Anyone know what this Italian sign means

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ukdodger

Anyone know what this Italian sign means

Post by ukdodger »

I'm considering cycling to Rome this year. This is either in or just after the Alps.

Also the highest climb is over 7000ft. Anyone been over that. How bad was it?

Any tips on places to avoid like dangerous (to cyclists) roads, tunnels etc appreciated.

Nareloc

Re: Anyone know what this Italian sign means

Post by Nareloc »

Attention! Speed Camera!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The only Italian I have is from watching Inspector Montalbano. I'd hazard a guess that says something along the lines of speed monitoring. Cameras or sensors maybe.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Paulatic wrote:The only Italian I have is from watching Inspector Montalbano. I'd hazard a guess that says something along the lines of speed monitoring. Cameras or sensors maybe.

Thanks. It's the 'Velo' something at the bottom that's bothering me.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ukdodger wrote:...

Thick "velocity"

Ian
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Psamathe wrote:
ukdodger wrote:...

Thick "velocity"

Ian

Or 'Velobanned'
cliffyboy1962

Post by cliffyboy1962 »

Literal translation "Attention ! Electronic control of the Speed"
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

cliffyboy1962 wrote:Literal translation "Attention ! Electronic control of the Speed"

Thanks.
craggie

Post by craggie »

FWI bicycle is bicicletta, or bici for short.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

craggie wrote:FWI bicycle is bicicletta, or bici for short.

Cheers craggie. But I've decided against it now anyway. Too many of the roads look like motorways and the Alps at my age might be pushing my luck.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Controllo, controle, Kontrol etc. is what language students call a ‘false friend’: it can mean ‘control’, but usually means ‘check’ - as in passport-control, etc. In this case, electronic speed check.
Highest climb is 7000ft - do you mean climbing 7000ft, or climbing to 7000ft? Most Alpine passes, you’ll be starting the day at 3000ft or more, the roads (assuming main roads) are well engineered to a slope of usually not much over 5-6%, and unless you’re in the Netherlands or East Anglia, you’re probably used to climbing at least 100ft per mile anyway. Also you won’t be doing the constant uppy-downy stuff you often get in hilly country - I’ve often climbed nearly as much crossing the Pennines as you do crossing the Alps!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

nirakaro wrote:Controllo, controle, Kontrol etc. is what language students call a ‘false friend’: it can mean ‘control’, but usually means ‘check’ - as in passport-control, etc. In this case, electronic speed check.
Highest climb is 7000ft - do you mean climbing 7000ft, or climbing to 7000ft? Most Alpine passes, you’ll be starting the day at 3000ft or more, the roads (assuming main roads) are well engineered to a slope of usually not much over 5-6%, and unless you’re in the Netherlands or East Anglia, you’re probably used to climbing at least 100ft per mile anyway. Also you won’t be doing the constant uppy-downy stuff you often get in hilly country - I’ve often climbed nearly as much crossing the Pennines as you do crossing the Alps!

That's interesting. Have you crossed the Alps?
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Several times - it's my favourite bit of a tour! What route have you got in mind?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

One thing, as i recall the law in italy demands that you wear a hiviz top/tabard when cycling through tunnels. Also possibly i think outside urban areas after dusk. The last rule strikes me as typical italian *****. Maybe the multiple police forces could better use their time reducing the number of folk of all ages regularly mown down on the strisce/zebras. Must admit that i don't know if the second rule, if i have got it right, is enforced. Maybe andy miller could advise.
Sweep
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

nirakaro wrote:Several times - it's my favourite bit of a tour! What route have you got in mind?

This one. I picked on road because most of the Velo cycle paths I used to Berlin last year were really mountain bike paths.

If you have any other routes I'd like to hear them.