An Interesting Ride

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

An Interesting Ride

Post by Mick F »

I rode up onto Dartmoor yesterday, intending to do a circuit from Tavistock up to Princetown on the B3357 (steep climbs!) and then down to Yelverton on the B3212.

Whilst plodding up the hill out of Merrivale up to 1500ft and turning off for Princetown, I decided to explore the old rail-bed of the Yelverton to Princetown Railway.

The railway was pulled up in 1956, long before Beeching, and is now a walking/cycling/horse-riding track. It winds its way round and round the contours, goes right round the back of Kings Tor and over deserted moorland.

I had no idea whether the surface was good enough for my skinny 20mm tyres or my Campag 10sp road gears, but I thought is it's no good, I can always turn round and go back! So off I went.

The rail-bed was stony and hard, not loose but quite compacted, so I felt quite happy. The gradient was very gently downhill and the bed curved out of sight into the distance. I'd been going 5 minutes or so and spied a couple of walkers and I asked them if they knew where the track came out. They had no idea really, and no idea if the surface continued to be any good. I rode on and on and on.

Eventually, the surface became strewn with huge rocks and rubble, still compacted, but I had to pick my way very gingerly. I also felt that I'd come so far, it would be a long way back if I couldn't get through. The surface improved again round the back of Kings Tor, and I felt better.

Down and down I went, twisting this way and that, under and over bridges, past quarries and the remains of railway huts, sheep, and Dartmoor Ponies.

Then I came to my first obstacle. I reckoned I wasn't far from where I could get out onto the Yelverton road near Dousland, but I was confronted by a stile! On a cycle track! Anyway, I hauled me and Bike over - me with road shoes on a slippy stile! Off I went again, but the track was turning into farmland. Gates and more gates, and cow fields and mud, cow poo, more mud, and still more mud! I was caked! So was Bike! The mud got stuck inside my mudguards and slowed the wheels. When I had to get off, my cleats clogged too, and wouldn't engage with my pedals. I was in an awful state!

I found a large puddle and rinsed my wheels and shoes, and carried on.

Finally, the track finished at a disused road bridge, and I was expected to ride down a 45 degree slope to the gated area by the road. No way! So I had to dismount and pick my way down a rock-strewn path, slipping and sliding in my little shoes. I was a mess!

Anyway, off I pedaled, feeling totally ashamed of me and Bike caked in mud and crud - me, usually with a shiny glistening Mercian! I rode the 10 miles home, finding puddles to rinse my wheels as I went along!

Bike is ready today for a good clean!
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Sounds fun. Tis the sort of riding that I like doing: more off road touring/rough stuffing than MTBing proper. I normally use Dawes One Down (like a Sardar) with nice flat Marathon Plus tyres on it.

Did, or at least tried, a similar thing on Bodmin Moor recently, up round the back of Minions, but was often defeated by the mud, clitter and drainage channels. But still, it gets you to places that you'd never see or experience from the road.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Does this mean the Mercian was treated badly? Does it mean the Mercian is now filthy? Tut tut!
John.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm busy this AM, but PM will see me with tool box and happily stripping Bike for a good cleaning and maintenance session!

It was due anyway, the mud would just come off with a brush and bucket- so I may as well make a meal of it!
(It's my birthday today - KNOW how to enjoy myself!!!)

Anyway, gotta go now. Chat later.
Mick F. Cornwall
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Surely a bike is to be used and not to be kept spotless?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why not both?
Mine is.
Usually!
Mick F. Cornwall
JACKBOBSON

Post by JACKBOBSON »

Ughh ! Sounds orrible , bet you won't forget that in a hurry though.
Reminds me of some of the Sustrans routes I've occasionaly ended up on over the years !
Yet some folk love these routes, takes all kinds I guess.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

At least you can spend your birthday making it up to one of your two loves. :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

JACKBOBSON wrote:Ughh ! <snip> Reminds me of some of the Sustrans routes I've occasionaly ended up on over the years !

Carlisle anyone?

Arthur :roll:
I make stuff, that's all.
dodger

Post by dodger »

I've walked and jogged on the old rail track, but I wouldn't think of riding it. I'm surprised Mick survived. It sounds in part a bit like the Sustrans route nearby, from Yelverton towards Tavistock. It trundles along fine for a mile and then plunges down what looks and feels like a river bed. Impossible to ride even the toughest mountain bike on. I had to carry my bike for about quarter of a mile, so goodbye Sustrans off-road routes in future.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

dodger wrote:I'm surprised Mick survived.

I did survive! And Bike did too!

I quite enjoyed it really, but I won't be doing it again. For the most part, is was good going. A bit of some hairy moments past where the siding was to the old quarry, but it smoothed out again later. It was only after the stile that the real problems arose!

I wish I'd taken my camera.
Mick F. Cornwall
dodger

Post by dodger »

Pity it's not a proper cycle track. It would be great, especially if the Plym Valley track could be extended through Yelverton and on to the start of the rail track where the bridge used to be (where you came off it).
Si

Post by Si »

New bike for Mick please....

andrea

Post by andrea »

:D Why not get a mountain bike? Then you can really enjoy Dartmoor.
I rode up this track in the summer from Plymouth then a bridleway to Hexworthy and on to Houndtor etc via Widecombe, before finishing at Bovey. You're missing some great sites etc by sticking to the tarmac.

Oops I'm a newbie. Hope I haven't started something here. Apologies if i've offended anyone.... Puts on tin hat!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

dodger wrote:I had to carry my bike for about quarter of a mile, so goodbye Sustrans off-road routes in future.
Yeah, I had a bad experience at a roundabout yesterday, so goodbye roads - I'm cycling on the pavement from now on!

Seriously, there are some bad stretches, but I could probably only name two or three sections in 2,000 miles of NCN cycled: the bit out of Alwinton on the Pennine Cycleway, the forest road along the Wye Valley on Lon Las Cymru (and I believe that's been upgraded now), a bit of NCN 5 north of Banbury, and that's all that springs to mind.

Away from the NCN I actually quite like finding random bridleways/byways and seeing how cyclable they are. SWMBO doesn't like getting so muddy though, so I have to pronounce innocence along the lines of "oh, I wasn't expecting that, it looked fine on the map" etc. ;)