5 Days in the UK - where to go

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PeterJ

5 Days in the UK - where to go

Post by PeterJ »

I have 5 days free at the end of April for a mini-tour in the UK. I live in Yorkshire so would prefer somewhere that doesn't take too long to get to by train.

Where would you go?
mnichols

Re: 5 Days in the UK - where to go

Post by mnichols »

I did a lap of Wales last year, and it was gorgeous. That was 5 days. Thoroughly recommend.

Doing a lap of Scotland, mostly using the North Coast 500 but then back over Loch Ness to GlenCoe in May - 4 days.

Did a 3 day lap of Devon last year as well - very nice, bit far from Yorkshire though
whoof

Post by whoof »

You can get the train to Anglesey and ride the Lon Las Cymru to Cardiff, Chepstow or even Bristol. Or the other way around.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... f-chepstow

If you find that 250 miles in 5 days is a bit short you can add a ride up the Welsh/English borders when you get to Chepstow to make the train journey home shorter.
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the suggestions! I should have said: 50 miles per day is probably a maximum for me, particularly if there are hills.... :D
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

all depends how tough the hills are and how rough the tracks. Ive been shattered after 20 miles across Dartmoor.
whoof

Post by whoof »

PeterJ wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I should have said: 50 miles per day is probably a maximum for me, particularly if there are hills.... :D

Some people ride Cardiff to Holyhead is a day, I'm not one of them! Mrs Whoof and I rode from Bristol an Holyhead in 5 days and stayed in B and Bs. It was hilly in places but was a lovely ride. If you went from Bangor to Chepstow it's (according to Google) 234 miles, so about 47 miles per day
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Long distance UK Sustrans routes:-
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/walk ... g-distance

Join two together such as "Way of the Roses and Walney to Wear/Witby. Modify them so you can ride from home and back or whatever is practical.

Yorkshire Wolds:-
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... ycle-route
You'll never know if you don't try it.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

What about the Borders loop? 250 miles in total. It's quite hilly in bits (well, very hilly in one or two places!) but there are lots of small roads so you can find shortcuts. Very attractive countryside with small towns and historic buildings, and most roads are quiet. Take a train to Berwick - if you find it too strenuous you could also finish at Tweedbank (Melrose) and get a train to Edinburgh.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Across to Carlisle then follow Hadrians Wall to Tynemouth then back home.

Did this a few years back (2009) train to Leeds then Richmond over to Brough, up to Carlisle, then train home from Newcastle. Not too much hard work any day with plenty to see on the way. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks very much - these are all really helpful suggestions. I was struggling to think of where I could go, now I'm spoilt for choice.

Thanks again. :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Train to Edinburgh then back along the coast.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker