Pannier recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GigiAlfN7

Pannier recommendations

Post by GigiAlfN7 »

I would be grateful for tips on which panniers to buy to clip onto the back wheel of my steel-framed Condor Fratello road bike to go touring for up to 10 days.

In particular, tips on:
reliable, robust brand,
essential features,
recommended size

would be very helpful as the prices seem to vary a lot from my initial research.

Thanks!
Gigi
whoof

Re: Pannier recommendations

Post by whoof »

If you do a search on here there will be a lot on here about panniers.
I'm sure you will get many replies and a lot will recommend either Carradice or Ortleib. Neither are cheap but both are good quality. My Ortleib roller classics are 13 years old and still going strong.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b0s74p984

These have a secure fitting system that also makes them easy to get on and off. They are 100 water-proof and come as a pair. The down side is there are no pockets. However, I put all my things like wallet and camera in a bar bag which is also useful for mounting a map and tools and tubes in a small under-saddle pack.

Spacycles and bikeplus are good online shops
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s74p0
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/c/351/Pannier-Bags

For 10 days not camping I would take one rear pannier and a bar bag. If you have too much room the temptation will be to fill them!

Be careful of heel clearance. That is, if the pannier sits too far forward on the rack your heel hits it when you pedal. Touring bikes have longer chainstays that a 'standard' road bike to help avoid this, you might want to try before you buy.
robing

Post by robing »

Only one word you need - Ortlieb.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Hi Gigi

Things to think about:

Waterproof or not waterproof? Not all panniers are waterproof: cheaper ones generally aren't - but if you get put your stuff in a builders' rubble bag then they will be just fine.

Size? A pair of rear panniers will be generally have 40-something litres for a pair. Front panniers are generally 30-something for the pair. You can put front panniers on the back if you don't have much stuff. I would buy a set of standard rear panniers for your trip and then try not to fill them to capacity.

Rolltop or not rolltop? Many panniers have a roll-top closure. Others have a lid (not sure if that's the right word). Personally I prefer the lidded ones as you can tighten down the straps - although I must admit I've partially changed my mind since getting a pair of Axiom Typhoon panniers where the rolltop clips at the sides and tighten down (I think they are better than the Ortlieb equivalents even though they are a little on the small side). Lomo Watersports do a nice reasonably-priced bag that does the same thing. (http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-b ... i-vis.html ).

The clip-on systems are all pretty similar. Personally I always use 50mm-wide webbing "tie-down" straps to secure the panniers and act as a backup in case the clips develop a fault. (I speak from experience with both Ortlieb and Vaude panniers).
Last edited by andymiller on 15 Feb 2016, 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

It comes down to try them out and pick the ones you like. I got Altura Arc panniers as they are light compared to most others. I like them for the weight and the connection mechanism, and the fact they are still 40 litres between them. For 10 days the amount of space you need is again going to depend on how much you want to take with you. Some people are able to do 6 months on just a saddle bag, others like to take a large number of luxuries. For me, a 10 day trip would necessitate 2 rear panniers (not necessarily stuffed full) and a bar bag for my valuables.

In general the below holds true for most brands (there are always exceptions)

Front panniers are smaller than rear panniers. These range usually from around 12.5lt each to 16lt each. Front panniers can be used on the rear if you need less luggage space.

Rear panniers usually start around 40lts. Some will go up to 56lt and more. You can use rear panniers on the front if that floats your boat.

External pockets can be useful for quick access to some stuff (eg. puncture repair kit)

The lighter the pannier, the less robust they are going to be.

The adage, "light, cheap, good, pick 2" definitely applies to panniers.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

Carradice Super Cs are brilliant and last forever.
webber

Post by webber »

diapason0 wrote:Carradice Super Cs are brilliant and last forever.

+ 1 excellent panniers had mine for 10 years :D
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

Touring is mainly peopled by riders with Ortlieb and those who wish they had Ortlieb especially when it rains or when using the quick easy attachment method.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

To add to the pile of excellent panniers already mentioned, I've used Altura Dryline for many years without any cause for complaint. :)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

bikercolin wrote:Touring is mainly peopled by riders with Ortlieb and those who wish they had Ortlieb especially when it rains or when using the quick easy attachment method.

And there are plenty of people who are suckers for 'reassuringly expensive' brands.

There are plenty of other panniers that offer the same level of waterproofing as Ortlieb (not to mention the humble builders rubble bag).

The Ortlieb pannier clips are fine but they really aren't that much better than the competition: personally I think the Rixen Kaul clips used by Altura are better.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Having used Ortlieb for a dozen years and more I still haven't found anything that works better or is genuinely lighter with the same performance. The new fixings are very easy to set up and as my original bags are still in use without having replaced anything - well that takes some beating. The moral is buy well, buy once. (Btw - avoid the City bags, the closure system is awkward to use and you don't get the useful organiser.)

For a 10 day non camping trip i'd use a pair of front bags on the rear. Plenty big enough for all your gear but enough room for stuff you might buy on the way - books, gifts etc, it's easy to be so minimalist space wise you can't carry even an extra hanky! Of course i'd use a bar bag for the valuables and snacks and the spares etc go under the saddle in a seatpack - you don't want to be opening bags to get to that stuff, it'll almost certainly be raining!

You haven't mentioned your rack, i'd suggest a Tortec Velocity rack - minimalist, light but able to happily take your ten day load or more, bonus is the low price, under £20 in some stores.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

My reassuringly expensive Ortleib bike roller city's cost £51 from bike plus three years ago and have completed five tours, still as good as new.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Ortliebs are a good fit for a Condor Fratello owner, I reckon - quite smart and definitely quality. Just got to choose the colour.

My own panniers, old Karrimor Iberians, are a third lighter but a bit more faff with double bagging sleeping bag etc. They do have the terrific big rear pockets, great for the two 1.5l Volvics on the biggest sunniest mountain days. I'd miss those. They're odds-n-ends pockets when the weather is less scorchy.
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Ive been using Crosso Dry panniers for the past few years. Not so well known as some other brands but they've served me very well on several trips to the continent. These are the cheapest ones they do but they've been 100% waterproof and 60litres per pair is ideal for me. Don't be put off by ordering them from Poland, their customer service seems excellent. I think mine cost around £60 including postage.
http://crosso.pl/en/produkt/dry-60-3/
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

In fact, they're now being distributed by a uk based company on eBay for £51.99 with free postage.