Our last trip: Italy - Vienna - Salzburg - Italy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cyclingovereurope

Our last trip: Italy - Vienna - Salzburg - Italy

Post by cyclingovereurope »

Hello,

Last season we went from Tarvisio (Italy) to Vienna going back through Salzburg. We travelled along several interesting routes like eurovelo 9, eurovelo 6, eurovelo 7, thermenradweg, alpe adria radweg, murradweg, drauradweg, donauradweg. We'd like to share our experience with who could be interested in having information about this paths

If you want you can find tales and gps tracks here:

http://cyclingovereurope.blogspot.it/p/summary.html

Heltor Chasca

Re: Our last trip: Italy - Vienna - Salzburg - Italy

Post by Heltor Chasca »

A staggeringly good blog. I have only skimmed over it so far, but I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing...b
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

I've only skimmed over it too but will be going back for a full read,looks great and has bits I intend to do.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It's a great route. Thanks for posting (Grazie, complimenti).

This is a really interesting part of Europe to visit as it's a meeting point between three different languages and cultures.

If anyone is thinking of doing this route, there are some options/variations that are worth knowing about:

- there's a spectacular cyclewaye (the FVG1) which follows the old railway line to Resiutta south from Tarvisio. This won an award for being one of Europe's best cycleways. It's well worth doing as a side-trip (or you can continue following the Ciclovia Alpe Adria Radweg to Grado on the Adriatic coast);

- the upper section of the Drauradweg is also worth exploring.This starts at Toblach (Dobbiaco) in Italy where it links to other international routes - so for example you could come into Italy by the Brenner pass and then follow the PusterBike cycle route through the PusterTal to Toblach and then cross back into Austria. Note though that Drauradweg has some long sections of unsurfaced cycleway - definitely do-able on a decent touring bike;

- in Carinthia there seems to be a network of good well-signposted routes around the lakes between Villach and Klagenfurt which looked like it would have been worth a detour to explore;

- there are a couple of projects to promote cross-border cycle routes between Slovenija and Italy. For example there's the AdriaBike route which runs from Kranjska Gora to Ravenna and the Bike Alpe Adria (unfortunately there are a number of projects with very similar names) which promotes a number of routes mainly to the south of The Trglavski Narodni national park including a circular route linking Tolmin, with Cividale del Friuli and Gorizia.

(Note to cyclingovereurope - I couldn't get the links from the index/sommario page to work on my iPod - presumably because it uses Flash animations. did I miss something? It might be worth putting in some normal links as a back up - otherwise there doesn't seem to be any way to navigate through the articles).
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
cyclingovereurope

andymiller wrote:(Note to cyclingovereurope - I couldn't get the links from the index/sommario page to work on my iPod - presumably because it uses Flash animations. did I miss something? It might be worth putting in some normal links as a back up - otherwise there doesn't seem to be any way to navigate through the articles).

Hello Andy, thank you for interest and for suggestions. I think you should navigate better by a desktop/notebook computer (It's a css problem :( ). In the meantime this is the link to first stage (http://cyclingovereurope.blogspot.it/p/season-2-stage-1.html) I will try to improve the smartphone version soon (Hoping to find time!!! :oops:)

complimenti per il tuo sito!!!
cyclingovereurope

andymiller wrote:(Note to cyclingovereurope - I couldn't get the links from the index/sommario page to work on my iPod - presumably because it uses Flash animations. did I miss something? It might be worth putting in some normal links as a back up - otherwise there doesn't seem to be any way to navigate through the articles).

Now i think the mobile version is right, in portrait mode
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

It's probably just me but i can't be doing with all the text box and background image animations on the individual day pages. They make the text swim over the screen and i find it uncomfortable to view. Sadly I'm going to miss out on reading about your travels.
What was the reasoning behind this design decision ?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Hi guys

Nearly there guys it looks like you need to tweak your CSS (the width settings?).

IMG_0246.PNG

(sorry I hate to seem negative but I always prefer to people to tell me if theres a problem rather than not tell me).

Screenshot of the page in Safari Mobile.

PS it would be worth editing your original post as the link still points to the old version of the page.
cyclingovereurope

andymiller wrote:Hi guys

Nearly there guys it looks like you need to tweak your CSS (the width settings?).

IMG_0246.PNG

(sorry I hate to seem negative but I always prefer to people to tell me if theres a problem rather than not tell me).

Screenshot of the page in Safari Mobile.

PS it would be worth editing your original post as the link still points to the old version of the page.

Thanks for the feedbacks...I appreciate every suggestion, i will work on them soon. [emoji375] [emoji375]
syklist

Post by syklist »

fishfright wrote:It's probably just me but i can't be doing with all the text box and background image animations on the individual day pages. They make the text swim over the screen and i find it uncomfortable to view. Sadly I'm going to miss out on reading about your travels.

+1 I also find the bright colours a significant barrier to viewing the site. Maybe it works better on a smartphone but I don't have one of those.
So long and thanks for all the fish...