Navigation - Garmin

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
freeflow

Re: Navigation - Garmin

Post by freeflow »

As I said above. I have my custom audax screen in locus maps which displays 12 fields. All readable. Plus a nice large section of map.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

freeflow wrote:I'll think you'll find that a phone like a Sony Xperia Z3 compact gives a garmin a run for its money in terms of battery life.

The Garmin can be charged in just the same way as a phone.
On its own the 810 is guided at 15 hours typical usage (what ever that is :roll: ) and "plus" 20 hours with official external battery pack.
I have not had long enough rides yet to check out its battery life.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

PhilWhitehurst wrote:With the etrex series you'll get 50 hours continuous use off a couple of AA lithiums. ......

USB socket is on broom under rubber flap and can safely be used in heavy rain if running off the Dynamo.

Obviously NOT directly from the hub (which is AC) but via a voltage converter of some sort - I'm sure you know this but I include this comment for other readers who may not appreciate the point. :)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
MIKETHOMAS

Post by MIKETHOMAS »

I've been using a Garmin 800 now for 2 years and its just about the best bit of tech-kit I have bought. I only really use it for navigation, and have set it up so its just the map which is displayed on the map page. I like the auto-zoom, and the ability to turn the topography off in the mountains (so you can see the route from the rocks!). The only real frustration I have had is with .gpx routes. When I send these to the unit's 'new files', they sometimes failed to go to 'courses' when the 800 was disconnected from my PC. I use BikeHike which I like, and now save the routes in .tcx format. The problem has now gone away.