Technical officer

bobzeller

Technical officer

Post by bobzeller »

I just noticed that the CTC (or whatever the organisation is called these days) is advertising various jobs it has on offer. Not one is for a technical officer. It's not hard to see that this organisation has done a full turnaround from which there is no recovery. Years of service to the cycle touring community have been discarded and replaced with a political organisation that wants to save the world from God knows what. What a waste. What a shame. What sacrilege.

Bob Zeller
pjclinch

Re: Technical officer

Post by pjclinch »

Much as Chris Juden did years of good work, the fact of the matter is that these days technical advice is readily available easily through the internet, while the sort of stuff the Campaigns team do isn't.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't think it would be reasonable post a new opening for a technical officer after making Chris redundant.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

The cycle touring community is a very small minority of the CTC membership these days although some of that community seem to think it should dominate other members' interests because of its history. Unfortunately real life is not like that.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

TonyR wrote:The cycle touring community is a very small minority of the CTC membership these days although some of that community seem to think it should dominate other members' interests because of its history. Unfortunately real life is not like that.

eh what else do they do? I only now of the CTC thru these forums.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

mercalia wrote:
TonyR wrote:The cycle touring community is a very small minority of the CTC membership these days although some of that community seem to think it should dominate other members' interests because of its history. Unfortunately real life is not like that.

eh what else do they do? I only now of the CTC thru these forums.

Try knowing them through their website. http://www.ctc.org.uk

Amongst some of their major achievements over the last decade

Preventing a mandatory helmet law in the UK and one in Northern ireland.

Through the Cyclist Defence fund overturning a Court ruling that a cyclist was breaking the law by using the road instead of a cycle path

Through the CDF winning against an insurer who was claiming a child was responsible for their injuries by not wearing a helmet

Getting the new Highway Code changed to make use of cycle facilities advisory rather than mandatory

Plus lot of work to get people back to or into cycling.

All things that, if the CTC had not done them, would have made cycling in the UK now very different from what it is.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It has to be said that the CTC aren't great on communications. I'm a lapsed member. Any other organisation would view you as a customer that they might be able to win back and would send you emails every so often to remind you what you're missing. The CTC on the other hand, excommunicates you immediately. This was a few years ago and maybe they've got better, I don't know. This forum IIRC wasn't an initiative from the CTC but was an initiative from one individual (sorry I've forgotten the name of the person who set it up).
robgul

Post by robgul »

andymiller wrote:It has to be said that the CTC aren't great on communications. I'm a lapsed member. Any other organisation would view you as a customer that they might be able to win back and would send you emails every so often to remind you what you're missing. The CTC on the other hand, excommunicates you immediately. This was a few years ago and maybe they've got better, I don't know. This forum IIRC wasn't an initiative from the CTC but was an initiative from one individual (sorry I've forgotten the name of the person who set it up).

Indeed CTC HQ has often been at pains to distance itself from this Forum (even getting a 3rd party to post messages from Tuohy and Cox) ... which in this day and age is quite strange? Interaction with customers is vital - and having the courage to receive criticism, and praise.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gaz

Post by gaz »

andymiller wrote:It has to be said that the CTC aren't great on communications. I'm a lapsed member. Any other organisation would view you as a customer that they might be able to win back and would send you emails every so often to remind you what you're missing. The CTC on the other hand, excommunicates you immediately. This was a few years ago and maybe they've got better, I don't know. This forum IIRC wasn't an initiative from the CTC but was an initiative from one individual (sorry I've forgotten the name of the person who set it up).

Anyone wishing to revisit the thread that introduced the Inclusive Cycling section can do so here.

Kay Lakin wrote:We’d like to bring together all the wonderful work that is going on to get more people with barriers cycling. ...

Kay Lakin wrote:... This section of the forum has been initiated by myself on behalf of the Inclusive Cycling Network – that’s the ‘We’ you’ve discussed. The Network was set-up over the last 18 months and brings together inclusive cycling centres/projects/groups across England… and we’re (CTC & the network) looking to extend this further in the future. ...

Is that the initiative of one individual on their own, one individual with the backing of CTC or one individual posting on behalf of CTC, probably depends upon your own point of view.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:
andymiller wrote:This forum IIRC wasn't an initiative from the CTC but was an initiative from one individual (sorry I've forgotten the name of the person who set it up).

Anyone wishing to revisit the thread that introduced the Inclusive Cycling section can do so here.

Is that the initiative of one individual on their own, one individual with the backing of CTC or one individual posting on behalf of CTC, probably depends upon your own point of view.

I thought he meant the whole forum and not just the inclusive cycling section?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
sjs

Post by sjs »

I didn't renew this year. No communication at all from them since then. They don't know I've actively left; the DD might have been cancelled accidentally or I might have decided to change the payment method and then forgotten to renew.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Vorpal wrote:I thought he meant the whole forum and not just the inclusive cycling section?

I appear to have misunderstood :oops: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This is the second time I've stopped my CTC membership. As before there is never any follow up as to why?
What do CTC do for campaigning? I just took a look at the last weeks twitters from them. Mostly retweets of what other people and organisations are doing and saying. Their contribution.... An April fools [emoji3]
and that wasn't the NiceWayCode either.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:This is the second time I've stopped my CTC membership.
I'm in a quandary.

My membership is up for renewal and they've sent me a certificate for my tenth year of membership. Nice of them eh?
The trouble is, we aren't "members" any more, but "supporters" of a charity.

I voted against conversion and given the choice, I'd revert it back to a club. I joined a club ten years ago.
Last year, I prevaricated about renewal but eventually paid up, thinking I was better inside and complaining, rather than outside with no voice.

In June, we'll have a referendum. We have a choice.
In or out.
In, we can complain. Out and we have no voice.

I feel strongly about getting out of the EU. Perhaps I should get my act together and leave the CTC/CUK instead of prevaricating. I can't have dual standards.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't know the history of how or when this forum was established but it is frequently mentioned in Cycle magazine (the CTC house rag) and there is a link to it from the CTC website.