Lonley Planet or Bradt?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Lonley Planet or Bradt?

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I am thinking of buying a guide to Sri Lanka
Anyone any comments on the best one?
Lonely Planet or Bradt.
Or others?
Thanks folks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
simonhill

Re: Lonley Planet or Bradt?

Post by simonhill »

Hi Matt. I usually get copies from the local library, then I can have a good look. In Essex we can order for free.

I have a newish Rough Guide that I bought in a charity shop. I also got the latet LP from the library. I decided on the LP and bought it from Amazon.

I have always used LPs and generally prefer their layout, so a bit biased. Nowadays the hotel listings are a bit suspect as they often don't list any real budget options. Can be useful for showing hotel area of a town.

They are still pretty good on history, culture, and sights. Plus transport info if you need it.

I like to have a guidebook mainly for sights and country info.

I haven't looked at a Bradt for years so can't comment.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm a fan of Bradt. They didn't do one for a recent purchase of the NL so I had to choose between RG and LP. I borrowed both from my library to make my decision. LP won but it was so marginal. It came down to one map that was useful in there and the humorous narrative...b
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Lonely Planet are not what they used to be under the original owners, they have definitely gone upmarket to some degree and the layout is not as useful, but for many places they are still the best traditional guidebooks.
I don't know about the Sri Lanka edition though.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Your local library may do free eBook rentals. Mine does and it includes a wide range of Lonely Planet guide books. Well worth a try, then if it's any good you can buy it.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I think we have the rough guide but I'm another fan of Bradt. Lonely planet seems to lack the small town detail that bike tourers need.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

If you can't get it from your library you could buy the previous edition secondhand on Amazon and then if you like it spring for the current edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sri-Lanka-Bradt ... 841620211/

It's worth reading the reviews on Amazon: it looks like the Bradt guide maybe the one to go for if you're interested in the history and culture, but it's not going to be much help if you want recommendations for good-value places to stay (but I'm not sure guide books are much use for that any more). As one reviewer puts it:

this is the guide for those who hire a car and stay in 5* hotels
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks folks.
Yes I have tried out the local libraries but unable to locate a Lone Planet one.

Re the Bradt...
The chap who has written it for that past few years is now standing down.
He is 70+ and despite living on the island, thinks someone younger should take over.
He has posted this himself on this blog.
Nice guy. He's writen quite a few other books.

Yes, good points about what a book can / should do for a cyclist.

I'll be doing a northern half loop of the island.
30 days Max. Hopefully sheltering from the worse of the monsoon rains.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have borrowed a few bradt guides for places i may go from the library and was impressed - they seemed to concentrate on giving a real feel for a place and the political/cultural background. I don't think much these days of books that recommend particularly good places to eat or stay or whatever. Even pre internet that sort of info dated rapidly and was often the kiss of death to anywhere interesting/good value. With the internet/smartphones it is surely almost laser directed instant death. I'd go for bradt and then trust to serendipity, a night free camping or in a flop house or whatever. And don't blog about it - just cherish the memories.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks Sweep.
Good comments.

Re the blogging; I have half heartedly completed a couple on the crazy guy site.
Last year I was on a 2 month tour with 3 others who write up their blogs every night.
It drove me mad since they were always complaining about WiFi speeds and/ or misdng out on local life etc.

However I must say I am always eager to read other blogs for helpful info.
Somehow I think I owe it to others to do one.
Is that wrong?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No it's not wrong matt.

I make an exception for crazy guy - i don't look at it that much but have the impression that those narratives are usually posted after the trip. And as you say can be useful for other folk.

I share your, er, bemusement, at live bloggers fretting over a keyboard, actual or onscreen, of an evening. Hell, just have a cup of tea/indulge in the local brew, smile/laugh at the stars at the wonder of it all.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

So true Sweep.
It was all summed up for me at a hostel in Tajikistan.
Some young folk walked into the communal space and immediately asked for the WiFi code.
No, hello, how are you etc.

I'm not anti young folk BTW.
I was one once many years ago.

Each to their own of course.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I can remember in pre internet days, two different partners wrote, as in pen and paper, journals each evening. I had to maintain monastic silence while it was done. At least with WiFi I can now read the news while they tap away.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Sweep wrote:I share your, er, bemusement, at live bloggers fretting over a keyboard, actual or onscreen, of an evening. Hell, just have a cup of tea/indulge in the local brew, smile/laugh at the stars at the wonder of it all.

Cruising off topic, but I'm one of those people. I enjoy sharing my travels - not only because I hope others will find it useful but years later it's fun to read too. I don't see how it's possible to write an accurate log after the event so always try to get a post online on the same day.

The down side is you can spend too long writing, captioning photos and publishing and miss out on the aforementioned beer/smiling/stars. Unfortunately, IMO the CrazyGuy authoring process is partially responsible as it's very time consuming to get everything online.

As with everything, a balance is needed I think!
shell86

Post by shell86 »

Lonely planet every time!