Backup drivetrain bits

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andymiller

Re: Backup drivetrain bits

Post by andymiller »

whoof wrote:I tour in Europe and if I needed anything else I would go to a shop.

People say that, but IME it isn't that straightforward.

Even in Western European countries with lots of cyclists, you can often be at least a couple of days cycling from a decent bike shop - for example there are only two proper bike shops on Corsica, so if you have a problem somewhere between them then you need to limp to one or the other. And in many places they shut Sundays, and maybe Mondays as well. Shops are usually pretty good about helping out touring cyclists, but there's a limit to how much you can expect to jump the queue if they have a lot of regular customers waiting. Outside of the main towns bike shops often are one-person businesses operating on a shoestring, and have very limited stocks - so even if you just want a proper chain lube then you may be struggling. It may actually be quicker to get something shipped to you by Chain Reaction than wait for the shop to order it in from a local distributor.

These examples are very much from experience (although I should say that I have had plenty of positive experiences to put on the other side of the balance sheet). You can't take spares to counter every eventuality, but I tend to take the attitude that if a part is easy to replace, and light, then it's worth carrying. If you know you're likely to need something (eg chain lube) then it makes most sense to pack it rather than hope to be able to buy it on the road.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

[quote="Bigdummysteve"

No I agree :D you can't take spares for everything but a little ingenuity goes a long way, I've heard of people zip tying a broken freewheel to the spokes to keep goining.[/quote]

I've never taken spares other than a tube, a cable, a chain link. Even when something happens, there's always a way out it (Nb. My freewheel failed on 90 mile beach, New Zealand. Flagged down a motorist, who flagged down a local AA recovery truck, who gave me a lift to a local hotel 10-20 miles away (Didn't realize until 10-20 minutes later that he'd probably expected a bit of cash :oops: )
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In a strange way, the longer you go for possibly the less you need.

On a short tour, it is likely to be more intensive and a day or two out more of a problem. If away for a few months, a bus ride to a town to get it sorted is a mere blip.

A few years ago in Cambodia, my mate had a split rim. As it was 700 we knew no chance of getting it there. We bussed to nearest hotel, he took off wheel, bussed to border, then on to Bangkok where we knew the rim could be replaced. He then came back. I had pedalled on one day to nicer town so no grief for me. We 'lost' about 3 days in a 2+ month trip.
whoof

Post by whoof »

andymiller wrote:
whoof wrote:I tour in Europe and if I needed anything else I would go to a shop.

People say that, but IME it isn't that straightforward.

I've always found it to be pretty straightforward. I tour a lot in France including Corsica where you can get bike stuff from a supermarket. There's also hardware shops and garages. As others have said you can do a lot with a little knowledge and a few bits and pieces such as cable ties.

I drive a car and carry a spare wheel, a jack, wheel brace, pump and some spare bulbs.

I don't know anyone who carries spare spark-plugs, distributor cap, fan belt, alternator, fuel pump, gaskets........
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:I don't know anyone who carries spare spark-plugs, distributor cap, fan belt, alternator, fuel pump, gaskets........

:oops: but not that I always have all the tools to fit them all in the car! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

whoof wrote:When touring I take
2 tubes and a puncture repair kit plus a couple of inches of old tyre as a boot.
Some allen keys and a 8 & 10 mm spanner.
A chain tool
1 brake , 1 gear cable.
A couple of M4 and M5 nuts and bolts, I've tried to get all the nuts and bolts on the bike down to two sizes.
Some cable ties and electrical tape
A penknife with a screw driver.

Pretty much the same here - I take a Leatherman, multitool and a small adjustable spanner. The only thing I'd add is about 4 links of chain and a fast chain link. Personally I don't bother with spare cables.

If your freewheel goes you can zip tie it to the spokes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sounds kinda sensible. Cables are small to carry for sure but from my experience of largish italian supermarkets you would easily find a new one.
Sweep
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

How do you guys get the cassette off to zip tie the freewheel to the spokes if you haven't got the tools? ( I,m sure I could do it in a pinch but tips are always good) and instruction on how to tie the freewheel to the spokes would be handy for me to know just in case ,thanks for any info.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

thornie1543 wrote:How do you guys get the cassette off to zip tie the freewheel to the spokes if you haven't got the tools? ( I,m sure I could do it in a pinch but tips are always good) and instruction on how to tie the freewheel to the spokes would be handy for me to know just in case ,thanks for any info.

You touch on a good point here, it's not the parts but often the tools that take up the weight and space. How many people tour with a chain whip, cassette lock ring tool and large spanner on fit on that tool? Or that bottom bracket fixed cup removal tool? I guess not many.

The only time I needed to tie my cassette to the spokes was when my Campag Centaur MTB freehub just broke and span freely, (a fair no. of years ago). I was only 7 to 8 miles from home, so a bit of a walk but not in the middle of nowhere. I went to the nearest old wire fence I knew of and worked the wire back and forth until it broke. Then I laced the wire through the gaps in the largest sprocket and then through the spokes, no need to remove anything. Then I took it easily and smoothly all the way home, about 80m of climbing nearest home. Being used to riding fixed certainly helped. On tour in hilly terain and with a big load would be a different proposition.
hamster

Post by hamster »

thornie1543 wrote:How do you guys get the cassette off to zip tie the freewheel to the spokes if you haven't got the tools? ( I,m sure I could do it in a pinch but tips are always good) and instruction on how to tie the freewheel to the spokes would be handy for me to know just in case ,thanks for any info.

You don't take the cassette off: simply run the zip ties through the slots on the largest sprocket and round the spokes. Ideally several zip ties is best.
In emergency use a front spoke.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

whoof wrote:When touring I take
2 tubes and a puncture repair kit plus a couple of inches of old tyre as a boot.
Some allen keys and a 8 & 10 mm spanner.
A chain tool
1 brake , 1 gear cable.
A couple of M4 and M5 nuts and bolts, I've tried to get all the nuts and bolts on the bike down to two sizes.
Some cable ties and electrical tape
A penknife with a screw driver.

I tour in Europe and if I needed anything else I would go to a shop.

The worst incident I've had in 25 years of touring is the bolt holding the saddle to the seatpost braking. I rode 10 miles to a bike shop standing up and got a new bolt.

This is exactly what I take, plus a couple of kwik links.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Des49 wrote:You touch on a good point here, it's not the parts but often the tools that take up the weight and space. How many people tour with a chain whip, cassette lock ring tool and large spanner on fit on that tool? Or that bottom bracket fixed cup removal tool? I guess not many.

For cassette removal these is a wee gadget called a Hypercracker or NBT2 which Spa cycles stock. It locks into the frame and does the job of a chain whip and removal tool. It fits into a matchbox.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cycle/hypercrackers
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I started my distance touring carrying spare everything and I mean everything - full set of cables, pannier fixings, brake pads etc etc even bar tape!

Now I take much less, 2 cables, cleat bolts, brake pads, computer magnet, emergency spoke and of course toolage to do the repairs with.

I tour in Europe so at most i'm an hour from civilisation. Pre trip maintenance is the key - new tyres, chain, cassette if required, cables, brake pads. My maintenance programme is keyed around the tour so it's a timing thing. Essentially I set off with all new, clean, sparkly bits - my failures on tour have been tyre/tube related in 99/100 cases the 1% have been 2 spoke breakages on the same trip - I nursed the second one for a further 1000km!

Don't let fear of breakdown put you off, enjoy your riding!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've changed a chain since I last posted here. My new chain is a KMC and I have ordered a spare missing link.

I'm not yet carrying spare spokes long distance. I suppose I should, but need to practice truing wheels.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

hamster wrote:
Des49 wrote:You touch on a good point here, it's not the parts but often the tools that take up the weight and space. How many people tour with a chain whip, cassette lock ring tool and large spanner on fit on that tool? Or that bottom bracket fixed cup removal tool? I guess not many.

For cassette removal these is a wee gadget called a Hypercracker or NBT2 which Spa cycles stock. It locks into the frame and does the job of a chain whip and removal tool. It fits into a matchbox.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cycle/hypercrackers
I don't know what the bloke in the picture is doing but one thing he's not doing is using a Hypercracker to remove a cassette. You need the chain on the largest sprocket to do that. If you buy one of them I'd recommend using it for the first time in the comfort and safety of home before you set off. There's definitely a learning curve to those things. Still adrenaline and desperation works wonders.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West