W2W Walney to Wear - what is condition of track section?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
numbikebum

W2W Walney to Wear - what is condition of track section?

Post by numbikebum »

Hi
Am joining a group to do w2w in Sept and need to replace my 20 year old bike. Have read that there are sections of track or trail on this route which is influencing my choice of bike...can anyone describe what sort of surface we're talking about and what sort of kit I should be using. I know there is a road alternatibve but I would prefer to stay with the others...I don't want to buy an mtb..

Have been looking for a road bike that could be used for light touring and some off road trails and canal paths/trails etc with kids...I will be mostly road cycling usually - and would like something faster than my old tourer.
Have tried the Tricross sport which looked like the answer but the fork judder when braking was very unpleasant - one shop recommended Giant Defy 3 - but am concened about clearance on mudguards and another shop said it couldn't even manage canal paths..then a Giant TCX 2 was suggested but it's only a double and cassette has quite narrow ratios...so a lot of modifying

Does anyone have any suggestion - am happy to put more rugged tyres onto a roadbike..if that is all that is required...but what about things like wheel base length , double v triples etc etc?

Doing w2w in 3 days - is the middle day the most eveil...Tan hill? Does anyone have any top tips??

Thanks
Caroline
rapidfire72

Re: W2W Walney to Wear - what is condition of track section?

Post by rapidfire72 »

The Walney to Wear (in my case Whitby) is one I would like to do, maybe in September. I probably take my Dawes Kara-Kum with 700x38 Cross tyres and would be camping enroute.

having looked at the map (Footprints Version) I see that 80% is mainly tarmac road. Now that is a good question the Tan Hill section to Sleightholme Farm, being 2.75 miles long and one I never done. But you don't follow the Pennine Way path from Tan Hill, but go futher the road to Cocker, where you turn off for Bowes (signed). I image if in very wet weather conditions, the track maybe wet. But September is normally a good month, so maybe dry then (we hope).

From Barnard Castle, there is choice of 2 routes to Willington. One through Hamsterly Forest and the southern one through Bishop Auckland. I don't think you have a problem through Hamsterley Forest, although the cross tyres would be recommended in wet conditions. From Willington, the route to Sunderland is on disused railway tracks and are super grade for cycling. Again, cross tyres are a must. The trouble with cross tyres is the clearance with the mud guards, although this is not a problem with most good hybrid bikes.

In my personal opinion, I would go for a hybrid, then you have the best of both worlds. I have the Dawes Kara-Kum and with the cross tyres that would cope with nearly everything and the nice thing is, you can also have the mudguards on. Dawes also do a nice range of Discovery bikes, I guess you are looking for a road bike inwhich you could have cross tyres on, but no mudguards on.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I did the Walney to Whitby variant. The only really rough section I recall is from Tan Hill to Barnard Castle across Sleightholme Moor. It's a stone surfaced road with some impressive potholes. I did it on my tourer with 26 x 1.5 tyres. thinner tyres might need to be looked after a bit although it is only 2-3 miles.
Here's a picture:

numbikebum

Post by numbikebum »

Thankyou!!

Might take this down to the Lbs! Was this typical of the worst section?

Caroline
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Hi, This was in April 2007 so my memory isn't great but yes this is fairly typical. of that stretch Worse case scenario is you might go slow over this section and watch out for potholes. I don't recall much mud so 700x32 or 26x1.5 touring tyres will be fine. In terms of hills the ride to Tan Hill is a long slog but ridable and not ridiculously steep. You might need to admire the view a few times!

There are a few other very short offroad sections that are well marked on the map. I think most are avoidable if you need to - I actually like these bits best!

Here's another shot somewhere near the pub.

rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

This is the track from the Tan Hill, which go's to Bowes. Image
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Have a look at this video. I seem to remember I was fairly shaken here when travelling at speed and I had with 26 x 1.75 tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BgbwCg0ZU8&feature=related