What should we have in our bunkhouse

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
alibh

Post by alibh »

Hi there, hope you don't mind me posting but I'm trying to get the views of cyclists as we're converting a barn on the National Cycle Route 1 into a bunkhouse for cyclists. We're in Northumberland but in fairness to other accommodation providers I won't state where exactly.

What I'm struggling with is how to let the rooms, we have a 6 bed, 2x 4 beds and 2x 2 bed rooms, each with code locks on the doors. I don't know whether to advertise them as the whole room or have it where you book a bed and share with others you might not know. Or shall I have some that you book the room and a male dorm/female dorm?

The other thing is whether you want things like breakfast included, what you want for breakfast, what should be in a vending machine etc.

And finally what things can we do to make it the perfect cycling bunkhouse (it will be furnished to a high standard), things like what should we include in the secure storage, drying room etc.

Thanks so much in advance, Alison
andymiller

Re: What should we have in our bunkhouse

Post by andymiller »

I'd probably hedge my bets:

- the two doubles available as rooms (ie for one or two people)
- the four-beds as dorms or family rooms if a family gets there first
- six-bed as a family room or to groups?

A place to dry wet and/or smelly clothes. I think dryers are the spawn of the devil, but very occasionally are a useful thing to have (coin-operated of course). A stand-alone spin dryer for clothes that are absolutely sodden (so you don't have to pay a fortune for a wash when all you want is a quick spin)?

Lots of sockets for gizmos (maybe even a little locker with a charger socket). The double sockets with in-built USB sockets seem like a good idea.

If you didn't provide breakfast maybe facilities to make a DIY breakfast (eg cup of tea, bowl of cereal, slice or two of toast)?

Workstands and toolkits are nice, but really most people don't need them most of the time. A decent floor-standing pump is always handy. Ditto a sink where you can mess with an inner tube. Mountainbikers might appreciate facilities to wash their bikes.
hamster

Post by hamster »

In addition to the sensible suggestions above:
1 Tap and hose outside for bike washing
2 Drying room in preference to tumble driers - much better for shoes and boots (and it will stop people putting them in the drier!)
3 I'd like breakfast! Cereal, toast, porridge is fine unless you want to offer the whole hog.
4 Free tea and coffee - suggest a water boiler (Burco type thing) on the wall to keep things neat.

I would rent the rooms as above, most people don't seem keen on communal rooms these days. The ones in youth hostels are disappearing.
whoof

Post by whoof »

A friendly welcoming owner, you would be amazed at the number of miserable people who decide that running a B&B, campsite or hostel is for them.

Secure bike storage. It should be difficult to break into and have something solid to lock your bike to inside. Putting in some kind of racking (hooks or a bar) can mean you can fit more bikes on the leaning them against the wall.

The ability to buy breakfast (cereal, toast, cooked breakfast) and evening meal plus access to kitchen facilities for those who want to make their own.

An inside and outside communal seating area, one of the nice things about hostels is meeting other people.

A drying room and if the weather is up to it an outside washing line.

Ear plugs for sale in case I've forgotten mine. There seems to be a man who snores and he follows me round to every hostel I've ever been to.

Coded lockers.

The room allocation can be difficult. 2 by 2 rooms as rooms for couples. One male, one female 4 bed room. The six bed mixed?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cyclists on tour usually manage a big breakfast, "larding up" with a full-fried always seems popular with outdoorsy types though usually good to have a veggie option. If I'm luxuriating in a bunkhouse rather than staying in the tent I'll generally figure I might as well do it properly and add in a breakfast.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

I’d price it per bed and make it clear sole room use was an option. I’ve recently booked a few for a group and all of them were willing to negotiate to meet our needs. As examples, a couple in a four bed room are paying the price of three beds, five in a six bed room are just paying the five bed price for the whole room and we didn’t take it but were offered a ten bed room for the cost of eight, regardless of how many beds we used.
I’m sure you’ll get a feel for what your visitors want as you go along, most people who are looking at bunkhouse accommodation are expecting to share, though it can feel a bit awkward if you find yourself in a room where everyone else knows each other.
Breakfast – It’s nice to have it offered, whether I’d take it up depends on what’s being offered and you’re not going to please everyone, it also depends somewhat on location. I’d expect a bunkhouse to have reasonable self catering facilities, so the offer has to be something better than I could easily do myself. The other alternative is to offer breakfast kits and let people cook and clean up themselves. I dislike the growing trend in YHAs to have the breakfast included in the price, it not only restricts choice but also stops me making an early start without missing what I’ve paid for!
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

In shared kitchens a dishwasher takes unwashed things off worktops and sinks.
Dorms are the saviour of single cyclists on a modest budget.
Agree re drying room.
Wifi.
Soft chairs are a nice luxury.
Last edited by Barrenfluffit on 22 Mar 2016, 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

andymiller wrote: A stand-alone spin dryer for clothes that are absolutely sodden (so you don't have to pay a fortune for a wash when all you want is a quick spin)?

Yes, yes, yes! And a warm well-vented drying room.

I'd say fit out the rooms for flexibility, so each can serve either as family/group hire rooms or shared dorms depending on the bookings coming in.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

heating and ventilation - nothing worse than pongy socks hanging up not drying while I freeze.
Kitchen facilities so people can do what they want. Some will be moving on, others staying a few days.
Are you providing bedding ? Trad bunkhouses are pretty grim. These days I think people want to travel light and be ok with what they find.
Dont overspend ! Hard on new projects, but equally easy to cut a few corners and make it grotty.
Easy-clean everything. Floors, walls, tiles, plastic wall coverings, etc. You want want to be scrubbing or painting on quiet days.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Being pedantic.........

Is it really a bunkhouse? The accommodation sounds good, but calling it a bunkhouse implies bunks, dorms and all sharing. I think your place will be better than that and also probably more expensive. You don't want to put off your target clients.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

- don't make the mistake of thinking just because a bike is cheap to run that cyclists are all skinflints, many are on the trip of a lifetime - or of a year - and want comfort and lots of decent grub rather than saving a few quid.
- wifi is soooo important. without it you are lost - plugs with USB ports for charging are a good idea.. many cyclists have smartphones and GPS units.
- visit other bunkhouses on a bike and see how they get on. it's simply amazing how many hostel/bunkhouse owners have no ideas what their customers want.
- you could offer a full breakfast and a full evening meal and that could easily exceed your top-line revenue from the beds. Cyclists are usually knackered and happy to pay for an evening meal. if there's a shop that sells alcohol nearby so much the better.
- get a decent website set up and running properly, it makes a huge difference.
- finally, be a nice person and friendly. it's asonishing how many grumpy old sods run this sort of bunkhouse.
Last edited by Graham on 23 Mar 2016, 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The village lady vanishes!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

My 10 cents?

Service is EVERYTHING. If the facilities are clean, modern and adapted to suit today's media world then it's on a winner. Cyclists eat lots. Service again: read any travelogue that passes through England and the surliness of those in the hospitality industry comes up frequently like an incurable boil. Working in this industry isn't a job anyone can do and even less do well. I would also spend some time researching rate structure. I worked in the industry for 4 years in a past life and room rates need more than a calculator to work out. 80% of your profit will come from your accommodation and the rest from food etc.

Also: can you find another word, rather than 'Bunkhouse'?

Finally: the best of luck and let us know where you are once you are set up. Northumbria is beautiful...b

Oh yes: SERVICE!
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The first time I stayed in a bunkhouse it was just sleeping platforms (no mattresses) in a barn with a gravel floor, no door or lighting. But today that tends to be called a camping barn.

The last time I stayed in a bunkhouse, it sounded more like the poster describes. It had some rather larger dorms, up to 12 beds, but I was able to book a family room. It had a good self-catering kitchen and eating area.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

maybe a sleeping shelf for the penny-pinching dossers and some luxury for the others

A woodburner / coal fire. Nothing nicer than a hot stove.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Other than free tea and coffee and a cold continental breakfast for those who want it, the only other thing I'd do is towels for a quid or so - and damn good Wi-Fi.

The best bike bunkhouse is Wayfarers on the C2C, so go to see David and see what he does.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett