SCARBOROUGH - WHITBY CYCLE PATH

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dobo

SCARBOROUGH - WHITBY CYCLE PATH

Post by dobo »

to all you crazy fools out there thinking of doing scarboro-whitby old railway path
BEWARE.......Just back from doing it on my surley long haul tourer with 700/32 tyres .condition of the path is very poor unless you do it on a mountain bike or one of them hover skateboards from back to the future you will be fine. i decided to return on the main road fine if you are a mountain goat some big hills out of whitby........i know i'm moaning and expect some banter back,but parts of this so called cycle path is dangerous to people with poor bike handling skills.....ps 23miles in 2.00hrs to whitby from scarboro.

regards alan
byegad

Re: SCARBOROUGH - WHITBY CYCLE PATH

Post by byegad »

A cycle path that demands you dismount is not a cycle path.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Am I missing something? I would say 23 miles in 2 hours off-road was fast!
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

I did this fully loaded with 4 panniers recently and it was a terrible path, especially the first uphill section which was more of a donkey track than a cycle path. I ended up walking a fair bit of the path as I was concerned about coming off. The second half is better, but I'd like to know what idiot thinks filling holes in with loose gravel makes for a good cycling surface - I'd make him ride my bike over it for a while to see how much fun it is! :twisted:
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Sounds like the path has deteriorated further so thanks for the warning. I did it a couple of years ago with panniers on 1.5" tyres. It was rough in places with the odd brick to avoid, some muddy bits at the Whitby end, a gate to negotiate out of Whitby and is one of the hilliest old rail tracks I've encountered, but all perfectly rideable on my tourer. I probably also took about 2h which for me is fine on this kind of surface. OK, so its not everyones's cup of tea but you get right along the cliffs, the views were excellent and I loved it!
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

dobo wrote:to all you crazy fools out there thinking of doing scarboro-whitby old railway path
BEWARE.......Just back from doing it on my surley long haul tourer with 700/32 tyres .condition of the path is very poor unless you do it on a mountain bike or one of them hover skateboards from back to the future you will be fine. i decided to return on the main road fine if you are a mountain goat some big hills out of whitby........i know i'm moaning and expect some banter back,but parts of this so called cycle path is dangerous to people with poor bike handling skills.....ps 23miles in 2.00hrs to whitby from scarboro.

regards alan

I did it a few years ago and it was appalling.

Seems like it hasn't changed.

It is a pity as with a bit of TLC it could be a splendid route but I don't suppose in the present economic climate that will happen.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
glueman

Post by glueman »

The path must have the best views of any cycleway in Britain. I was there last week and the section I was on looked fine. It's hard to imagine what surface a rural, often clifftop path might have that didn't intrude into the natural beauty of the landscape.
My message would be bring fatter tyres and rider more slowly.
CJ

Post by CJ »

glueman wrote:The path must have the best views of any cycleway in Britain.

... if only the poor cyclist could raise his eyes from the treachery of the surface long enough to see them!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
glueman

Post by glueman »

CJ wrote:
glueman wrote:The path must have the best views of any cycleway in Britain.

... if only the poor cyclist could raise his eyes from the treachery of the surface long enough to see them!

It depends what a rider expects from a cycle path, there are plenty for whom off-road means technical singletrack. Compared to Cut Gate (different thread) the Yorkshire coast path is a billiard table! Those expecting well rolled tarmac will be deeply disappointed, riders expecting mountainbiking likewise.
Personally I'd be more worried about hidden pedestrians as parts of the route have encroaching trees, and would aim to ride at a speed where cyclist and ped would be safe.
myheadsashed

Post by myheadsashed »

It's crossbiketastic :D :D

No cars, great views, few people for three seasons of the year love it. Good chippy in whitby :oops:
John in Leeds

Post by John in Leeds »

Six of us loaded with camping gear did Whitby to Scarborough last week. Only 2 casualties :(. Our less experienced members going a little too fast (no not trying to keep up either) over one loose rutted section :roll: . My feeling - if it is to be considered a cycleway then a sealed surface should be expected. Lots of inexperienced children and learners use it particularly using cycles from hire companies. It would be interesting to hear from those hirers.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I did the cycle route last year in wet conditions, my pal was using an old Raleigh hybrid and I used a Dawes Galaxy. Yes the surface is not ideal for those expecting a metalled surface but who is expected to fund the required improvements. There are worse cycle routes out there. I found the route challenging because of its unexpected hilliness but had an enjoyable time nevertheless.

In comparison, I have just returned from cycling along a couple of Voies Vertes and a large part of the French section of the Eurovelo 6 route on a fully laden hybrid/tourer where the surfaces varied considerably and include a section of original Roman road masquerading as French pavee. It was just a matter of matching speed to the surface encountered to make the journey enjoyable. There were billiard table smooth surfaces too and they seemed rather characterless in comparision.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Compared with your typical English bridleway or BOAT, which is what off-road riders mostly have available to them in this country, it's good. It's even good enough for cycling with a small child in a cycle seat, and mostly we avoid off-road in those circumstances, because she doesn't like the bumping. If you ride along at a more realistic 7mph rather than a racing 12mph, the hazards are not so hazardous. I've been on plenty of sections of the long distance national Swiss cycle routes which are a lot tougher/rougher, even in that country where cycle routes are mostly tarred and suitable for cycling to work in a suit. Likewise in the Czech Republic, whose cycling network is bettered by few other countries.
dripper

Post by dripper »

Rode this path last week for the first time after completing the Walney to Whitby coast to coast ride. One of the reasons it is such a bad surface in places is because of the hilly nature of the path. We rode it after a severe rainstorm the night before and the area around Ravenscar had been affected by water eroding the surface as it flowed down the hills. Over time this has created some deep ruts in the surface. Can only see this getting worse without some major remedial action. Sadly, I think the poor condition of the surface in some parts is likely to deter the casual cyclist from venturing too far on it. However, I would echo a previous comment in saying that it is also a beautiful route to take (and I did it on a loaded bike with camping gear and suffered no mishaps).
galavanter

Post by galavanter »

have cycled Scalby to Robinhoods bay a few times and found it quite easy only problem i had was when the track is wet it is a cindery black gunge in places. but still a lot safer than the main road.Itend to cycle through Scalby and head up towards Hackness Langdale forest Took a wrong turning last time ended up in Fylingdales.That was a bit daunting.then down towards Hawksker a lot of the journey is forestrack and i was on a mountain bike Yorkshire is one hilly place .cameback via Robinhoods bay and towards Scalby.never been further up than Robinhoods bay though on cycletrack will try next time The best chipshop i .have everbeen to is the one in Robinhoods bay fandabbydozzy