B&Bs etc the phone is charged in the room.

2. Lights are all AA and AAA rechargeables so I take a charger (again with adaptor if needed) and just remember to top up as frequently as possible (ask or in room). For short trips I just charge up before leaving home.

3. Camera and radio use AA rechargeables.

4. The tandem intercom is AAA rechargeable.

5. I have just acquired a wind-up tent light which I actually found really good, so even more battery life is saved.

So I would want to know from the OP: where are you going/what are you doing that would make recharging impossible overnight?

(Edited to add : would love a dynamo but that is going to have to be a very big Xmas present.)
Last edited by horizon on 29 Oct 2010, 1:01pm, edited 5 times in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

melon wrote:well id be away for a while, dont like the idea of having to to find a socket to charge the devices.

Sorry melon - just read your earlier post! :oops:

I would say that it is another example of being dependent on the kindness of strangers - not a bad thing when you travel. But charging up in a hotel room doesn't even involve that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Last point: will the OP be camping wild - this does present a greater challenge for recharging.

And final question: how will the OP charge other devices (I presume only lights though as all the other ones like a camera will be incorporated in the phone).
melon

Post by melon »

i plan to wild camp the entire tour. i could just seek out sockets, but i dont want to have to plan my journey around recharging points. i use a rear light running on 3AAA's which last a long time, and i only ride in the dark if im forced to. i have a an excellent wind up camping torch that ive been using for a while.

the iphone might seem like an extravagance, but its a great tool. camera, music, ebooks, video player, internet. id like to use it to write my travel diary which can be uploaded to a blog with the pictures and video ive taken. it is however very power hungry.
horizon

Post by horizon »

melon wrote:i plan to wild camp the entire tour. i could just seek out sockets, but i dont want to have to plan my journey around recharging points. i use a rear light running on 3AAA's which last a long time, and i only ride in the dark if im forced to. i have a an excellent wind up camping torch that ive been using for a while.

the iphone might seem like an extravagance, but its a great tool. camera, music, ebooks, video player, internet. id like to use it to write my travel diary which can be uploaded to a blog with the pictures and video ive taken. it is however very power hungry.

Thanks melon - that explains a lot. I am now interested to see the replies on this. Have you checked out any other web resources (e.g. RTW'ers) who camped out complete with laptops etc?
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

From my research laptops can't be recharged by bike dynamo. Perhaps small notebooks would be OK. Dynamo+Ewerk can give out from 2.8V up to 13.5V (with 0.7 V steps) and up to slightly less then 2A current. These values can be set on the device. This covers power requirements of almost all small gadgets nowadays including iphone (provided you ride fast enough obviously). Another advantage is you never have to think about charging your lights. There are people who used this set up and have done this unsupported and could charge their gadgets. (Here it matters how many gadgets are to be used and how frequently as well). I don't have experience with iphone but have heard that it has a high power demand. it is on compatibility list of e-werk so should be OK depending on your daily use..
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Candle power forums have some circuits for charging usb and aa batteries off of a hub dynamo. worth a look. Cuts down a chink on the cost of the setup as it's only the front wheel + a few electrical components.
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Candle power forums have some circuits for charging usb and aa batteries off of a hub dynamo. worth a look. Cuts down a chunk on the cost of the setup as it's only the front wheel + a few electrical components.