Ardnamurchan - wild camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ewanbike

Ardnamurchan - wild camping

Post by ewanbike »

Hello, My friend and I are hoping to do a short tour (4 days, 3 nights) in October with the middle night in Tobermory and the two nights either side wild camping. Has anyone done this? and if you have we would welcome suggestions for a campsites (all the better if near a pub) in either Ardnamurchan and/or Morar. Thank you Ewanbike
vernon

Re: Ardnamurchan - wild camping

Post by vernon »

Google has the answers:

£7 pertent + 1 person per night at Ardnamurchan.

More details are on the web site
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Except ewanbike is looking for wild camping suggestions.
There are quite a few spots along the road by the shore of Loch Sunart between Glenborrodale and Salen, but I can't remember the proximity of any pubs.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We camped at Ardnamurchan back in the mid 80's.
no pubs, nothing but wild and desolate!

We climbed the mountains, went on the beaches, and had a great time. Hardly saw a soul.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

I came south from Mallaig, found a decent pub on the road junction at Salen where the landlord told me there were several nice wild spots along the coast towards Ardnamurchan. However the weather kicked up rough and I abandoned the idea of using the Mull ferries to get to Oban in favour of a run down Loch Sunart to Corran Ferry. I camped in a site at Resipole.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
PH

Post by PH »

Just South of Morar on the old road (now the B8008) there's a car park with toilets, through this is a popular field overlooking the mouth of the river Morar. Not that wild and busy with those ignoring the no overnight parking signs it's still a lovely spot. It was easy to find and convenient after getting off the late night train.
On the road between Morar and Mallaig, the old road is now unused except by a few cyclists, there's what looked like loads of good looking camping spots along here.
Really you can't go wrong :)
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I had a nice wild camp at Ockle on Ardnamurchan, a short distance off the road on the track down to the beach. Proceeded from there to Kentra along the track, mostly easy pushing for an hour or so before becoming rideable track. There is a lot of nice flat machair at Sanna Bay, though you wouldn't have much privacy; not sure whether they would welcome camping given the open nature of the land and the houses there. The track from Sanna to Portuairc is unfortunately a rather tough push at the P.Uairc end. Extraordinarily wonderful place in good weather, truly horrible in bad.
bodach

Post by bodach »

The landowner used to be very unfriendly to all visitors but I think this has eased a bit now. From Sanna to Portuirk is not easy.

Click on Bodach goes to Ardnamurchan to get a flavour of this route.

Never camped there but always got a feeling of being unwelcome.

Edit Graham : I've added your link.
Step 1 - enable BBcode in your profile . . . currently disabled.
Step 2 - hover over the "URL" button to see the syntax you need and use as model . . . voilà !
in4time

Post by in4time »

There is a campsite called Resipol which I've used a few times. Great location and there is a bar/restaurant on site. Sanna bay is a glorious wild camping area, you'll have company there! The lighthouse cafe sells cakes and tea.

http://www.resipole.co.uk/
bodach

Post by bodach »

Resipole site is ok but not really Ardnamurchan more towards Morvern (lets get pedantic).Popular site with all usual facilities but not up to C & CC standards for cleanliness etc.There is a site at Kilchoan where I have not stopped but facilities when I checked them in May this year looked ok.
peterm

Post by peterm »

There are quite a few good value hostels in that area which might be better than camping at that time of year.
Last year, as part of my round the coast of Britain trip I stayed in the excellent hostel at Strontian. Then cycled to Lochaline where there is another very friendly hostel, as part of a diving centre, that I stopped at for lunch. Caught ferry over to Mull and stayed in Youth Hostel in Tobermory and then ferry to Ardnamurchan and after visiting lighthouse cycled back to Strontian for a second night in hostel there and then carried on south. It makes a good circular3/4 day tour.The community centre in Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan has all sorts of facilities including showers so if you did wild camp nearby you could pop in there in the morning- it also has a cafe.
More details and lots of photos here-just click on "more".

http://www.petermaddern.weebly.com
in4time

Post by in4time »

oh and personally I'd avoid this place.

http://www.salenhotel.co.uk/

Mean breakfast and overpriced.
Auchmill

Post by Auchmill »

"Wild Camping" (lightweight, short stay, away from houses etc) is now officially OK in Scotland - see the Outdoor Access Code. Plenty of opportunities in Ardnamurchan, but not many pubs I'm afraid. Plan your route and depending on how far you think you'll get in day have a look at Google Street View. I can't see it being a problem.
bikerpauline

Post by bikerpauline »

My husband has often camped by the lighthouse at Ardnamurchan. There is a visitors centre where you can get water and use the toilets. He usually only goes there end of season around October time.

He is an account of one of his trips with a picture of camping near the lighthouse. http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/reports/e2w.htm
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

West of the Salen hotel, I think there are only two bars, Kilchoan House Hotel at Kilchoan, which acts as the village pub, and the Sonachan Hotel, three miles further west on the road to the lighthouse and Portuairk.