Cadiz

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
CJ

Cadiz

Post by CJ »

Anyone been there lately? Last time I was there was more than 20 years ago and even back then the two main roads in and out were rather hostile places for a cyclist. But in 2009 I'd like to take a CTC group tour that way, and to avoid having a dozen disappointed people on my hands, I don't want to just busk it!

I have done some research and heard here's now a "Rapido" ferry from Pto de Santa Maria: a public-funded initiative to ease this peninsular city's traffic problems. I've found a picture of the boat, but the Cadiz municipal website is strangely silent about this service and mentions only the old ferry, that clearly says NO BYKES, although another site says it does carry them for 1€. Mucho confusión!

As this city is the western terminus of Eurovelo 8, Mediterranean route, I was hoping that there might by now be a reasonbly pleasant way out to the SE, but it looks like not much is happening yet on that route.

Any local tips anyone?
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Dee Jay

Re: Cadiz

Post by Dee Jay »

CJ wrote:Any local tips anyone?

I have no local cycling tips for Cadiz, but don't forget to pack really efficient sunglasses as the light on the Costa de la Luz is really glarey - as the name would suggest. (I hope the words 'grandmother' and 'eggs' are not springing to mind!? :D )

Have a good time. I love Cadiz.
Dee
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

I last cycled into Cadiz in 2001 and well remember running the gauntlet of both roads. The route from San Fernando along the causeway which carries the railway and dual carriageway into Cadiz is extremely fast, but there was no option and I just got it over as fast as I could - about 20 mins from end to end.

The other route over the Puente Jose Leon de Carranza is not pleasant either.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FUYW_WSxmQc

At the time I tried to go over on the pedestrian walkway attached to the side of the bridge, but found it obstructed by a steel bar at the top where the control point is for opening the bridge. The walkway is narrow and I could not turn my bike round or get it over the crash barrier, so I had to push it all the way backwards to get off the bridge. I ended up using the causeway again to get out of Cadiz. The locals said that I should have just ridden over the bridge and ignore the "no cycling" signs, but I wouldn't recommend it. The bridge has lane reversal on it now so there are two lanes in and one out in the morning and the opposite in the evening all with no central barrier!

There is a new bridge being built, El Puente de La Pepa, which is to open in 2010, but I don't think there is going to be a pedestrian/cycle facility - a great mistake.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5-i4dy0HQG4

Between San Fernando and Cadiz there is a track through the saltpans (salinas), but I have not used it. You can check out the area using the Visor/SigPac website:
http://sigpac.mapa.es/fega/visor/

This gives you maps and aerials of the area in fantastic detail as well as the rest of Spain. Click on topografico (map) or ortofoto (aerial) - you just zoom in. You can also lighten the maps by percentage to overlay over the aerials.

So the only way into Cadiz in an orderly way is to use the railway or ferries from El Puerto de Santa Maria. The old ferry El Vapor did allow bikes but as you say the website says otherwise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GeI9o9WR5Q

The new catamarans do allow bikes:
http://www.trapsa.com/en/maritimo.html
http://www.embarcadero.com.es/catamaran.html
http://www.embarcadero.com.es/cadiz-cat ... 05-800.jpg

I do not know if there is a limit on the number allowed. I would suggest that if the crew have the room they can will get the bikes on board. The service is found on the Consorcio de Transportes at:
http://www.cmtbc.es/index.php

Click on Lineas and open B-042 Pto Sta Maria - Cadiz. To see the times click on Ver Horarios. There is also another service to Rota B-065 which would be useful for cyclists going onto Portugal or western Spain. However Cadiz is a fantastic city and the best time to be there is at the end of February when the "Carnaval" runs for a whole week.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/carnavalesdecadiz/pool/
Cyclenut

Re:

Post by Cyclenut »

megilleland wrote:I last cycled into Cadiz in 2001 and well remember running the gauntlet of both roads...

The new catamarans do allow bikes:
http://www.trapsa.com/en/maritimo.html
http://www.embarcadero.com.es/catamaran.html
http://www.embarcadero.com.es/cadiz-cat ... 05-800.jpg

I do not know if there is a limit on the number allowed. I would suggest that if the crew have the room they can will get the bikes on board. The service is found on the Consorcio de Transportes at:
http://www.cmtbc.es/index.php

Rather than try to use a Eurovelo route that exists only in someone's imagination, I've decided to take advantage of both catamaran services: Rota-Cadiz, spend the afternoon and night in the city, then Cadiz-Pto Sta Maria. The trapsa website confirms that this service does carry bikes, and by trawling through the cmtbc rules and regulations I discovered that there's space for 6, plus 4 mopeds, with extra bikes allowed in any empty moped places. So if there are no mopeds and the staff interpret the rules elastically I guess 12 of us might get on one catamaran, or else we'll split between two services.

I hope this information is useful to other travellers. And if anyone would like to come on my tour (10-25 April, starting in Gibraltar, also visiting Sevilla): there are still places available.
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Interesting reading, does anyone have any advise for accessing the Trafalgar headland by Cadiz?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
AMC

Post by AMC »

I carried my bike on the ferry from Pto. de Sant Maria about three years ago but it must have been the old ferry, & only one bike...
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

eileithyia wrote:Interesting reading, does anyone have any advise for accessing the Trafalgar headland by Cadiz?

Cabo Trafalgar isn't really close to Cadiz, but about halfway between there and the southernmost tip of Europe at Tarifa. I'm calling there on the CTC tour mentioned above, having taken a loop inland to avoid the knot of motorways, virtual motorways and overdeveloped coastal resorts immediately south of Cadiz.

Around Cabo Trafalgar however, the main road is about 10km inland, so that the actual coast roads are minor and pleasant to ride on. Adjacent to the Cape is a very rare thing: an almost unspoilt fishing village (no high-rise stuff at least) called Caños de Meca, with lots of nice places to stay. And to the south is a truly unspoilt section of coastal nature reserve. I've detected that it's actually possible to follow the coast on minor roads and tracks all the way from here to just short of Tarifa, where the main road becomes unavoidable for a few km. So that's the way I'm going. Do you want to come too?
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

At the time I tried to go over on the pedestrian walkway attached to the side of the bridge, but found it obstructed by a steel bar at the top where the control point is for opening the bridge. The walkway is narrow and I could not turn my bike round or get it over the crash barrier, so I had to push it all the way backwards to get off the bridge. I ended up using the causeway again to get out of Cadiz. The locals said that I should have just ridden over the bridge and ignore the "no cycling" signs, but I wouldn't recommend it. The bridge has lane reversal on it now so there are two lanes in and one out in the morning and the opposite in the evening all with no central barrier!

Just looking at Google Street View and note that the footpath attached to the bridge is now closed off with no access from the road The new bridge is on course for opening 2011, but no cycle provision. However there will be a cycle link across the salt flats by the end of 2010. Article in El Pais, August 2009 states (roughly translated):

Cadiz and San Fernando will be connected by bicycle without danger. A path of 6.270 meters, also for pedestrians, passing close to the dunes, free from cars, and over the river Arillo, passing through the Torregorda military area and marshes of the nature reserve of Cadiz bay has been drawn up and is now ready to implement. The first section will be from the city centre to the restaurant El Chato, next to the Cortadura beach, by way of a service road running paralell to the CA33 causeway. The CA 33 is the only route into Cadiz where cyclists risk their lives daily! The authorities also want to reduce the number of cars parking in this area which is threatening the state of the dunes.

The next section comes up to Torregorda's military zone. This part is more complex to construct. The last section of marshes, which lead up to San Fernando, includes a bridge on the river Arillo and gang ways of concrete to cross various piple-lines.The path will be four to five metres wide, and enable cyclists to pass in both directions with a section for pedestrians. Recycled material will be used, at the request of ecologists to make the structure, which has raised the final budget to over seven million euros. Once contracted the works will last 12 months.
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

megilleland wrote:

Just looking at Google Street View and note that the footpath attached to the bridge is now closed off with no access from the road The new bridge is on course for opening 2011, but no cycle provision. However there will be a cycle link across the salt flats by the end of 2010. Article in El Pais, August 2009 states (roughly translated):

Cadiz and San Fernando will be connected by bicycle without danger. A path of 6.270 meters, also for pedestrians, passing close to the dunes, free from cars, and over the river Arillo, passing through the Torregorda military area and marshes of the nature reserve of Cadiz bay has been drawn up and is now ready to implement. The first section will be from the city centre to the restaurant El Chato, next to the Cortadura beach, by way of a service road running paralell to the CA33 causeway. The CA 33 is the only route into Cadiz where cyclists risk their lives daily! The authorities also want to reduce the number of cars parking in this area which is threatening the state of the dunes.

The next section comes up to Torregorda's military zone. This part is more complex to construct. The last section of marshes, which lead up to San Fernando, includes a bridge on the river Arillo and gang ways of concrete to cross various piple-lines.The path will be four to five metres wide, and enable cyclists to pass in both directions with a section for pedestrians. Recycled material will be used, at the request of ecologists to make the structure, which has raised the final budget to over seven million euros. Once contracted the works will last 12 months.

Does anyone have any updated info on this - planning a trip later this year. Will be approaching from the South so don't really want to go to El Puerto de Santa Maria for the ferry. If this cycle path now exists where does it start?
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

The route between San Fernando and Cadiz is open throughout. Turn off Calle Ferrocarril, just south of the RENFE station, San Fernando Bahia Sur. There is an access to the route half way along the road between the roundabout and before the road goes over the N-IV and CA33.

Here is a link to the route from a spanish website Bici No Pro
CJ

Post by CJ »

Thanks for that, maybe it's time for me to lead another CTC tour down that way!

The route looks decidedly 'round-the-houses', approximately double the driving distance, but being British cyclists we are used to punishment rather than reward for going green. They have pretended to build a cycle route and we will pretend to be grateful!
Chris Juden
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

Many thanks for this. Certainly not the most direct route but worth it to stay off dual carriageway/motorway. I wonder if I could ask some more advice from anyone who knows this area. Have planned 10 day route from Malaga to Vejer but want to get from there to Seville via Cadiz, Jerez and Sanlucar. Don't really want to go right inland to Arcos as per CJ's post 2012 (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68225). Looks like we could go inland to Medina Sidonia then head back to San Fernando to pick up this path. From Sanlucar am assuming we can follow the river inland most of the way to Seville.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

You might want look at the TransAndalus - which follows the coast. The route was designed by local mountain bikers and stays off the surfaced roads where it can: but there's nothing problematic (or at least I don't remember anything problematic - the off-road bits are mainly unsurfaced caminos rather than senderos). It skirts round Cádiz.

It makes use of cycleways like the Vía Verde de la Costa Noroeste and the Corredor Verde Dos Bahías.

There's a roadbook in English here:

http://www.transandalus.org/andalucia/c ... Dguide.pdf

And you can download a Gpx track from this page: http://www.transandalus.org/index.php?o ... 40&lang=en
CJ

Post by CJ »

jrclimber wrote:Many thanks for this. Certainly not the most direct route but worth it to stay off dual carriageway/motorway. I wonder if I could ask some more advice from anyone who knows this area. Have planned 10 day route from Malaga to Vejer but want to get from there to Seville via Cadiz, Jerez and Sanlucar. Don't really want to go right inland to Arcos as per CJ's post 2012 (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68225). Looks like we could go inland to Medina Sidonia then head back to San Fernando to pick up this path. From Sanlucar am assuming we can follow the river inland most of the way to Seville.

If I were linking Vejer with Cadiz via this new route through San Fernando, I wouldn't go that far inland either. Even Medina Sidonia seems out of the way, though I believe it's a sufficiently interesting town to be, as Michelin says: 'worth a detour'. On the other hand the coast is easy and there must be some nice bits amongst the holiday developments.

Linking Cadiz with Jerez and Sanlucar, and then continuing to Sevilla, does not lend itself easily to any kind of logical route. Having visited all of those places on that 2010 tour, I'd omit Jerez. For although the centre is interesting, getting in and out is a pain. It has far too much traffic on too narrow roads and felt more like bike-forsaken Britain than any other Spanish city I've cycled in apart from Madrid. So I'd be inclined to miss it out. Sanlucar is much nicer - like Manzanilla compared to regular Fino! So I'd get the catamaran from Cadiz to Rota then the cycle route along the old railway via Chipiona (taste the Mosactel and divert to the actual coast to see one of the traditional fish traps) to Sanlucar.

On my 2010 tour I did follow the Guadalquivir almost the entire way from Sevilla to Sanlucar in one day. It was a viable plan (to follow the river the entire way), but the weather was against it, having rained heavily the previous night, turning the gravel roads into porridge, and the wind was still blowing hard off the Atlantic. So we struggled to make it before dark and did so only by diverting to Lebrija and the magic tarmac carpet of the A-471, which was big and busy but by then we were too tired to care, still fighting a roaring headwind and glad that the surface at least was no longer against us! In doing so we unfortunately missed the best bit of my planned route: adjacent to the least accessible part of the Coto Donana nature reserve and through the Algaida pines.

Provided it hasn't rained much recently, the gravel roads should not be too slow and the one good thing about going in your direction is that any wind is more likely to be on your back on that stretch. But I would still go the other way round, from Sevilla to Malaga. It makes a bigger difference than you could possibly imagine to be on the waterside of the road. Coastal cycling becomes a very different and infinitely better experience, with the option to dodge off onto stretches of cyclable seaside prom take photos, visit harbours old lighthouses etc., then easily merge back with the road, when you don't have to cross two lanes of traffic before and after.
Chris Juden
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

Only just come back to this after 2 months (of being overworked!) so just wanted to say thanks to Chris. Am sure you are right about missing out Jerez. I'll just pray for a dry spell before the day between Seville and Sanlucar.
I am sure you are right about being on the coastal side of the road but unfortunately I've now booked the flights... You live and learn. Most of our tour is inland though.