Eurovelo 6 opposite direction

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MarkM

Eurovelo 6 opposite direction

Post by MarkM »

My wife and I are planning to ride our tandem from Geneva to Basil, and then follow (for the most part) the Eurovelo 6 route to Nante. I don't have the maps yet, but I'm wondering if anyone can comment about riding the route in the reverse (as presented by the Eurovelo web site) direction. Any comments or caveats will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark...
vernon

Re: Eurovelo 6 opposite direction

Post by vernon »

There shouldn't be any issues riding in the opposite direction. Distances don't change, the cities towns and villages retain their names and the food tastes the same.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

vernon wrote:There shouldn't be any issues riding in the opposite direction. Distances don't change, the cities towns and villages retain their names and the food tastes the same.

and you are heading towards the sea so it should be downhill :)
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

vernon wrote:There shouldn't be any issues riding in the opposite direction. Distances don't change, the cities towns and villages retain their names and the food tastes the same.

Well, that may be the case on Eurovelo 6, but I'm not familiar with the area - here in California the same route in reverse may present challenges such as prevailing head winds and steeper climbs.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

MarkM wrote:riding the route in the reverse

If your using campsites check opening dates. There is a shortcut along the Cher; it works in the point to point sense but that might be missing the point! Much of the route is on towpaths and is often signed. Think about how your going to get back from Nantes.

In good weather its gorgeous; there's lots to see /do /taste so allow time. The route is largely flat; the winter prevailing wind would be at your back.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

BE1 wrote:

and you are heading towards the sea so it should be downhill :)

Using the same logic (which I love) then I should be able to free wheel to London as its down south!
Retired and loving it
vernon

Post by vernon »

MarkM wrote:

Well, that may be the case on Eurovelo 6, but I'm not familiar with the area - here in California the same route in reverse may present challenges such as prevailing head winds and steeper climbs.

Nah. It's quite flat and sheltered. I'll be sort of following it this summer bu will be cycling a bit further away from the Loire than the cycle route itself - the cycle paths can get a bit boring.

I'd not worry about prevailing winds as they don't take any notice of your itinary and will be againsterlies no matter which way you choose to do the ride.