Brooks Saddle Help!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AaronR

Brooks Saddle Help!

Post by AaronR »

Hi,

Had a long break from here after completing half my JOGLE trip last May, bike has been used for daily commuting and off road since, but soon to be replaced with a shiny Specialized AWOL

The stock saddle is the same (and fortunately) correct size for me, but as that was not quite comfortable enough for 100+ mile days last year I'm looking at alternatives

Is there anyone out there who has a standard Brooks B17 I could borrow for a week or so? I know they 'break in' to a certain degree, so one thats been used and broken in would be better than a shiny new one.. just want to see if they live up to their claims before shelling out for one!

My bike lives in the house, and behind my desk at work so unless it gets wet while riding will be well looked after, local to Southampton would be perfect, and more than happy to leave the cost of a new saddle as a deposit for its safe return

Anyone out there with one of the new Cambium C17 synthetic touring saddles I'd be interested in your views on their finish, ease of cleaning, and comfort compared to the originals - I know that well looked after Brooks saddles seem to live forever but as bike is used daily in all conditions wonder whether the C17 might be a wiser purchase
Heltor Chasca

Re: Brooks Saddle Help!

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Aaron. I've got a C17 on each bike. I'm a convert. Easy to clean. Happy to get wet and zero maintenance. I had an issue with loosening seat bolts which Brooks resolved with a fist full of bolts and advice on locktite. Well over 1K on both and still going well. Comfy and no run in time.
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Thanks - they look good 'on paper' but was a bit worried about how the outer surface would wear as from their website pictures it looks like fabric moulded onto the saddle
robgul

Post by robgul »

AaronR wrote:Thanks - they look good 'on paper' but was a bit worried about how the outer surface would wear as from their website pictures it looks like fabric moulded onto the saddle

I have a Cambium on one of my bikes - so far so good in terms of wear (none!) and comfort is fine - no problem if it gets wet. The bike it's on is a new one - all my other bikes except a Dahon folder have B17 saddles ... I "saw the light" about 4 years ago and converted :)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

I recently bought a new B17 after using my well worn (50p from the car boot) one for ever (still using it on my other bike). I was a bit worried about the "breaking in" period but it was very comfortable out of the box. If you use mudguards and don't leave the bike sat in the rain then there seems to be no issues with them getting wet. I pop a plastic bag on it on the odd occasion it goes on a bike rack. Don't know if this helps you at all but thought I'd pass on my love of B17's. :D
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

One of the things about brooks saddles is they mold themselves to shape of your sit bones, although the leather will be softer the shape on a used brooks will be molded to users behind not yours, the break in is not too bad as long as you don't try to do 100 miles as the first trip. Even if the brooks doesn't suit you they sell for good money in good condition, if works out for you it could be the best cycling investment you make.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I slightly disagree.
My Brooks Team Pro was fitted on 2nd Feb 2006 brand new.
That month, I rode 150miles.
March, I did 240miles
April 260
May 220
Jun 340
July 1,815 miles LE to JOG and Back. :D

My Brooks is as hard now as it was then. Hard as nails.
Yes, it's bent a tiny bit to fit my bum, but still as hard as ever and not really moulded at all, and I've never needed to tighten the nose bolt.
To date, the saddle has supported me a tad over 35,000miles.

All bums are different.
Mine happens to like a hard solid saddle.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

But Mick you road a chopper on your jogle, most saddles are probably scared of YOU now. It does illustrate the point though, brooks saddles are different, most B17,s seem to be molded to shape after a few miles. I have a new black B17 ti at home and it feels very different to my brown one with 4000 miles on it.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Mick F wrote:I slightly disagree.
My Brooks Team Pro was fitted on 2nd Feb 2006 brand new.

1) the older the Brooks the longer it will last. If you have a well maintained 30 year old one it will turn 40 with no problems. Buy one new now and chances are it will probably be a sagging mess in 10 years time. Probably something to do with all the cows sitting behind a computer and growing weak.
2) B17's do not use the same quality leather as the Pro's
3) Brooks is an Italian company now, nuff said
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

m-gineering wrote:3) Brooks is an Italian company now, nuff said

Brooks seems to be in good hands, so far as I can tell. Italians appreciate tradition and craftsmanship; sadly I suspect that's no longer true for a lot of British companies.
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

andymiller wrote:
m-gineering wrote:3) Brooks is an Italian company now, nuff said

Brooks seems to be in good hands, so far as I can tell. Italians appreciate tradition and craftsmanship; sadly I suspect that's no longer true for a lot of British companies.

Alt Berg boots, a long established Yorkshire bootmaker are now a suppler to the army (probably after years of troops buying their own boots from there instead of wearing issue kit), their boots are made in Italy and I had a pair of their motorcycle boots that I wore daily for 3 years and sold for 4/5 of the new price, and wear their current issue boots daily with zero complaints

I've decided to take the plunge and try a Cambium C17 Carved saddle.. if it turns out not to be right for me they seem to resell very quickly

Thanks all for your input
barneybear69

Post by barneybear69 »

I have a b17 fitted on my tourer which I've done lejog (100 +miles day after day) on and Hadrian's cycleway In a day (175 miles) and many thousands in between. Mine gets no treatment at all so I'm now concerned when I'm reading your stories. Mine is like a comfy armchair - no issues at all. On long rides
2016 Mallorca touring htttp://www.mallorcacycletouring.co.uk

2011 Lands End to John O'Groats http://www.nigelend2end.co.uk

Raleigh Chopper C2C http://purplechopper.co.uk

Tourer: 2010 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Restored Raleigh Chopper MK2 (1974)