London to Norwich - Which Way?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
groberts

London to Norwich - Which Way?

Post by groberts »

I am planning to cycle from London to Norwich (actually Surrey to Wymondham) and have been looking at routes. I would be grateful if anyone could comment on the following points or has any further thoughts on these routes.

1. There seems to be some cycle paths going along the Lea Valley through Cheshunt to just north of Hoddesdon - are these paved and therefore OK for a roadbike or do they require an off-road bike; unfortunately all the maps (Transport for London and Sustrans) don't provide what I consider to be this essential information.

2. There seems to be two natural routes north of Hoddesdon to Cambridge, either (i) essentially along the B1368 via Standon/Barley etc, or (ii) further east mainly along the B1004 via Little Hadham and on through Furneaux and Langley and Whittlesford. Given my preferences are to be on-road, traffic free and minimize the hills, which of these is the better route - or is there a better one?

3. The main issue getting from Cambridge to Norwich is avoiding the A11, from which it seems the best route from Cambidge is along the B1102 to Mildenhall, then the B1122 to Feltwell and then (after a few twists and turns) east on the B1108 through Watton to Wymondham (where my Dad lives - hence the destination)

Thanks in anticipation for any comments.
WildCorgi

Re: London to Norwich - Which Way?

Post by WildCorgi »

Hope this isn't too late for you - only just seen your post.

1) The Lea Valley paths are well-surfaced if not actually paved all the way to Cheshunt/Dobbs Weir, and comfortably rideable on a road bike at least as far as that. I'm a softy comfort-hog and I had no problems with the road bike from Limehouse Basin to Dobbs Weir (or slightly further as far as Roydon). There are some works taking place on the path over the summer and short diversions may be in place - best to check the British Waterways site - but they have been well-signposted, and the cafes along the Lea have had free maps to hand out.

2) AFAICT, neither route meets all your preferences, unfortunately: the B1368 is more direct, and slightly flatter until you hit the unavoidable ridge on which Royston sits), but IIRC it is more heavily trafficked. The B1004 rolls more - quite a bit more on the way into Whittlesford via Ickleton - but is a lot quieter. An alternative might be after Clavering, going Chrishall > Fowlmere > Thriplow > Newton > Little Shelford > Great Shelford > across A1307 and in via Cherry Hinton cyclepath/lane avoiding the heavy traffic on the A road.

3) Looks like a good route to me - south of the A11 navigation looks unnecesarily over-complicated.

Hope this wasn't too late, and that you have/had a good ride.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Many thanks WildCorgi, it's not too late and your comments are very useful; sounds like you've done it a few times? I am hoping to depart sometime over the summer when the time and weather allow. Thanks again, Graham
WildCorgi

Post by WildCorgi »

Ah good to know I was in time! The Lea valley is practically on my doorstep in East London, and a popular rendezvous with my Occasional-Biking-with-Small-Kids and Beginners chums, and Liverpool St makes it easy to get out into East Anglia. There should be plenty of places for pit-stops and such all along the route, if you're not planning to fuel yourself with PowerGoo.

Your route from Cambridge to Norwich is one I haven't done, so I might give it a go myself one day soon, with thanks.

Other than that - mind the midges and the headwind, adn it'll be a great trip.

Lin
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Could you please report on how this bike ride to Wymundham goes for you this summer?

My dad lives in Roydon near Diss, and my eldest brother is in Wymundham as well! Ive always wondered if it would make a good cycle trip in that direction. So long as the train could get me to London from Lancaster that is.

Good luck on your ride, I hope the sun shines for you.

Mary
groberts

Post by groberts »

Just back from riding London to Norwich (Wymondham) - which overall was a really nice ride and I would highly recommend but the heat (+30C) made it difficult on the second day. In the end I had to change my route and go via Saffron Walden following a recent fire at the Cambridge YHA, which as a result is closed for the moment. In summary:

Day-1. Through north London to join the Lea Valley towpath up to Dobbs Weir before joing the road again. I ride a Dawes Audax with 700x28 tyres and personally found the condition of the track along the canal poor in places and poorly signed, with diversions all over the place - it is easily do-able on an off-road bike but I thought it was marginal for a fully laden road bike after some overnight rain, with some stretches consisting of sharp gravel tracks. Having recently ridden the Canal de le Ourcq towpath into Paris which was beautifully paved and clearly marked, this was significantly poorer condition but generally very nice scenery nonetheless and a good way north out of London. Subsequently rode through Standstead Abbots and north on the B1004 etc through The Haddhams, Calpgate, Claverly, Arkesden, Wedens Amno and into Saffron Walden - all of which was a very good and enjoyable route, a bit roilling but not too serious. 49 miles in all.

Day-2. As a result of staying at Saffron Walden this changed significantly from my original plans. Headed out via Ashdon, Bartlow, Carlton to Brinkley south of Newmarket then east to Cheveley, Moulton and Kentford - where you cross under the A14. This section was a bit hilly but very atractive. Therefater on to West Stow, Ingham, Great Livermore, Troston and Honnginton and after East Harling crossed the A11 by Snetterton. Then small roads via Shropham, Great Ellingham, Deopham Green and on to Wymondham. This section was generaly flat and agricultural. Beware - as I chose small roads I did have some problems finding food this day until reaching East Harling - there were only a few pubs but as it was Monday they were not doing food! Total 72 miles.

Day-3, Short hop through Heathersett and into Norwich for the train back to London. This is run by National Express each 30 minutes on weekdays, with good facilites to take x6 bikes at the rear which need to be booked - though if it's quite you can I suspect just turn up like I did - cost £40 single.

Hope this helps, contact me direct if anyone wants more details of the route. Graham
maximi11ian

Post by maximi11ian »

hey probably repeating things but the last post is 2009. I did the london to norwich ride in spring 2014.

below generally deals with the tow paths of rivers lea and stort.

the river lea tow path is in good nick with minimal problems. by in large it is not paved but it is generally very smooth and covered in a kind of corse sand (maybe a decomposed granite like this (http://swbstone.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/image2.jpeg)

I ride a steel beast with fat 27 1 1/4 inch wheels so if your flying round on a real thin 700c you might have to walk it over a short sections, bridges with bumps on them etc.

i branched off the river lea onto the river stort just before rye house. the tow path here is a bit of a mess. most sections are fine but a few are down right horrendous i was nervous about the health of my wheels (though i risked it anyway with not adverse events). all in all you can pull it off on a road bike but you may opt to walk short sections depending on the risk you are willing to take.

i loved these tow paths. to be able to get out of london with out even seeing a car is worth the grit.

I took a rather convoluted path through suffolk as i was staying at a farm out side bury st edmunds. I dont remember it exactly but just a word of warning at some point google maps through me off the road completely and i found my self with mud up to the rear rear derailleur....literally.... made the stort look like a velodrome. so just spend the time looking over things with google satellite. if it looks like a farm track its not its a bloody bog.

all in all use the tow paths. the most scenic and beautiful part of the journey. I took my time, 2 days, 85miles in the 1st, the rest in the second, so if your trying to power it through in one gulp stick to the road.

great journey highly recommend