Regensburg to Prague Cycle path

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
albertboatella

Regensburg to Prague Cycle path

Post by albertboatella »

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are planning to follow the danube in 2 weeks, looking at maps I realised we would be cycling near Prague and after some research online, I found that there is some sort of cycle path between the city of Regensburg and Prague.

I have tried to find more information but without any results.

Does anyone of you have any information about this path? We don't feel confident cycling on heavy traffic roads.

Any tips on the German danube cycle path will all be welcome :) we will be camping all the way. (if the weather is not too bad)

Many thanks! :)
tinribs

Re: Regensburg to Prague Cycle path

Post by tinribs »

Hi there

I cycled this back in June. You can get a little booklet for the route at the tourist office in Regensburg. It has everything you need; detailed maps, campsites/hotels marked on it etc. The route is pleasant if not spectacular, mostly on quiet roads or paths, and only a couple of steep sections. One word of warning: the map suggests a campsite in the town of Roding, it doesn't exist. I ended up cycling to Neubea which has a couple of excellent campsites by a lake. Also stayed at a nice campsite in Kdyne in Czech. Final stop before Prague was at a campsite just off the bike path near Rokycany, which brings me to my second word of warning: someone tried to rob my stuff at about 4am here. Luckily I heard them and shouted which must have scared them off. Suffice to say didn't get a good nights sleep here, a shame because its a nice spot. There was a Dutch couple staying in a cabin here too who also had someone shining a torch into their digs at the same time. They told me this was apparently common at the campsites in Prague too. Anyway just be a little vigilant around here; it was the only problem I had on a 6 week trip.

A few final tips: The 'Radler' shandies in Germany are probably the most refreshing beverages I've ever had. Food in Czech is pretty lame.

Enjoy
DaveFY7

Post by DaveFY7 »

Not sure if you are planning a return route from Prague back to the Danube. If you are, the Czech Greenways cycle route (Prague to Vienna) is well worth a go.
albertboatella

Post by albertboatella »

thanks for your comments,

Unfortunately we only have 15 days and so we will need to find a quick way to get back to Donaueschingen, I guess it will be the rail or a rented car.

Tinribs, apart from safety, where the campsites in chech republic nice? toiletes, shops, etc? and a last question, did you camp in Regensburg and Prag? could you recommend a place to stay in these places?

Thanks a million :)
Al
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

I think Donaueschegen is on the train. On DB you can buy a ticket for yourself and the bike from a machine but only on the day of travel (and maybe only for the next train) i.e don't buy it in advance. Cycle facilities are generally good.

I stayed at an independant hotel/hostel in Regensburg to the north of the river on Nordgaustrasse. Security was very lax and facilities were poor although it was clean. The YHA may be better.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Camping Prague - I camped there last year - go to the north of the city - Troja - whole line of campsites - The one I picked was the one advertising WiFi - Camp Sokol Troja - almost the last in the line going west - adequate snack bar - shop selling a few bits - tram tickets etc - very helpful all round - but best of all a laundry service wash - cheap by German/French standards

Cycling in Prague is probably not the best way to get around - not that cycle friendly - day tripping - tram and metro is the best way to get about
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Sorry should have carried on

Campsites in Czech I found to be a bit basic most of the time -shops no - cafes sometimes - ideal for me - most were very cheap - and the Czech's friendly beer loving people - it is the only country I have been to where on some site they encouraged open fires
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

The 2 campsites I used in Czech, while certainly not up to German standards, were perfectly adequate. They had toilets and showers, a very small shop and a restaurant/bar. It may be a good idea to pick up food in town rather than the campsite shop if you're planning to cook. As I said, food in Czech is much more limited compared with Germany, and hardly any cheaper.

I stayed at a really nice campsite in Regensburg, Azur camping. It was about 2.5 km west of the centre of town next to the river, just ask people on your way into town. Prague I didn't camp, though I hear there's a nice campsite on an island on the river, albeit with the potential for a visit by 'Fingers Morris'. Just make sure you lock your bike up to something and stick your bags inside your tent.
steoireland

Post by steoireland »

hi

I am planning this trip in the summer from munich.....anyone recomend cheap hostels or similar along the way?
edwin

Post by edwin »

Edit: I just saw that I am 4 years to late. Forget about my suggestions!

Hi,

for Regensburg-Prague I could suggest two legs:
There is a gap of 40km between Cham and Domažlice. There is a Bundesstraße (A-road ?) linking the towns but at least on the German side of the border there are minor roads, too. At about 500m above sealevel, this would be one of the lowest crossings between Bavaria and the Czech Republic. (Regensburg is at 340m and Domažlice at 400m.)
You could even cycle the Regental-Radweg to the source of the river Regen in Železná Ruda (Markt Eisenstein) and then take the Bohemian-Forest-Trail to Domažlice. This would be the real mountain experience. :shock:
This is not my side of Germany so I have not cycled any of these tracks except for a few beautiful kilometers on the Regental-Radweg. For the suggestions I just had a look at the German cycle-travel-wiki, so no guarantees for correctness of the tracks.

Have fun in Germany and Bohemia!

Edwin