The most countries in one day?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iviehoff

Re: The most countries in one day?

Post by iviehoff »

Annoying Twit wrote:It looks as if there are four countries joining at a point. Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia. However, the borders are defined by rivers, and I can't see any bridges over them in the specific area. Adding Angola to a route to get to five countries looks tempting, but it's too far away.

I should have clarified, at the point where Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zambia become close, there is the Zambezi river, and both Zambia and Botswana control facing opposing banks of the river for a very short distance, of the order of a hundred metres, and there is an active border crossing by ferry between those two countries across the river where a Botswana road comes to the river bank opposite a Zambian road. So it acts in practice as though Namibia and Zimbabwe are separated by that hundred metres or so. Now the actual disposition of territory under the water has not been specified, so I suppose in theory there could be an 4-country point under the water. But no one is arguing because in practice the territory in Namibia adjacent to this point is a remote, and there is in practice no direct traffic from Zimbabwe to Namibia, and there is no Zimbabwean or Namibian facility to cross the river in the immediate area - the nearest Zimbabwean crossing is at Victoria Falls some 20-30km or so to the east, and a Namibian crossing a similar distance to the west.
Last edited by iviehoff on 1 Apr 2016, 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

And there is always this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_shire_stone

We used to have a club run 'max counties' on the club list from time to time....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
sloop

Post by sloop »

I seem to remember Steve Gill (he of the beard) ticking off four western European countries in a single day. Details elude me however.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I did Friedrichshafen in Germany, through Austria and Liechtenstein to Chur in Switzerland last year in about twenty-four hours, lunchtime to lunchtime. Does that count?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

On our Europe tour last year we twice did 3 countries in one day.

Germany, Switzerland and France.

France, Spain and Andorra.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

eileithyia wrote:And there is always this:

We used to have a club run 'max counties' on the club list from time to time....

Interesting! I wonder if I might be able to work that into a ride some day soon.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Got there! Front wheel in Germany, rear wheel in Belgium, straddling The Netherlands. :D
The Belgians and Dutch had cafes and pubs, the German side was just a dark conifer forest!
Attachments
DSC01930fb.jpg
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
eileithyia wrote:And there is always this:

Interesting! I wonder if I might be able to work that into a ride some day soon.

Starting from somewhere like that might do well. Otherwise, the best I've figured out is Pondersbridge (Cambs) to Farcet (Hunts) to Nassington (Northants) to Stamford (Lincs) to Ashwell (Rutland) to Langer (Notts) which gives six historic counties in about sixty miles.

As for countries, Robbie Ferri (www.ltdrobbie.org) who's come to a couple of KLWNBUG meet-ups (he rides much faster than us) recently set a record for five in a day unsupported (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, France).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
khain

Post by khain »

I managed Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Austria in the space of about an hour. I reckon in a day it might be possible to fit Germany and Italy in too.
Hillspecial531

Post by Hillspecial531 »

sloop wrote:I seem to remember Steve Gill (he of the beard) ticking off four western European countries in a single day. Details elude me however.

I think I read on Bike Bros that Steve is no longer with us

The Bike Bros website appears to have gone now?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1598994086052.jpg
Screenshot_20200902_080423.jpg
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There are also a few of the posters above who were regulars on this forum, but no longer contribute. Iviehof in particular was a well travelled, knowledgeable and frequent poster.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Don't know about through but I have cycled around the perimeter of an entire country in one day.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What's its initial letter... L?

: - )

Jonathan
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I might start with the Vatican City and work up to Lichtenstein. Seriously though it sounds like a good target as would be the most UK counties in a day or the boundaries. They may be an option the way continental touring is going.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roberts8 wrote:Seriously though it sounds like a good target as would be the most UK counties in a day or the boundaries. They may be an option the way continental touring is going.

... I wouldn't delay, there might not be so many soon...

Jonathan