South Downs Way on a touring bike ??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dudley Manlove

Re: South Downs Way on a touring bike ??

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I did it a few years back on a MTB that'd been converted for commuting - so fully rigid, lowest gear was 32front, 25back, 2" marathon tyres. It was dry so the tyres were fine. The wrists had just about had enuff by the end tho - front suss would have been nice. Also, that gearing was stupid, I had to honk *alot* - then I was fit enough, now I couldn't do it. Id take a MTB if possible - and suck up the road miles on it from Cambridge if need be - but it's probably doable on a tourer. Fat tyres, low gearing!
Ottocat

Post by Ottocat »

I did it a few weeks ago on a fully ridged Steel mtb , with 2.5 inch tyres...it was fun but some of the rocky downhills left me with blurry vision, I wouldn't do it on a tourer if you paid me
Lee T

Post by Lee T »

Completed it April 2016 on a steel touring bike.

Its possible but it isn't fun. 5 punctures and that was just on the first day. Some of the paths are damn right dangerous and you need some decent grip.
You need some suspension as well, otherwise you could loose filling from your teeth being jarred so much.
I would do it again, but I would get a decent mountain bike for it.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I rode the SDW on a hybrid (rigid fork) minimal kit. I hadn't a clue what the route was like before I got there, just liked the sound of it and I'd barely been riding a bike, having taken a break for 20 odd years. Any difficulties, I put down to my lack of fitness and ability rather than the bike.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Farawayvisions wrote:I rode the SDW on a hybrid (rigid fork) minimal kit. I hadn't a clue what the route was like before I got there, just liked the sound of it and I'd barely been riding a bike, having taken a break for 20 odd years. Any difficulties, I put down to my lack of fitness and ability rather than the bike.

Some of the warnings here may be a smidge melodramatic, but this is a route where fatter tyres (eg 38mm plus) definitely help.

Oh and if you are doing it without nobbly tyres then it's best to wait until it's dry. The chalky sections in particular can be slippery.
LeicaM4

Post by LeicaM4 »

I love the naysayers, I completed the sdw late last year with a friend over three days I rode a Boardman CX Team and my mate rode a Boardman hybrid team, both bikes were loaded with panniers tent and all necessary. I would say at times it was an endurance ride, but that said still thoroughly enjoyed it. First day ended with us pitching tents via torchlight having ridden down a byway to get to camp site which would have been a struggle on a fully suspended, it was entertaining to say the least. We had one or two more moments like that but completed the route without serious issues, there were only a few hilly sections we got beaten on (no traction) but other than that it was a blast.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Mrs T and I cycled the SDW from Guildford to Shoreham just after Easter as part of our route to Paris.

Ground was quite wet in places and the bikes ended up very muddy but was perfectly doable on touring bike with panniers.

Our bodies were quite a bit shaken at the end and I wouldn't be hurrying to do it again, but it was OK for a one off.

Lunch on the SDW
Lunch on the SDW

Derek
Graham

Post by Graham »

Toffee wrote:Mrs T and I cycled the SDW from Guildford to Shoreham just after Easter as part of our route to Paris.

( Unless something has changed . . . . ) the Guildford to Shoreham track is called "The Downs Link", which is not the South Downs Way.

The Downs Link largely follows the track of a former railway and is therefore relatively flat over most of the distance. SDW is rather hilly.

You don't mention joining the SDW near Steyning to proceed to the ferry port, so I assume you joined the tarmac to get you there.

LeicaM4 wrote:I love the naysayers, . . . . .

It is good that you enjoyed it. You sound young, fit and enthusiastic.
I'm getting on a bit now so my criteria for enjoyment are probably more cautious . . . . e.g.
- enough time to enjoy the surroundings, while moving along :-
- - without the fear of falling off
- - without concern for damaging the bicycle components on rough terrain
- - maintaining some level of comfort over an enduring physical challenge
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I was just thinking 'Wow SDW in April, fully loaded, en route to Paris - that's hardcore'.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Toffee wrote:Mrs T and I cycled the SDW from Guildford to Shoreham just after Easter as part of our route to Paris.

Ground was quite wet in places and the bikes ended up very muddy but was perfectly doable on touring bike with panniers.

Our bodies were quite a bit shaken at the end and I wouldn't be hurrying to do it again, but it was OK for a one off

Derek

"a bit shaken" was also my experience of the The Downs Link - also a bad headache. I had to then push my bike up a steep track to Truleigh Hill YHA ( was some time ago I might add, never again )
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I may be a bit prissy,but I think this path should be left to walkers. Yes,you can do it on a bike...but I think you'd get more out of it by foot and a rucsac. I don't like to see bikes on this path. I think you can do the Tour of Mont Blanc on a bike,but...I just don't like the machine on what I believe should be a walkers way. I don't know what I can liken my prejudice to? I guess unclassified small country roads visited by cycle tourists,now taken up a covoy of Hummers. All perfectly legal. But right? Having said that(and maybe opening myself to critics?),I also don't want to see horses using walkers paths. I see 4 wheel drives are taking to Greenways these days? Wotsgoingon? Still,I guess if I were younger its the sorta thing I might have considered :(
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

mercalia wrote:

Our bodies were quite a bit shaken at the end and I wouldn't be hurrying to do it again, but it was OK for a one off

Derek

"a bit shaken" was also my experience of the The Downs Link - also a bad headache. I had to then push my bike up a steep track to Truleigh Hill YHA ( was some time ago I might add, never again )

The Downs Link and the South Downs Way are two quite different routes. If you were on the Downs Link and staying at the Truleigh YHA then it would indeed have come as a bit of a nasty shock - but I'm guessing you were on the SDW.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

andymiller wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Derek

The Downs Link and the South Downs Way are two quite different routes. If you were on the Downs Link and staying at the Truleigh YHA then it would indeed have come as a bit of a nasty shock - but I'm guessing you were on the SDW.

I know the difference. No I came down from London/Guildford on the Downs Link then found a track leading up to Truleigh YHA - was very steep, pushed the bike all the way. I had been looking for a straight line way to get there ( silly me ) When staying at the YHA I did go on the SDW a bit east wards - was a mixed ride but some great views, I walked as much as I cycled - not CX but CW cyclo-walk :lol: The Downs Link at that time was not very well surfaced, I hope it is better now?
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

tyreon wrote:I may be a bit prissy,but I think this path should be left to walkers. Yes,you can do it on a bike...but I think you'd get more out of it by foot and a rucsac. I don't like to see bikes on this path. I think you can do the Tour of Mont Blanc on a bike,but...I just don't like the machine on what I believe should be a walkers way. I don't know what I can liken my prejudice to? I guess unclassified small country roads visited by cycle tourists,now taken up a covoy of Hummers. All perfectly legal. But right? Having said that(and maybe opening myself to critics?),I also don't want to see horses using walkers paths. I see 4 wheel drives are taking to Greenways these days? Wotsgoingon? Still,I guess if I were younger its the sorta thing I might have considered :(

As it happens I walked the SDW the week before last. I saw quite a few more cyclists than walkers but it seemed perfectly natural to me. The path appears generally in very good condition with only a few short rutted sections. If it could be shown that cyclists were doing a lot of damage and spoiling things for walkers I might agree with you but the route was designed as a bridleway from the outset.

Now, if I started seeing cycles on e.g. coastal paths I would be properly horrified.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

mercalia wrote:The Downs Link at that time was not very well surfaced, I hope it is better now?

Nope.

(OK, I know that the southern part is better now according to Squeaker. Everything else is still hit and miss.)