Sold secure gold D lock

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bainbridge

Sold secure gold D lock

Post by bainbridge »

Just ordered one of these for 17 pounds:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Squire-Eiger-Co ... _75671.htm

I need a decent lock because I'll be staying in 3 city centres next tour and can't guarantee a safe place for the bike.

1.38kg is an increase on my 900 gram kryptonite evolution d lock but at least this one can't be opened with a bic pen!
Sweep

Re: Sold secure gold D lock

Post by Sweep »

Says 21.98 now
Sweep
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

bainbridge wrote:1.38kg is an increase on my 900 gram kryptonite evolution d lock but at least this one can't be opened with a bic pen!

Did you miss out on their recall programme? They replaced my bic-pen special years ago with a brand new key operated lock free of charge.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It looks like they Krptonite did the recall programme, and stopped making that type of lock, in 2005 (Wikipedia).

The Kryptonite New York Standard is probably the best d-lock on the market (don't confuse it with the Fahgedabboutit which is probably too big and too heavy for most people).
Last edited by andymiller on 12 Feb 2016, 10:38am, edited 3 times in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yes it's an old old story, though maybe lives on on youtube.
Sweep
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Sweep wrote:Says 21.98 now

£5 discount if you sign up for the newsletter and free delivery so £16.98
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

TonyR wrote:
bainbridge wrote:1.38kg is an increase on my 900 gram kryptonite evolution d lock but at least this one can't be opened with a bic pen!

Did you miss out on their recall programme? They replaced my bic-pen special years ago with a brand new key operated lock free of charge.

Yes I missed out and was quite startled to learn that my £45 lock was rubbish, not to mention disappointed that kryptonite didn't inform me even though I'd registered the lock with them.

I raised a query via their website asking if they could do something for me but they replied saying the replacement scheme had ended and they'll rekey it for 20 bucks if it is mailed to the USA.

This new squire one looks ok, it's has a good review here:

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/690/ch ... -bike-lock
poppet

Post by poppet »

The Abus granit 54 is pretty good and the eazy kf mount is very nice (there are a few mount variants). Gold secured.

I often think it's OTT for touring but if peace of mind is important to you (as it is to me!) it can be added to the frame quite easily. It's relatively light for the protection it provides. The mechanism is nice and smooth and I like that it has a feature where the key can only be removed when it's locked (saves forgetting to turn it all the way). Both ends of the shackle are locked so both bars need to be cut to get the thing off.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think it was the gold rated squire d lock that got opened in just over a minute. Then they upgraded it and it lasted 3 minutes. Not sure about it personally. I'm really wary when there's something that offers a certain level of performance but is about half the price of most of the competitor's products.

If I recall it right you can use bolt cutters on one side to partially cut it then a simple lever attack breaks one side allowing you to twist it open. It's not a lock that locks both sides of the U bar in the cross piece which is probably a weakness. IIRC it's also lighter than most gold rated d locks, even the highly regarded and more expensive Abus granit range. Perhaps the material used isn't as strong as needed.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Tangled Metal wrote:I think it was the gold rated squire d lock that got opened in just over a minute. Then they upgraded it and it lasted 3 minutes. Not sure about it personally. I'm really wary when there's something that offers a certain level of performance but is about half the price of most of the competitor's products.

If I recall it right you can use bolt cutters on one side to partially cut it then a simple lever attack breaks one side allowing you to twist it open. It's not a lock that locks both sides of the U bar in the cross piece which is probably a weakness. IIRC it's also lighter than most gold rated d locks, even the highly regarded and more expensive Abus granit range. Perhaps the material used isn't as strong as needed.

Can you provide a link to some info regarding that 1 minute attack? I can't find anything like that relating to this lock.

It has the sold secure gold status so will qualify for theft cover on most bike policies. I anticipated it being less secure than the abus granite and other heavier locks but even so, the squire with a wire whip through the saddle and back wheel and a padlock will take a concerted effort to steal.

Hopefully they'll decide to take easier pickings elsewhere.
PH

Post by PH »

bainbridge wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I think it was the gold rated squire d lock that got opened in just over a minute. Then they upgraded it and it lasted 3 minutes. Not sure about it personally. I'm really wary when there's something that offers a certain level of performance but is about half the price of most of the competitor's products.

Can you provide a link to some info regarding that 1 minute attack? I can't find anything like that relating to this lock.

It has the sold secure gold status so will qualify for theft cover on most bike policies. I anticipated it being less secure than the abus granite and other heavier locks but even so, the squire with a wire whip through the saddle and back wheel and a padlock will take a concerted effort to steal.

I haven't, but from the description it isn't the lock in the original link, which is double locked and requires both sides to be cut. I used to be able to find the test criteria for Sold Secure ratings, maybe they were never public and I saw them in a trade mag. It's not that great, the difference between silver and gold was just a couple of minutes, and both were tested with the same level of cutting/breaking tools. What they've never released is how much better than the standard any lock is, you need independent reviews for this. Unless I needed one for insurance purposes, I'd be inclined to carry a lighter silver rated lock.
Tangled Metal wrote: I'm really wary when there's something that offers a certain level of performance but is about half the price of most of the competitor's products.

Depends what you mean by performance, it's quite easy to make a secure lock cheaper by ading more material. I have two with the same rating, one is almost twice the weight of the other and was half the price.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

PH wrote:
bainbridge wrote:

I haven't, but from the description it isn't the lock in the original link, which is double locked and requires both sides to be cut. I used to be able to find the test criteria for Sold Secure ratings, maybe they were never public and I saw them in a trade mag. It's not that great, the difference between silver and gold was just a couple of minutes, and both were tested with the same level of cutting/breaking tools. What they've never released is how much better than the standard any lock is, you need independent reviews for this. Unless I needed one for insurance purposes, I'd be inclined to carry a lighter silver rated lock.
Tangled Metal wrote: I'm really wary when there's something that offers a certain level of performance but is about half the price of most of the competitor's products.

Depends what you mean by performance, it's quite easy to make a secure lock cheaper by ading more material. I have two with the same rating, one is almost twice the weight of the other and was half the price.

Yes I agree, I carry a gold rated lock, Kryptonite mini, and have another Abus granit at work for the commute, but both only for insurance purposes. I'm under no illusion that it will make a material difference to a theft. If it wasn't for the insurance I'd choose a lighter and perhaps larger d lock than the kryptonite.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't have the link but it was a quick Google search. I'm too lazy to go beyond page 2 and most often page 1 so it should be easy to find. IIRC it's London cyclist or one of the magazine/commercial forum reviews where they use a retired, unnamed bike thief to test the locks. If it helps the site boasted that they've never failed to break a lock. Something about having the expertise of professional bike thieves.

IIRC this lock failed in less time than sold secure silver rating, then they upgraded the lock and it lasted about silver rated time but not gold. Basically got the impression that they considered it less secure than other gold rated locks.

There's a scene around the world for picking/breaking locks, even a world championships you know. I believe there's even a hack shop in London running classes in how to make the pick and IIRC it's called the anvil that.they work the pick against the lock mech with and how to use those tools. I reckon there's the expertise to pick any sold secure rated lock. The thing is always time.

Sold secure IMHO is not to be relied on. Look to the foreign standards and rely on them, not sold secure which is really an insurance scheme. I think the German or Dutch standards carry out more severe tests than sold secure.
hamster

Post by hamster »

There was a lot in the CTC mag a few years back. It was surprising how many Sold Secure Gold gave in to a big set of bolt croppers. Stubby bottle jacks defeated almost everything.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:I don't have the link but it was a quick Google search. I'm too lazy to go beyond page 2 and most often page 1 so it should be easy to find. IIRC it's London cyclist or one of the magazine/commercial forum reviews where they use a retired, unnamed bike thief to test the locks. If it helps the site boasted that they've never failed to break a lock. Something about having the expertise of professional bike thieves.

Maybe http://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/ - they don't rate the Eiger because it's only 13mm.

Sold secure IMHO is not to be relied on. Look to the foreign standards and rely on them, not sold secure which is really an insurance scheme. I think the German or Dutch standards carry out more severe tests than sold secure.

I've seen German manufacturers (Trelock for sure) using SoldSecure recently. Is it because it's easier to get? I don't trust SoldSecure which seems outdated to me now. I look for reviews and if it really matters, buy two locks and video yourself attacking one with bolt croppers and electric cutters and so on. If it fails too easily, return the other as not fit for purpose, linking to the video if challenged, or more simply within the Distance Selling Regs time limit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.