South Downs Way on a touring bike ??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
malfy

South Downs Way on a touring bike ??

Post by malfy »

Anyone got an opinion on whether my Dawes Galaxy touring bike would be OK on the South Downs Way (doing 100 miles over 2 days)? From what I've read it sounds like it should be fine, I've got 700 x 32 Schwalbe Marathon tyres.
Graham

Re: South Downs Way

Post by Graham »

malfy wrote:Anyone got an opinion on whether my Dawes Galaxy touring bike would be OK on the South Downs Way (doing 100 miles over 2 days)? From what I've read it sounds like it should be fine, I've got 700 x 32 Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

Crikey !! What have you been reading ??
I would most certainly NOT take my Dawes Galaxy (32mm tyres) along the SDW.
It is very much MTB territory for the majority of the route. There may be some sections that would be OK on a tourer, but a lot of it isn't.
Ruts, loose surfaces, flints, holes, tree roots, steep ascents and descents. Chalk sections can be perilously slippery when damp.
I dare say it is possible ( at very low speeds), but for much of the time you would be staring at the ground and trying to keep the bike upright.
Don't even think about carrying panniers.

I think this has been discussed before. Hopefully, someone else will contribute further opinions.
malfy

Post by malfy »

cheers Graham - that seems like helpful advice. had been reading this:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showt ... p?p=768836

I think my mate has an old MTB I can borrow (no suspension) so maybe that would be a better option.
Graham

Post by Graham »

porkpete wrote:I know it's supposed to be MTB territory, but we've walked lots of it and have seen very few sections where suspension would be necessary.

MTB Territory - Yes
Suspension necessary - No, but it makes the whole-days-off-road a lot more comfortable.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Graham wrote:Hopefully, someone else will contribute further opinions.
As Graham says, it's (probably - never tried on a tourer) possible, could probably do lots of it on a 406 wheeled folder, but you're aiming to do it in 2 days, so comfort is important (well it would be for me). And by comfort I include being able to relax a little 'cos the bike is able to take an uneven surface without deviating unduly from the desired line at reasonable speed: which is one thing that MTBs are good at :wink:
"42"
CREPELLO

Re: South Downs Way on a touring bike ??

Post by CREPELLO »

I've done a few miles of it around Brighton on me Galaxy (30mm tyres) including some very rough flinty sections. I wouldn't do it again (maybe 37mm tyres would be ok) - quite wearing on the wrists, despite thick gel handlebar padding. It was a joy on the MTB- want to go back on holiday to do it that way.
workhard

Post by workhard »

don't tell my touring bike.... which on the bits and bobs of the SDW I've done so far seems to cope admirably. NB no or very lightly loaded panniers. But if I was tackling Winchester - Eastbourne in 2 days? HT MTB with a thudbuster or similar every time.
Galaxy4x

Post by Galaxy4x »

It should be possible on a Galaxy....but hard work/long days even if very lightly loaded.
Cyclocross tyres better than Marathon Schwalbe IMO... (as per that cyclechat post you linked)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Rough Stuff Fellowship seem to do a lot of hard off road riding on touring machines.
0lski

Post by 0lski »

I've just got back from the South Downs Way using a front suspension mountain bike and fully laden panniers.
It was tough,( involving a lot of pushing uphill and taking it relatively easy on some of the downhill sections), but it is possible.
However, it was worth it and enabled me to sleep and cook anywhere along the way.
With late starts and taking it easy, it took me 2 and a half days to get from Winchester to The Chanctonbury Hill.

It was empty of people until Bank Holiday Monday, and then it became polluted with people.

There is a National Trail Map, (printed by Harvey maps), which is very good as it marks food stores and water points.

ISBN 978-185137477-9
FreyaTheRoadrunner

Post by FreyaTheRoadrunner »

Hi I'm planning on doing this route on my Dawes galaxy. It's one of the 3 routes in England in my bike book and I need to do them before I leave. I will be starting from Cambridge so a mountain bike isn't an option for me. Do you think this will be possible? Or is the South Downs way just too difficult?
Galaxy4x

Post by Galaxy4x »

Further to my 2009 post above - I did most of it on my Galaxy (a 1987 model) which I'd brought up to a more 'roadie' style with 9 speed Tiagra, 105 hubs, OpenPro rims.
Just slapped some CX tyres on it and went for it. Didn't quite do it all because of time constraints, but most of the distance is perfectly feasible on this sort of rig.
Go with the expectation that you'll be walking some of it whatever bike you take. Maybe slightly more on foot with a Galaxy than on an MTB, but equally there are plenty of smooth bits where you'll be faster.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I did a little on my 1-down. never again too rough.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I did much of it on my Pugsley! It was great. No need to walk with a fat bike. I recon I could do it on my tourer with the right tyres (big as poss) and the 'bars as high as possible.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

I did it on my ATB back in March, fully laden with panniers, 2nd time iv'e done it.26" wheels. I'd not recommend it. I don't own a MTB.