North Wales Coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pes

North Wales Coast

Post by pes »

Me and a friend are soon to do a little tour from Cleethorpes to Anglesey (via Sheffield and Widnes) and I would be grateful for any advice regarding cycle paths and the North Wales coast line.

Does anyone know if you can ride from Rhyl to Colwyn Bay along cycle paths? Or perhaps even further east from Connors Quay or Flint to Conway.

I am aware of extensive cycle paths at Colwyn Bay and Llandudno but I would be grateful if anyone has any information regarding a route from Conway to Anglesey and specifically around the A55 tunnels at Pen-y-clip and Penmaenbach.

I am reliably informed that the whole of the coast line from Conway to Anglesey can be ridden on cycle paths, but I am not sure, and any advice regarding this will be much appreciated.

A lot of questions posed here and I thank you all in anticipation.

Paul
John Holiday

Re: North Wales Coast

Post by John Holiday »

NCN 5 runs all along the coast from Chester/Welsh Border.The section from the border runs through an urban section along Dee Estuary including a climb into the hills above Holywell on relatively quiet roads, until it reaches Prestatyn. (Unfortunately the coastal section has still not been agreed despite massive effort).
From Prestatyn the route follows the coastline on traffic free path & is very pleasant, if a little breezy when going East to West!
Unfortunately the awkward bit at Pen-y-Clip which is being bridged, is likely to be delayed as the contractor doing the work (nearly complete) has gone into receivership.
Hope this helps & you enjoy the ride.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Hope you don't mind me adding question.

If coming off Wirral where would you pick up NCN 5? Thanks.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

The road from the south of the Wirral (near Parkgate) is not at all cycle friendly, so you are better keeping to the north from Ellesmere Port area & following canal etc. into Chester & then taking either river route or old railway through Blacon & Saughall to Welsh border.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks John but I will be cycling around Wirral as part of my round Britain trip and will be coming past Ness Gardens and approaching A540 as far as I can see from my map.Is there away across on A550 or do you think I will really have to go into Chester. I'm happy to take local advice.
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Post by noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk »

There is an old farm track across the marshes from Ness Gardens that comes out by the Flint Bridge. However, it is often closed when the firing range is in use!!! If open, it makes a great traffic free shortcut past the Queensferry Junction.

Alternatively, you have to brave the A540 to Two Mills, turn right towards Queensferry and then after a mile or so turn right towards Shotwick. Carry on through the village and again you come to a farm track that leads you over to the roundabout on the A55. From here you can make your way onto the Sustrans Route I believe.

If taking the Two Mills option, take the chance to carry on towards Chester for 100 yds and call in at the Eureka Cyclists Cafe!

Hope this helps.

Noel
kevint

Post by kevint »

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately you will need to come back up onto the A540, but only for a short distance (1.3Ml). If you turn right at Burton village and go through Puddington village, this will eventually bring you up to the A540; you will need to be very careful on this road. Turn right and follow the 540 through a set of traffic lights (immediately after a mini showroom, on right, is the famous Eureka Café if you are interested. www.eurekacyclistscafe.co.uk). Carry on along the 540 and go past the Yacht Inn pub (on right) and take the next right, Woodbank Lane. About ¾ the way down Woodbank Lane take the first left into a small lane. At the end of this lane is a brand new cycle path over the A550, immediately over the bridge turn right and follow the signs for Shotton, after about 1.7 miles you meet NCN 5, and you need to take the cycle bridge across the A550 again. Keep following the signs for Shotton and you will come to Hawarden railway station / bridge over river Dee. Immediately after the bridge you can follow NCN 5 along the north Wales cost. After that I don’t know.

Need any more help let me know.

Kevin.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

If you are doing the coast then the info re Chester to the river Dee estuary you have but probably dont need. Its a nice track tho' (for skating and cycling).

I havent done the bit between Connahs Quay and Talacre where the path starts just before Prestatyn.

I rode from Prestatyn to Llandudno on the coastal cycle path this Sat' just gone. It is all more than doable, dodge a bit of blown sand here with an occasional uphill (two or three as I recall) there and hope the wind is at your back. Loads of chippies, tea shops etc. Prestatyn to Llandduno about 22ish miles.....

When leaving Rhyl on the 'Blue Bridge' turn immediately R for the Marina and then head for the beach. There is another slightly more direct way but you want 'coast' :-)

Just before Llandudno the path is signposted on single carriageway road inland to Conwy I would take that rather than try to negotiate the 'Orme' (check the OS contours to see what I mean). Altho' you might legs of Oak and dont care.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Sorry if I've hijacked thread slightly but thanks for your help all of you. Planning to call at Eureka cafe. Have made notes of all your instructions. Thanks again.
Would like to try the Orme if I feel up to it.
pal

Post by pal »

Hello. I wonder if I could hijack the thread as well... I see from the Sustrans site that "between Conwy town and Llanfairfechan National Route 5 has been dismantled due to its popularity". Does anyone know what this means in practice? Is it just that the signposts have been removed, but that there's still a rideable route? Or is there currently no way of cycling that stretch without detouring cross country (or paddling...)? All advice very welcome.
nosmo king

Post by nosmo king »

The cycle path from Prestatyn to Llandudno is pretty good. Cross the blue bridge at Rhyl and then cut down Southlands road by the Mayquay pub. left on Bryn Ave and right on Roland Ave. This brings you out near Asda where you can rejoin the path and avoid the sand drifts. When you reach Penryhn Bay, just before Llandudno, the route turns inland for 5 miles and comes out at Conwy. Follow the A55 to Penmaenmawr. This leads to the bridge to take you around the Pen Y Clip headland. It's due to be completed by the beginning of July when you will be able to cycle right down to Bangor.
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

I've just came across your post,
I live on the wirral but new to touring and going further beyond my comfort zone (the wirral way cycle route),
but up until recently I have been pointed to a new route from Burton/Neston on the wirral, this cut's out the madness of Queensferry to Deeside,
It is a propose built wooden broadwalk,for both cyclist and walkers alike (there is a link but not sure how to add to this also on youtube)
once I have serviced my bike back to bein road worthy this is a route I am looking forward to trying out and opening my world to touring starting with short tours into wales.
Hope this helps in some manner,good luck and good cycling
RickH

Post by RickH »

neil ry wrote:I've just came across your post,
I live on the wirral but new to touring and going further beyond my comfort zone (the wirral way cycle route),
but up until recently I have been pointed to a new route from Burton/Neston on the wirral, this cut's out the madness of Queensferry to Deeside,
It is a propose built wooden broadwalk,for both cyclist and walkers alike (there is a link but not sure how to add to this also on youtube)
once I have serviced my bike back to bein road worthy this is a route I am looking forward to trying out and opening my world to touring starting with short tours into wales.
Hope this helps in some manner,good luck and good cycling

+1 for the "boardwalk" it is a good path (& the boards have grip strips so it shouldn't get slippery), decent tarmac for the most part at either end too - although the northern end (where the path joins the road out of Burton) can get quite muddy due to the frequent movement of sheep. It is, I think, a diversion of the previously mentioned farm track to avoid closures due to the range being in action.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.