Touring bike with butterfly bars?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: Touring bike with butterfly bars?

Post by horizon »

freebooter wrote:
horizon wrote: but I didn't change the front mech.

So are you running a road front mech with mtb shifters? I am looking to convert my bike from drops to butterfly bars as well. I have heard conflicting advise on whether it is necessary to change the fd. The 'official' advice seems to be that they use differing cable pull and should be changed. However, I have seen people say they didn't bother and the road fd works fine with mtb shifters.

At the moment I was thinking of leaving it for now and seeing if I like the bars first. My current one is a Shimano Tiagra.

No, it has an MTB front chain set and mech. The brake set up is back to cantis - there could have been an issue with V brakes. I am not aware of any problems changing from drops to butterflys but I was simply routing back to the original set up so it was very straightforward. Of course, as Colin reminded me, you do have the expense of both sets of levers as well as the bars. I am afraid I will have to leave it to others to say whether there may be issues going from road set up to butterflys.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

horizon wrote:No, it has an MTB front chain set and mech. The brake set up is back to cantis - there could have been an issue with V brakes. I am not aware of any problems changing from drops to butterflys but I was simply routing back to the original set up so it was very straightforward. Of course, as Colin reminded me, you do have the expense of both sets of levers as well as the bars. I am afraid I will have to leave it to others to say whether there may be issues going from road set up to butterflys.

Sorry, I am a bit confused :? I have reread what you wrote and if I am correct you have a Sardar that was originally built for drops, converted to butterfly bars and then you converted it back to drops? My bike is also a Sardar that is currently still in the original config of drops with STI levers but I want to convert it to butterflies. If I understand your situation your bike either had the fd swapped to an mtb one with the butterfly bars and you are now running drop shifters with an mtb fd or the fd was never changed and when the butterfly bars were on it was running with the original road fd?
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Image

I had this piccy in a previous email so managed to winkle it in here. It's a closeup of the bar. The mess on the left is a sponge under a GPS, a good way to carry the things as it absorbs shock and stops them getting switched off.
You can see the narrowness of the bar and how it curves. There was a bit which curved back a bit at the front but I hacksawed this off to fit my barbag. SJSC have a variety of bars like this.

It looks like that bar is the Modolo Yuma Mohican. Humpert do a similar bar. They are similar to butterfly bars but start from the clamp and bend forward and round. Normal butterfly bars go from the clamp forward, round and back.

Can you use the front stubs at all or is it now just the flat and sides position?
horizon

Post by horizon »

freebooter wrote:
horizon wrote:No, it has an MTB front chain set and mech. The brake set up is back to cantis - there could have been an issue with V brakes. I am not aware of any problems changing from drops to butterflys but I was simply routing back to the original set up so it was very straightforward. Of course, as Colin reminded me, you do have the expense of both sets of levers as well as the bars. I am afraid I will have to leave it to others to say whether there may be issues going from road set up to butterflys.

Sorry, I am a bit confused :? I have reread what you wrote and if I am correct you have a Sardar that was originally built for drops, converted to butterfly bars and then you converted it back to drops? My bike is also a Sardar that is currently still in the original config of drops with STI levers but I want to convert it to butterflies. If I understand your situation your bike either had the fd swapped to an mtb one with the butterfly bars and you are now running drop shifters with an mtb fd or the fd was never changed and when the butterfly bars were on it was running with the original road fd?

fd? :?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

freebooter wrote:
Can you use the front stubs at all or is it now just the flat and sides position?

I can but seldom do. I do if I'm walloping my way into a strong wind!
Si

Post by Si »

horizon wrote:
freebooter wrote:

fd? :?

front derailer ?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Do you I know I spent hours trying to work than one out - surely no-one has called in that in years - all the young people on here call it a front mech?

Well, no. As far as I know the drops, bar ends and cantis came off, the butterflys, V brakes and levers went on and the cantis, drops and bar ends went back on again. The fd stayed the same .... as far I know... :? And it all works beautifully again, doesn't it?? I mean, doesn't it.....???? :cry: :cry:
horizon

Post by horizon »

freebooter: another thought: what makes you think it had a road fd/fm with the drops? As far as I know it is still the original one that came with the bike (I haven't got it here to check but I'm pretty sure it's Deore) and there would have been no need to change it.

A quick edit: freebooter - don't be sidetracked by the Tiagra levers - check the f/d for Deore - it looks like Dawes mixed the two to get the overall effect they wanted.
meic

Post by meic »

If the drops were fitted with Shimano STI changers then they would need a road front mech to operate corectly.
However if you had down tube levers (or any other friction/non indexed changers) you could have whatever front mech you like.
I have a Deore XT front mech with drops and downtube levers.
Yma o Hyd
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

Sorry for the confusion, fd = front derailleur. I didn't realise it was old fogey terminology ;) Although I am pretty certain Shimano still use the term. Anyway, my fault for leaping straight in with an abbreviation.

I see that you are using bar ends. I remember now seeing other pictures of Sardars with bar ends and others with STIs. Perhaps Dawes gave the option. Mine has Tiagra STIs and hence is paired with a Tiagra fd. I have never used bar ends and would have thought they came from the road group and hence would also be paired with a road fd but perhaps this isn't correct and they work with mtb ones. This would explain why you could swap bars and shifters without needing to change the fd.

It is looking likely that I will need to change mine to an mtb one :( Although I did see a post from someone claiming that he ran a Tiagra fd with mtb shifters so I might just see whether it works or not.
horizon

Post by horizon »

freebooter wrote: Mine has Tiagra STIs and hence is paired with a Tiagra fd. I have never used bar ends and would have thought they came from the road group and hence would also be paired with a road fd but perhaps this isn't correct and they work with mtb ones. This would explain why you could swap bars and shifters without needing to change the fd.

Thanks freebooter - this explains everything - you did have me worried for a moment (well, more than a moment actually). :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

freebooter wrote:Perhaps Dawes gave the option.

They did most years at any rate (with, you are right, Tiagra and Deore respectively at the front mech). We could even start a discussion as to which people would prefer. Interestingly they called the bar ends the EXP version which means that you could travel to distant places and repair them yourself in your tent in the desert. :)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

freebooter wrote:
It looks like that bar is the Modolo Yuma Mohican. Humpert do a similar bar.

I may be looking for something which doesnt exist. The Modolo bar is 57cm. wide according to SJSC. Also I want the straight front to back bit of the bar to have room for 2 hand positions. I will look for Humpert next . Thanks for looking for me !
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Jakes Bikes (Jake Volkert), in Bristol used to import Humpert bars.That's where I got mine. He may still or at least know who does.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pioneer wrote:Jakes Bikes (Jake Volkert), in Bristol used to import Humpert bars.That's where I got mine. He may still or at least know who does.

Thanks for that!