Navigation - Garmin

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
freeflow

Re: Navigation - Garmin

Post by freeflow »

My phone costs 600 quid

So was the xperia when I bought it. At that time the 800 for something like £400. When I replaced the phone with like for like it was essentially an obsolete model and set me back £200.

But as I have already pointed out you can get a toughened, waterproof phone with a bigger and more detailed display than a garmin for around £150. This makes garmin's (800-1000) look quite sick in terms of value for money.

I set my phone up and start riding. There's no need to touch it until I'm finished. My current Audax data screen has 12 info fields which are fully readable by aged varifocal needing eyes and occupy less than 1/4 of the screen. I have no need to fiddle with the phone whilst on the move. So it doesn't matter if I'm wearing gloves or not. On the rare occasion I need to do something whilt riding I just lick the end of my gloved finger and that's sufficient.

My phone is water proof. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. Waterproofness and ANT+ were what attracted me the the Xperia range of phones. I believe Samsung now do ANT+ in some models but don't have as good a range in term of waterproof phones.

The apps I use for navigating allow me to upload to a range of fitness sites. Even if they didn't its still quite simple to export the ride in a wide range of formats.

I admit that I took a risk when I strapped a £600 phone to the handlebars of my bike but in retrospect it has worked exceptionally well. And scince Oct 2013 when the Xperia Z Ultra was first sold.

Try your phone with Locus maps (assuming its an android phone). Its a bit of an eye opener.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Phones have definitely got better since I bought my Garmin. Having ones that are waterproof and with ant+ is a big advance, but for me battery life is still the issue. I get 10 to 12 hours with my edge with screen on. Phone cannot match that. I know you can get external batteries, but then you have to make sure the USB port is waterproof in use on the phone, and you have the extra faff. When my Garmon dies in a few more years I think the decision is going to be harder again as as I understand my ordanace survey maps are only usable on the current unit...
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Locus maps supports OS maps now.

Regarding charging - its all about strategy. I have a tri-bag which contains my battery pack. The phone is usually fully charged before I start a ride. I always ride with the phone charging. Then if it rains I can disconnect and seal the phone knowing I have 4-5 hours of riding. In that time I'll have stopped at least once so will get at least another 20 minutes+ of charge into the phone. But honestly, I've found that a small piece of bluetack wrapped around the socket after I've plugged the lead in provides a perfectly acceptable waterproof join. Tested it several times with no problems.

I'll think you'll find that a phone like a Sony Xperia Z3 compact gives a garmin a run for its money in terms of battery life.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I was fully considering the Z5 as my next phone anyway. I like the combination of small form factor and high end parts which no other manufacturers do (all other "mini" versions use lower end components to reduce the cost). I have OSMand on Android but havent really used it for routing yet.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Does your smart phone work in the rain?
Can you operate it when you wear thick gloves?
Will it last for 15hrs or more even with the screen on?
Will it take a Li battery?
Will it take AA batteries bought from the corner shop?
Will it take AA NiMh rechargeables?
Is it GPS accurate to 7ft?
Can it display full OS mapping?
Does it have a magnetic compass?

If it does all of these things, it's a good thing to have. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I don't see how any of the above phone 'v' GPS helps the OP learn more about his new Garmin. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Ride with GPS has good set of pages on Garmin settings.
If you are using a Garmin for route map navigation, you want to read them.
The default Garmin settings make following a set route more difficult than
it needs to be. Still have not found the "Cake Stop Button", for food stops
leave the Garmin on.

http://ridewithgps.com/help/?cat=9
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
MuckyFunster

Post by MuckyFunster »

Thanks for all your replies! I've read them all, and like others have mentioned, one of the main driving forces behind my decision to get a dedicated navigation tool is the battery life on my phone. The mapping apps available for mobiles are brilliant, and I suppose I could have got a recharger pack or something similar so I could top up my phone charge while on the move, but the lure of a new gizmo, I think, won me over. The only decision left was which gizmo to buy.

After having still been in two minds over the Garmin Edge 810 even after reading countless reviews and pondering pondering pondering, I received it through the post yesterday and spent the next wee while being in a "new-gadget-mania". I've unpacked it all and I think I'll likely be keeping it. It seems quite impressive! And it's great to have a new toy!

I got a chance to muck about with it late last night for a few kilometres indoors on the turbo to make sure everything was working as it apparently should and to try and familiarise myself with the layouts. I was supposed to be taking it outdoors for a trial run today, but ended up not doing so as I was let down by my unreliable friends!

Maybe tomorrow, and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

I registered for Gamin Connect on the mobile app, but haven't really been able to figure it out...[emoji848] it'll come good with time, I'm sure.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

With the etrex series you'll get 50 hours continuous use off a couple of AA lithiums. The etrex 20 is £101 quid and you can use osm maps for free. USB socket is on broom under rubber flap and can safely be used in heavy rain if running off the Dynamo.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

MuckyFunster wrote:I registered for Gamin Connect on the mobile app, but haven't really been able to figure it out... it'll come good with time, I'm sure.

I registered on the PC and it was fairly easy to negotiate through the maze. Mapping a route was quite straight forward and editing after wasn't too bad. Usually any problems are down to me so it has to be a simple process. :)

There is a program called Tyre-to-travel (uses Google Maps) which I use with TomTom for motorbike and car. This now seems to allow cycle route planning and should allow downloading to the Garmin.
http://www.tyretotravel.com
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

With the etrex series you'll get 50 hours continuous use off a couple of AA lithiums.

For me that would be 50 hours of not being able to read the screen.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

freeflow wrote:For me that would be 50 hours of not being able to read the screen.
Thats just it, I have had my Edge 800 for a few years now but as i'm getting an old git and now need glasses for reading I find the screen a little on the small side :oops: so sometimes find myself squinting and getting closer to it to make out a junction ahead.

GPS navigation will always be a horses for courses type thing so if you find something that works for you stick with it. 8)
Rich
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, my tired old eyes had problems with my 705 ........... similar size to the 800 series.
Now, I have a Montana, and even MY tired old eyes can see it.

Huge screen, and as bright as you want. 100% brilliance and it'll go for five or six hours. It's so bright at 100%, it hurts. :D
Come down to 70%, and it'll go for 12hrs, a little dimmer and it'll go for 18hrs easily.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

One of the things with the 810 is the "pages" can be configured to show what you want. So, obviously, it shows speed and distance + perhaps heart rate and cadence on one page. Then another page can have time of day, run time, average speed, elevation and total ascent. You can configure the number of "boxes" on each page and what is in each box. I'm still working these out :roll:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cycleruk wrote:One of the things with the 810 is the "pages" can be configured to show what you want. So, obviously, it shows speed and distance + perhaps heart rate and cadence on one page. Then another page can have time of day, run time, average speed, elevation and total ascent. You can configure the number of "boxes" on each page and what is in each box. I'm still working these out :roll:

You can if you can see them [emoji1]
With the Edge 500 I have set at two fields and rotate between the pages.
I plumped for the Oregon recently, looking for mapping capability, I've set its pages to 2 huge fields but interestingly I have the other portion of screen to 4 small fields which I, surprisingly, can read.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info