Chain replacement before a trip?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RobinS

Chain replacement before a trip?

Post by RobinS »

Hi - We are off in a few weeks for a 3-4000 mile tour around Europe. Would people who have done this length of trip recommend replacing our chains before we go? They don't need replacing at the moment, as they have only done around 1200-1500 miles - but am thinking they may not last the whole trip?

Robin
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Chain replacement before a trip?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You will almost certainly pick up a spare chain on route in Europe.
I would take a spare chain and a cheap chain gauge just to compare as you go, then swap chain when you get above 1 %.
A chain will go further but at the expense of cassette and crank chain wheels.
If at 1% stretch if the drive is still quite and are not suffering chain suck (difficult to change gear) you can put the old chain back on after the second (new spare) goes west, then you will have an idea how long they last.
Some here will say you can survive that mileage on one chain but bad weather lack of lube and grit can destroy a cheap chain in a few hundred miles.

Get some one to check your whole drive train before you go.
And practice fitting a chain before you set off.
Prudent for at least one spare chain between you, I would do at the least, don't forget some lube and some gloves, a bit of rag will help, also quick links, and a reliable chain splitter!

Good luck
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If in doubt I would change it, and try it out to make sure it works with your part worn cassette / chain rings. Pack a rivet extractor and spare joining links and you should be fine.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=103770

Very useful thread about parts to take - I would err towards taking the minimum spares, but because of this I am looking towards more prevention than cure!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Yes.

I think it would also be worth considering changing the middle and inner chainrings too.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I'd usually change the chain and cassette prior to a tour....£40 max?...plus a new set of treads and you can set off with a fair bit of confidence....a front crank is pretty inexpensive in most cases and as stated for your proposed mileage it might be worth doing but depends what sort of mileage you have on the original....10,000 miles should be doable before changing.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

I'd simply put a new (good quality) chain on now, make sure you've done few long rides before you go to ensure all is well and make sure the rest of the bike is tip top when you set off. A couple of spare links and a couple of kwik links together with a chain extractor will get you out of trouble and weighs very little, much lighter than a spare chain.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Thanks for the comments everyone - have ordered a new chain with quicklink for each bike which I will put on before departure. I reckon with relatively low mileage the rest of the drivetrain should be well within normal wear limits even by the end of the tour, but will give it all a very thorough going over before we go. Also getting new tyres, and will replace the batteries in the bike computers, as one has been in for several years already!

Incidentally - how do people go about cleaning chains and cassettes when touring? It is a messy job at the best of times, and on unsurfaced trails they do get very gritty.
pwa

Post by pwa »

RobinS wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone - have ordered a new chain with quicklink for each bike which I will put on before departure. I reckon with relatively low mileage the rest of the drivetrain should be well within normal wear limits even by the end of the tour, but will give it all a very thorough going over before we go. Also getting new tyres, and will replace the batteries in the bike computers, as one has been in for several years already!

Incidentally - how do people go about cleaning chains and cassettes when touring? It is a messy job at the best of times, and on unsurfaced trails they do get very gritty.

Perhaps swap the tyres around (front to rear) as they wear. Identify where you can get replacements en route. And find a secure place to keep those quicklinks. I've lost a few.

For road touring I just use a rag / tissue on the chain and apply new oil. But for offroad I will leave others to offer ideas.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

RobinS wrote:Incidentally - how do people go about cleaning chains and cassettes when touring? It is a messy job at the best of times, and on unsurfaced trails they do get very gritty.

Cloth baby wipes. Seriously.

I don't know what lube you use and if you're happy with what you have then stick with it, but I use Purple Extreme which I find doesn't result in the same build-up of gunk as the waxy lubes like Finish Line. IME it doesn't last as long as they claim, but a little goes a long way.
ossie

Post by ossie »

As stated above I use baby wipes....as for lube, my chain was stripped by incessant rain on my last tour and I ran out of lube after a couple of weeks. I managed to get some Finish Line wet lube (cross country) in France (its called Finish Line Humides over there) and just one application lasted a couple of more rain soaked weeks....it does get a bit gunky after a while (goes on very thick) as people have said but I thought it was worth it for the price and the simple reason I could apply it and forget about it..
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'd rather replace, fit new, etc, before a big tour. I can't see the point in setting off on half worn stuff that won't last the trip. If you have something part worn, save it at home for later. This goes for tyres as well.

As I said in the earlier post about carrying spares and tools. If you set out on fresh gear, then less spares and tools needed. I really can't see the point in penny pinching when going off on a long tour. If money is tight, a few less beers, coffees or croissants!
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

simonhill wrote:I'd rather replace, fit new, etc, before a big tour. I can't see the point in setting off on half worn stuff that won't last the trip. If you have something part worn, save it at home for later. This goes for tyres as well.

This is the line I have decided to take - new chains, new tyres, overhaul and thorough check of everything else - then take minimal spares. With camping kit etc. for three months we will have enough of a load anyway!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

simonhill wrote:I'd rather replace, fit new, etc, before a big tour. I can't see the point in setting off on half worn stuff that won't last the trip. If you have something part worn, save it at home for later. This goes for tyres as well.

And chainrings. I couldn't put my heart on my heart and say that a chainring won't last 5,000 miles or so, but with Chain Reaction selling Deore middle and inner chainrings for less than a tenner, it doesn't seem worth not doing.