route ideas - spain to czech republic

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
aThousandTurns

route ideas - spain to czech republic

Post by aThousandTurns »

Hello there!

I'm looking for some inspirational route ideas from Spain to Czech Republic. I'll be starting from a little south of Valencia and ending up in South Bohemia. I don't care about getting to Prague (I lived there for almost three years so I don't feel a desparate need to see it). I'd like to visit my cousin who lives in France near Mulhouse. I think I've worked the Spain bit out - basically sticking inland and crossing the Pyrenees on some very minor roads which will land me somewhere within shouting distance of Lourdes, I think.

I've done a lot of touring in Latin America and a ridden quite a few big mountain passes but I'm feeling a bit older and tireder now. Still I do enjoy mountains and I'd really like to avoid all busy roads. I have no fear, in fact prefer, unpaved roads and single track where practical.

I'm planning on wild camping as much as possible.

Open to any advice and ideas.

Thanks,

Anna
http://www.athousandturns.net
MrsHJ

Re: route ideas - spain to czech republic

Post by MrsHJ »

One word of advice- don't go to Lourdes. Even if they have I improved the cycle routes since the last couple of times I was there (it was a horrid place to cycle through and out of) it's not worth it unless you really want to see the religious sites. I might head a bit further east if you are on that side of the Pyrenees and pass through some cathar sites. You are going to have t choose between rivers and coast or the massive central/cevennes (good wild camping prospects on the latter) really for France in that direction. Both nice in their own way and very cyclable.

Cycle.travel votes for coast plus rhone valley. That's the flatter and more populous choice and very logical. The wilder out of the way choice will inevitably be more mountainous. It may depend on the time you've got available.
aThousandTurns

Post by aThousandTurns »

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd appreciate some more details about routes through France, especially in the Central Massif. North-South travel looks a bit challenging, off the main roads, but I don't mind zig-zagging a bit. Also wonder if diverging into Switerland would be a good idea...? I really want to avoid big cities and densely populated areas - seems like Lyon and surrrounds probably are best given a wide berth.

Any other contributions very welcome.

Thanks,

Anna
aThousandTurns

Post by aThousandTurns »

BTW: If I set off in the next week or two I'll be crossing the Pryenees mid to late April and the cycling the Alps, if I go that way, in May. Is that way too early?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

aThousandTurns wrote:BTW: If I set off in the next week or two I'll be crossing the Pryenees mid to late April and the cycling the Alps, if I go that way, in May. Is that way too early?

It depends. That's my all-purpose answer to most questions, but in this case it depends on the pass and on the weather. The first thing to do is check whether the pass you are interested in is open all year or only open for part of it -which means that it might be open in April or May, but might not. (Sweeping generalisation alert) Above 2000 metres in April and May is iffy: if it's an all-year pass it should be open - but expect it to be cold, and possibly snowy.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

German scenery is, to my mind, largely of the same type as Czech scenery - hills, spruce woods, etc. Clearly you do get nice villages in the Black Forest, etc. So for variety given you are ending up in S Bohemia anyway, then I would say go through Switzerland, which is more distinctive in its scenery, even if you stay in the north and avoid the high mountains. It also has excellent long distance cycle routes which mostly keep you well off busy roads, including across the north, though of course Germany is also well served by cycle routes.

Wild camping is illegal in Germany: you can get away with it, though the nature of most Germans is that anyone spotting you will likely be happy to remind you that it is illegal. Being pressed in by mountains, the inhabited areas of Switzerland are on such a pocket-handkerchief scale that wild camping is fairly tricky in those parts of the country, though the off-road parts of cycle routes may well give you access to potential spots. And of course the Swiss are even better behaved citizens than the Germans.

The highest passes of the Alps and Pyrenees will often still be closed during part or all of May - though it is hard to say just what you will find as many of them will open during May, and the range of opening dates can vary by several weeks from year to year. Information is available on the web, easier to find if you can search in the local language. Things can change fast, a few years ago friends wanting to cross Cime de la Barcelonette, the highest pass in France, in late May were able to reorganise their route and cross just a couple of days later than originally planned, with just a very short walk near the top.

Be aware you can't use the Bielsa tunnel route in the Pyrenees by bicycle.
aThousandTurns

Post by aThousandTurns »

Thanks everyone. Good info. Keep it coming, if you can.

(Do you still hang out at Thorn Tree, Iviehoff? Or is that finished.)
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

aThousandTurns wrote:(Do you still hang out at Thorn Tree, Iviehoff? Or is that finished.)

I do, for my sins. But it has never got many people back to replace the majority who left during The Troubles.