Hook of Holland to Amsterdam with 9yr old twins

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
katierbrett

Hook of Holland to Amsterdam with 9yr old twins

Post by katierbrett »

I've just book the harwich ferry for myself and my twin 9yr olds. I'm planning to cycle to Amsterdam on the coastal route with them over the May half term and am looking for advice. I leave Sunday night return on the 215 ferry on Saturday.

We did dieppe to paris in October so am confident that they can do 20 to 30 miles a day- with the right fuel! But I had the Donald Hiersh route for that with b and bs planned out for me.
Can anyone recommend a stopping point on the coast between 25/30 miles in. I thought I might aim for Haarlem for the second night then spend the 3rd night in Amsterdam. A short 3 day might suit the little legs.
I can't decide whether to do some nice day trips with the boys on bikes from Amsterdam or cycle back. I'd have two days to get back. It seems straight forward to take the train with the bikes to the Hook from Amsterdam.

Any thoughts, ideas, words of wisdom most welcome.
Tigerbiten

Re: Hook of Holland to Amsterdam with 9yr old twins

Post by Tigerbiten »

I get it's about 140 miles round trip following the long distance paths LF1 -> LF20 -> LF2 -> LF12.

Try -> http://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/fietsv ... e-adressen for a bike friendly sites.

Luck ........... :D
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

take a look at
http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en/
B&B for €20 each person, you stay in their own homes, you get to see the locals and they are the loveliest people. The Dutchies are dead keen on young families, it's a very child-friendly nation.
As for the cycling: best in the world. There are more bikes than people there. Can't recommend it highly enough. Been four times in past 15 months.
I have the vrienden very friendly, everywhere.
From A'dam to the Hook you change at Rotterdam, beware the curse of the peak hours ban, and remember you have to buy a ticket for the bike.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Get the train from a'dam to Gouda and ride the rest thereby completely missing R'dam. I did similar last summer.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. I've just booked flights for me and my 9 year old and our bikes to Amsterdam in August for a fortnights trip. Hoping the rest of the family might join us too but we'll have fun anyway.

We are mostly going to camp and hopefully use the nature camping sites but we will use small hotels if the weather is rough. You're recommended to book the friends B&B's at least 24 hours in advance but that should be fine for you. Someone mentioned a value hotel/hostel chain somewhere I saw in here (stay okay) and warm showers might be an option too.

Ps which maps are you going to take? I don't quite trust my gps so I think I'm going to take the Falk maps for my trip too. http://www.stanfords.co.uk/North-Hollan ... 9028724457
CyclingTerrier

Post by CyclingTerrier »

Don't think it's that necessary to miss out Rotterdam. Very navigable, bike friendly (obvs) and a lot to see and do. Plus it's a doable distance from port with the nippers.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

If you are going up the coast the dunes could be fun. This summer my 6 & 14 yods are campaigning to stay at Duinrell for a few nights! Eek! We are camping and cycling from HVH.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

MrsHJ wrote:I which maps are you going to take?
These are the best maps:
http://webshop.fietsvakantiewinkel.nl/b ... outes.html
£25 inc postage, the whole country on individual waterproof paper maps at two miles to the inch. All cycle routes shown. Fit in bar bag ma[case.
Clever people, the Dutch.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

MartinBrice wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:I which maps are you going to take?
These are the best maps:
http://webshop.fietsvakantiewinkel.nl/b ... outes.html
£25 inc postage, the whole country on individual waterproof paper maps at two miles to the inch. All cycle routes shown. Fit in bar bag ma[case.
Clever people, the Dutch.

Ordered. :) thank you
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

We did a similar tour leaving the Hook of Holland and cycling up the Rhine via Amsterdam , Amelsfoort and Arnhem.
The cycling from Hook to Haarlem is all on dedicated cycle paths along the sand dunes: very pleasant indeed (providing it is not windy!) and your two 9 year olds will love it.
We stayed athe Hotel Carillon in Haarlem city centre opposite the cathedral with a huge choice of where to eat in the evening.
The added bonus of staying at the Carillon was the undercover secure cycle garage just 25m round the corner from the hotel in the city centre where you can safely leave your bike overnight. Just beware, if you want to leave early on Sunday, the bike garage does not open early (this is not a problem Monday through to Saturday)
katierbrett

Post by katierbrett »

What a fantastic organisation this is. I'm so pleased I joined.
I've just checked my post and all the replies are incredibly helpful. Really excited now! No one I know does this sort of thing with there kids so it's nice ro have helpful rather than incredulous responses. Some people seem to think suggesting kids ride more than a mile or two is tantamount to child cruelty!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

katierbrett wrote:What a fantastic organisation this is. I'm so pleased I joined.
I've just checked my post and all the replies are incredibly helpful. Really excited now! No one I know does this sort of thing with there kids so it's nice ro have helpful rather than incredulous responses. Some people seem to think suggesting kids ride more than a mile or two is tantamount to child cruelty!

My son did say that he'd never get on a bike again after we cycled across Brittany on the Nantes Brest canal in 2014. Of course he has done and then two or three months ago he asked if we could do another big cycle trip and he and his sister selected the Low Countries for flatness reasons ( I haven't explained about the problem with flat plus wind yet). I just think the cycling infrastructure is amazing there. We are following the Zuider zee cycle route although we will probably chop off the topmost section with the ferry alternative.

Did your twins volunteer for this trip or are they just relaxed about it?

Junior almost scuppered the last trip before it began when we got off the ferry at roscof and there is a small hill to ride up to get on to the towns streets. Then we had tantrums about cycling on the roads and it being too far. Things were easier once we got to the train station as we'd arranged it to go by train (and stay in a hotel right next to the canal ) so as to start at the other end of Brittany and cycle back!
Last edited by MrsHJ on 3 Mar 2016, 8:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

katierbrett wrote:What a fantastic organisation this is. I'm so pleased I joined.

:lol: :lol: My (then) five year old reported at school one Monday that she had ridden her bike 15 miles over the weekend. The teacher 'had a word' with me about her lying. Imagine her surprise when I told the teacher that Mini V had underestimated the mileage by a couple of miles. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
katierbrett

Post by katierbrett »

MrsHJ wrote:

My son did say that he'd never get on a bike again after we cycled across Brittany on the Nantes Brest canal in 2014. Of course he has done and then two or three months ago he asked if we could do another big cycle trip and he and his sister selected the Low Countries for flatness reasons ( I haven't explained about the problem with flat plus wind yet). I just think the cycling infrastructure is amazing there. We are following the Zuider zee cycle route although we will probably chop off the topmost section with the ferry alternative.

Did your twins volunteer for this trip or are they just relaxed about

Junior almost scuppered the last trip before it began when we got off the ferry at roscof and there is a small hill to ride up to get on to the towns streets. Then we had tantrums about cycling on the roads and it being too far. Things were easier once we got to the train station as we'd arranged it to go by train (and stay in a hotel right next to the canal ) so as to start at the other end of Brittany and cycle back!

Wow! How long did the Brittany trip take?
Mine have done lots of cycling with me since they were very little and we built the distance up. I did 4 days in France- we leave nr a ferry terminal! Before we tried the dieppe Paris run and did some distance cycles they enjoyed so they were up for the challenge when we did dieppe to paris in October. However it had a couple of dodgy melt down moments with twin 2 before I worked out that we needed to rest every 4 miles, chill out and have a proper snack (ie chocolate which is not normally particularly forth coming in our house). After I got that right it was great.

They are keen to do the holland trip but the selling point is definately the flatness. I find this a bit ironic as they actually beat me up hills every time!
Thanks for the post!
katierbrett

Post by katierbrett »

Vorpal wrote:

:lol: :lol: My (then) five year old reported at school one Monday that she had ridden her bike 15 miles over the weekend. The teacher 'had a word' with me about her lying. Imagine her surprise when I told the teacher that Mini V had underestimated the mileage by a couple of miles. :lol:

That's hilarious!!!!!! I love it.