Pannier recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Pannier recommendations

Post by Sweep »

Wiggle has some decent discounts on Altura panniers at the mo.

Poor display of product though - no pics of rear of panniers and I think Altura uses two different types of hook - I prefer the better R & K ones - so research on Altura web site needed.
Sweep
tommaso

Post by tommaso »

Hello.
Last November I bought a pair of Red WP100 from fahrrad.de . Paid about 60 euros and used for 5 days under a strong rain without any problem. I am very happy of them.
ww.fahrrad.de/rcp-wp100-gepaecktraegertaschen-221087.html

Tommaso
robing

Post by robing »

bikes4two wrote:To add to the pile of excellent panniers already mentioned, I've used Altura Dryline for many years without any cause for complaint. :)

I've been using these for several years. I like them and they are hard wearing, but you need to line them with rubble bags as they are not completely waterproof unlike Ortliebs.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I love my Super Cs.

I'm on my second pair, the first lasted 14 years of touring and are now my shopping and day trip panniers. The second are about ten years and still OK. There are a few wear holes, but nothing serious. You do need to use poly bags for full waterproofness, but the up side is that they breath which is a benefit in the tropics where I mainly tour.

I think the Cs are excellent for anyone doing extended tours, because they are very durable and also repairable because they are heavy cotton (like canvas).

I also like the well worn look they get. Not a fan of plastic and shiney.

I don't think Super Cs are necessarily the best for the OP, but they'll do for me.

Oh and I love the big rear pockets, currently water in one and odds and sods in other, including tablet, guidebook, sun cream, peanuts and a small cartons of milk that I wouldn't risk in the maini compartment.
GigiAlfN7

Post by GigiAlfN7 »

Gosh! So many brilliant replies!
Thank you all very much for this valuable intel.
Gigi
ossie

Post by ossie »

Rubble sacks are great...

Ortliebs or non waterproof panniers its worth using them so you can swiftly extract your contents into your dry tent rather than taking the whole soaking, sometimes dirty pannier...

I leave my panniers on the bike in inclement weather, extract the clean rubble bags into my tent / porch so I have access to the contents.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

I've used Ortlieb or similar dry bags inside my Super Cs for complete waterproofing or keeping kit separated.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bikercolin wrote:Touring is mainly peopled by riders with Ortlieb and those who wish they had Ortlieb especially when it rains or when using the quick easy attachment method.

Ortliebs are excelleny yes but i personally don't find the attachment easy. I always have to feel to see that the clip has closed properly at the bottom. And the clip inserts are notorious for coming out. The inserts in my alturas have never budged and the R&K clip on system (the better one with a lock and red button release) is very easy and secure. Taking ortliebs OFF is definitely very easy.
Sweep