Which bit of the North Coast 500 in 5-7 Days?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PeterJ

Which bit of the North Coast 500 in 5-7 Days?

Post by PeterJ »

I'm thinking of doing a chunk of the North Coast 500 in late April. I have 5-7 days to spare. I'll probably rely on B&Bs.

I'd welcome any suggestions as to which bit of the route I should attempt, bearing in mind that...

- I'm not super fit. I can manage 40 mile days comfortably. Would prefer to avoid insanely steep hills.
- I'll be taking the train from Yorkshire to/from my start/finish points.

Forumers (forumites?) were very helpful with suggestions for my last mini-tour (to Brittany last summer) so hopefully someone can put me on the right track.

Thanks!
Scallywag

Re: Which bit of the North Coast 500 in 5-7 Days?

Post by Scallywag »

I just spent a week based in (Fasag) Torridin. Lots of incredible scenery and routes including Isle of Skye, Applecros and of course the Beallach - not for the faint hearted! Lots of very nice and down to earth eateries
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm doing it in July. Just a word of warning some parts are remote, accommodation is few and far between and some are already booked.

I've found Google maps to be the best place to find accommodation
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I've spent a lot of time studying this route although having cycled the roads to/from Tongue, Thurso, JOG, Inverness, on numerous occasions. I am concentrating more on Applecross to Durness where there is sparse accommodation/shops/facilities etc. and it will probably be the hilliest section of the NC500. It will also be the most rewarding for you and if you can stretch to 50 miles a day and a 7-day tour you could make Inverness to Thurso in 7 days where you have train arrivals and departures.

For example: Inverness to Lochcarron; LC to Torridon (via Applecross); T to Laide; L to Ullapool; U to Scourie - a longer day!; S to Tongue (via Durness); and finally Tongue to Thurso: that will give you a good 7-day tour. Or, I believe there might be a bus from Tongue back to Inverness that you can take your bike with you?

I can't help you with accommodation as I have planned on camping for my trip - I am setting off at the end of next week, but for once will not be taking my iPad, so I'm not expecting to be on line or emails - I'm trying to save weight to get over the Bealach with my heavier tent etc. - I am intending to extend it to the Orkney's and Shetlands as I've never been there before and seldom get the chance.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you do go via Applecross don't just rush on through. The campsite there is great (as is the pub) and the entire area is rather special and well worth spending a little time exploring (especially after all that effort to get there!).
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the advice. Since my original post, I've decided to do the Scottish Borders loop - thanks to a suggestion on this forum.