Ridgeback Panorama vs Pearson Compass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gavin Hill

Ridgeback Panorama vs Pearson Compass

Post by Gavin Hill »

I love my Revolution Country Explorer and it did me proud on my recent successful JOGLE.

But we are just about to introduce the CTW scheme at work and I want to keep touring, so I am very tempted to go for a better touring bike.

I like the look of the following:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/panorama-2011-touring-bike-ec025129?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/29742/Pearson-Compass-Red-17%22/

Both receive good reviews and are a similiar price. So which is the better bike?

(Although if I go this way I will really miss my current BB7 disc brakes! )
The Mechanic

Re: Ridgeback Panorama vs Pearson Compass

Post by The Mechanic »

I have no experience of either of these bikes but someone in our CTC group has the Ridgeback and it looks like a cracking bike. It also has a better frame than the Pearson (725 v 631). I think you know where this is leading...
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

The Mechanic wrote:I have no experience of either of these bikes but someone in our CTC group has the Ridgeback and it looks like a cracking bike. It also has a better frame than the Pearson (725 v 631). I think you know where this is leading...

The most important thing with 631 & 725 frames is to check what the rear triangle is made from, as 631 stays don't exist and 725 are very expensive (often 525 stays are used).
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

The description on the Evans website says the stays are also 725 and forks are cromolly. Sounds OK to me. My Aravis 631 has 520 forks and stays which I belive is 525 made under license by someone other than Reynolds themselves. Still a great ride though but in the OPs case, I would go for the Ridgeback.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
jochta

Post by jochta »

I have a Ridgeback Panorama (2008) and it's an excellent bike. Did a LEJOG on it fully laden with camping gear and panniers. Also did a shorter tour on it this year. I use it as a winter commuter as well.

Changed the chain and cassette each spring is all I've done to it. I did crack the rear rim on this year's tour but it still held out for the remainder of the ride with no further damage. Had a new wheel custom built for it with Mavic rim and an upgraded Shimano hub as a replacement.

I got rid of the crappy spongy saddle and put a Brooks B17 on it. And replaced the tyres with Schwalbe Marathon Plus which I've never had a puncture in.

John
Dan K

Post by Dan K »

Gavin, I'm curious. I'm wondering if you've shortlisted those two because coincidentally, both bikes are joint winners in a four bike, touring-bike review (with Dawes Galaxy trailing behind in third place and the Claud Butler Dalesman bring up the rear in fourth position) in the current issue of Cycling Active. Each bike gets a double page spread on its pros and cons, so if you have read it you'll already know what's coming, but for any lurkers out there who haven't I'll summarise their conclusions on the two bikes, as they've actually ridden both! (But strangely, they've tested and reviewed them unloaded, without panniers of any description - a deliberate decision they say :shock: )

I don't normally buy that mag but there's a pair of cute Flash Harry LED lights taped to the front cover which effectively makes the mag free - so I bought it, especially as it had an article on middle-aged/older/'silver haired' cyclists :D

Anyway, their final verdict was for them to choose the Pearson Compass as outright winner by awarding it points of 91% against 88% for the Ridgeback Panorama, then went on to hedge their bets by summing up their choices thus:

"So if it was our £1250 which would we choose? If we really had designs on crossing the continents and exploring uncharted territories it would be the Ridgeback Panorama. But if our touring aspirations were more likely to be the wild weekends in Wales and the occasional foray abroad it would be the Pearson Compass. In either case, you're going to get a great bike - and a fine way to see the world."

I think one of the things that dissuaded them against the Ridgeback as outright winner is their 'complaint' that it came with a quote "unforgiving ride that could get harsh on the rough stuff" going on to say it had a tendency to "bounce and bump" whereas the Pearson Compass is more forgiving and would "rock and roll over bumps". However they also said the opposite side to the Ridgeback Panorama's 'unforgiving ride' meant they "liked its power and efficiency" ie., "The Panorama is a great bike to ride, a really efficient machine for cranking out the miles and overcoming nature's obstacles. It feels indestructible . . . it's a bike that will take you almost anywhere - just make sure you've got some comfy shorts."

But perhaps they've awarded higher points to the Pearson Compass because "...there is an all present smoothness, but in the Compass there is an added urgency - the bike feels like it wants to go faster. In fact it's a very entertaining ride. Like an eager puppy, the Compass just wants to explore - a handy trait in a touring bike." And finishing with the killer line: "All this without sacrificing comfort".

So it's the Pearson Compass on a points win. But then again re-read their 'if it was our £1250' summing up, and it's almost back to square one - which is why on the final verdict page they've called them joint winners, despite the points difference!

Pearson Compass: (category points out of 20)
Comfort = 18
Value = 18
Handling = 18
Wow Factor = 18
Build Quality = 19

Overall Rating = 91%

Ridgeback Panorama:
Comfort = 17
Value = 19
Handling = 18
Wow Factor = 15
Build Quality = 19

Overall Rating = 88%
'
Stop talking while I'm interrupting you!
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Consider the wheels too - quality of comp's and build quality.

For the price of the Pearson, you could have a Hewitt Cheviot. The same frame, but with the best built wheels you could get for the price. Oh, and the paint finish on my Chevy is absolutely stunning - it's a mirror like finish and really far to good for a touring bike!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

jochta wrote:I have a Ridgeback Panorama (2008) and it's an excellent bike ... I got rid of the crappy spongy saddle and put a Brooks B17 on it.

It is ... and I did too.

A plus for the Panorama is the extra brake levers on the bar tops.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

If you already have a touring bike that you are reasonably happy with, why don't you stick with that for touring and go for something different like a road bike for faster unladen cycling? Just a thought.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
PH

Post by PH »

patricktaylor wrote:
jochta wrote:I have a Ridgeback Panorama (2008) and it's an excellent bike ... I got rid of the crappy spongy saddle and put a Brooks B17 on it.

It is ... and I did too.

A plus for the Panorama is the extra brake levers on the bar tops.

They're a £20 addition to any bike, Pearsons or Hewitt would fit them for you if you ask. Certainly not enough to influence a choice.
They both look great bikes, I don't think you can go far wrong spending that sort of money on a tourer, as long as the sizing is right. I think the Ridgeback offers slightly better value for money, that's just the reality of large production runs, the downside is you'll pretty much have to take it as it comes. The Pearson, like the Hewitt and the Aravis which appear to be the same frame, is built up to order. You get to choose, saddle, tyres, brakes, pretty much everything, even the colour for a bit extra. When I bought my Hewitt I made a few changes to the standard spec, had the front wheel built on a dynamo hub I had, and left off the rack as I already had a good one. All things that I couldn't have done with an off the peg bike, without it costing more.
Gavin Hill

Post by Gavin Hill »

Guys thanks for the very helpful feedback.

Dan K
Thanks also for your very comprehensive reply.
I shortlisted these two based on reviews I had read elsewhere and actually only read the Cycle Active review recently. Was a very interesting conclusion though.

I'm likely to do most of my touring in the UK for periods of up to a week, with maybe a longer tour every 2-3 years. So on that basis I should probably opt for the Pearson (and it is a stunning looking bike). However, I do most of my riding up on the hoods so don't think the Pearson bar end shifters make sense. They can change them to standard STI shifters but at an additional cost of £100, which then makes the Pearson more expensive. So right now I'm leaning towards the Panorama. However, I will try both bikes before I decide and that could well be the deciding factor.

As to keeping my current tourer and going for a faster road bike - very tempting, but "the boss" is unlikely to sanction this option! :cry:
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Personally I'd worry about the gearing on the Pearson (12-27) for laden touring, and possibly toe overlap? (But I have experience of neither.)
"42"
chris.s

Post by chris.s »

I gather that the newer versions of the panorama have twin holes for dynamo fitting in the front forks , has anyone fitted a dynamo to their ridgeback or similar tourer and which brand is most functional/durable easy to maintain, and any experiences that people have had would be appreciated.
cbman65

Post by cbman65 »

It is worth remembering that there is an upper limit of £1000 on what can be bought using the current CTW scheme.
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

Before making a decision on these two, I would check out Paul Hewitt's choices. If it is a touring bike par excellence you want then the Cheviot SE is the one you should go for but there are less spec'ed models that Hewitt makes that come in around £1000. Whatever the model you choose, the build quality is second to none.