Navigation - Garmin

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MuckyFunster

Navigation - Garmin

Post by MuckyFunster »

Hi all!

After much much much consideration on the different models and brands of cycle computers for navigation and fitness recording I have just ordered the Garmin Edge 810 performance bundle.

Do any of you out there have any any experience with this model or others and could offer me some pros, cons or recommendations?

I'm keen to receive it, an hoping it will fulfil all my hopes and dreams for some decent cycling days out over this upcoming year!
Redvee

Re: Navigation - Garmin

Post by Redvee »

DC Rainmaker is the site to look at for tips n tricks on things Garmin. I'd recommend an outftont style mount over the stem/bar mount as it puts the computer more in your eyeline, they can be picked up for as little as £10.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Send it back and invest in a Sony Xperia smartphone.
MuckyFunster

Post by MuckyFunster »

Yeah, I've read several reviews on DCRainmaker and other cycle websites too. The Cycling weekly website had a decent roundup of all the Garmin range on a single page with an easy to decipher "Choose this one if..." header. I was torn between the 810 and the 520, but ended up opting for the 810 cause the bundle sounded like a bit of a better deal. It even comes with an out front mount too!

What does the Sony Xperia offer? I have an old iPhone 4s at the minute and regularly use Strava and Google/Apple maps. But I'm getting fed up with my battery draining away and running out while I was out and about. I figured a stand alone navigation tool might be a bit better.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm one of those folk who believes in one tool for one purpose ........... if I can afford it.

A smart phone.
Is it a computer or a telephone, a diary, a calculator, a camera, or a GPS device? All the things they do may be ok, but none of the things they do they do as well as a dedicated device would do them.

Garmin 810.
Good choice. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I also recently got the Edge 810 and it took me a couple of weeks to get to grips with it. Mainly downloading and installing the maps.
Still got a bit to learn as there is much that I don't really know about yet. I've got used to the basics I think. :roll:
I have downloaded free maps from "Open Street Maps" (Whole of UK and also Majorca.)
Be aware that some downloads may go into the "NewFiles" folder and not straight into the maps folder. Also the maps come with a long drawn-out number which meant nothing to me. It is possible to rename the maps properly but I found it difficult :oops:
Be very careful if you have to change a battery in the cadence sensor as it is easy to damage a contact in the unit if the "lid" is not lined up properly first before turning.
I have had to change my cadence sensor battery today but I've know idea how long the original has been in there.
Regarding making routes I have found the system on the Garmin Connect the easiest to use. I have tried a couple or so other route mapping programs but they didn't suit me.
I presume you have downloaded the 810 user PDF manual?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Is it a computer or a telephone, a diary, a calculator, a camera, or a GPS device? All the things they do may be ok, but none of the things they do they do as well as a dedicated device would do them.

Its all of them and more and it does them exceedingly well. I was a long time user of GPS starting with a Garmin 305 (died due to battery contact issue), Garmin 705 ('Lost' at end of sportive whilst packing car), Bryton 50 (eventually gave up due to having to load routes through their website.

My smart phone (Sony Xperia Z ultra) is easier to use than any of the previous gps. Has more functionality. Has better flexibility because you can run small specific programs in parallel (on android at least) rather than one badly written lump of proprietary software.

MY Xperia is an ANT+ enabled phone so I can get my stats. I used to use Ipbike for this but have recently switched to Locus Maps which is an amazing piece of software (Navigation,ANT+, stats, user downloaded maps (including OS), POI overlays, geocaching) plus other stuff). Using the smartphone opens new horizons. I use it for recording info controls for Audax, reporting my realtime position for Mrs F, something to read from my extensive kindle library when waiting at stations etc, time logging (I work as a contractor), music/iplayer (via downloaded programs if I know I'm going to be offline). I'm now on my second Xperia Ultra because my first finally died due to bouncing down some concrete steps I couldn't find anything as usable to replace it.

I could ramble on.

For longer rides (about 5 hours+) I do need an external battery. I have a small 10,000 mah pack (which also runs my front lights if I need it) which means that on a 200km Audax my phone is still fully charged (but the battery pack is pretty drained). The battery pack has user replaceable batteries so for a small weight penalty I could do a 600km Audax with impunity (my bum would give out first!!!)

As it is a big phone I know it burns battery due to the screen size. Reputedly the Xperia Z3 compact has a phenomenal battery life (200 km+ on its internal battery) when used for GPS navigation.

So I make the recommendation again. When your Garmin comes send it back. Its really just a badly built smartphone where the phone bit has been disabled/not implemented.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I guess it depends on what you want. If you're only going to be a casual user then getting a dedicated device can look expensive (especially one of the top of the range Garmins). But if you are using a gps regularly then investing in a dedicated device can pay off:

- better waterproofing and shock-proofing
- better sensitivity
- better battery life due to the fact that you don't have other apps running in the background
- ability to handle POIs
- easier to load offline mapping.

But yes, you can't answer emails, book a hotel, check your bank balance, or read an eBook.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

I went through a similar decision process recently a day was swaying towards the phone idea (funnily enough a Sony as well due to good battery life or iPhone as they have a better selection of bike specific cases)

After a bit of humming an aweing

I went with the dedicated unit, it does what it's designed to do very well and without the other compromises or size

So got a Edge 1000 in a cracking deal off Amazon, only used it a few times but does what it's meant to do very well, and with the info Garmin Connect can provide will be a excellent training aid.

Just getting used to it, so don't gave much to add except during navigation if you gave turn by turn switched on when you start your route the unit takes a when to work the route out, even though you've loaded it via Connect, found if you switch Turn by turn off and just follow the track the unit starts you journey a lot quicker.

That might get sorted by a firmware update I don't know but Garmin are pretty good at supporting there products
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

My smartphone doesn't get cosseted by being wrapped in a case. Last year it did over 6000km in a minimalist clip in holder on my bike. I do appreciate that Garmins need to be tougher on account of the fact they keep falling off the bike. SOmething my Smarphone has never done.

- better sensitivity
How. I have gps with agps and glonass. I sometimes struggle to get a signal indoor but that's OK because I ride my bike outside.

- better battery life due to the fact that you don't have other apps running in the background
So explain all the people I see charging garmins every control I reach when I go Audaxing.

- ability to handle POIs
Locus maps can handle multiple POI overlays as well as POI specifically embadded in the GPX I'm following.

- easier to load offline mapping.
I log onto andromaps, select the map I want, there is a button for automtic installation in Locus maps?
In IBbike download, unzip, copy to phone select mapping source. How is that difficult?

My phone is slightly less robust that a garmin because it has to compete in the 'looking sexy' smartphone market. If I didn't want such a big screen and I was happy with using BTLE sensors then I'd go for something like the Samsung Galaxy XCover

http://www.expansys.com/samsung-galaxy- ... ck-283940/
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I actually agree with your main point: if you just want something for training, or a bit of audaxing, or maybe even an occasional tour, then the cost of the top-of-the-line Garmin models does seem hard to justify when compared with a smartphone that does most of what you want well enough, and is more versatile.

freeflow wrote:- better waterproofing and shock-proofing
My smartphone doesn't get cosseted by being wrapped in a case. Last year it did over 6000km in a minimalist clip in holder on my bike. I do appreciate that Garmins need to be tougher on account of the fact they keep falling off the bike. SOmething my Smarphone has never done.

I can't remember the last time my gps came off. I think it was about 10 years ago on a very rough mountain bike trail (admittedly I now Ram Mount holders rather than Garmin). Your phone is presumably rainproof.

- better sensitivityHow. I have gps with agps and glonass. I sometimes struggle to get a signal indoor but that's OK because I ride my bike outside.

Bigger aerials (although I don't know how the Garmin Edge series compare with smartphones). There are times when satellite reception can be iffy - it doesn't happen that often though, so probably not an issue for most people.

So explain all the people I see charging garmins every control I reach when I go Audaxing.

There are more Garmin users? Confirmation bias? (you notice the Garmin users because they confirm what you already believe). I don't know what the battery consumption on the Edge series is like, but in over 10 years of using a Garmin GPS I've always got two days out of a set of rechargeable AA batteries.

Locus maps can handle multiple POI overlays as well as POI specifically embadded in the GPX I'm following.

I carry about 20 thousands custom POIs (campsites, hostels, water etc etc). I suspect that Garmin has the edge here (excuse the pun), but again I suspect that this isn't something that will bother casual users.

I log onto andromaps, select the map I want, there is a button for automtic installation in Locus maps?
In IBbike download, unzip, copy to phone select mapping source. How is that difficult?

Yep the Andromaps guy seems to have done a brilliant job of making what used to be a painful process a lot easier.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

freeflow wrote:

I can't remember the last time my gps came off. I think it was about 10 years ago on a very rough mountain bike trail (admittedly I now Ram Mount holders rather than Garmin). Your phone is presumably rainproof.

Yes. Peoples experience may vary. My experience is that my 305, 705 and Bryton 50 all took unplanned excursions during their life so I may be a little biased in that respect. When I started using a minimal clip in holder for my xperia I was paranoid about it coming off. But it hasn't. And this has included riding Km of pretty rough stuff.

There are more Garmin users? Confirmation bias? (you notice the Garmin users because they confirm what you already believe). I don't know what the battery consumption on the Edge series is like, but in over 10 years of using a Garmin GPS I've always got two days out of a set of rechargeable AA batteries.

I don't go looking. I notice because its happening. But as you say if you are using en etrex you will probably have much better battery life. The OP isn't. His battery life won't be much better than a recent mobile phone. I never got much more that 8-9 hours out of my previous devices so I was impressed that my xperia lasted as long as 5 hours on its internal battery. Of course this is using offline maps. using online maps for gps absolutely murders your battery.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Is the 5 hours of battery life with the screen on for all of that time? How easy to read is in bright sunlight?
honesty

Post by honesty »

My phone costs 600 quid to replace, my Garmin 800 cost 250 quid and comes with full OS maps for the UK. I know which one I would rather stick on the front of my bike. It's also easier to use with gloves, which at the moment is a big plus. That and the 12 hour battery life means, for me, it beats using a phone.

I also have Garmin Fit on my phone (now sadly deleted from the app store by Garmin, Im guessing to try to get you to buy more of their hardware). It works very well, but my phone is not water proof. My phone only lasts 3 hours running this app with GPS. It needs a data connection to get maps (I know with other apps i could probably offline these though!). It's a good backup to have in my pocket, but not something I would want to rely on as the sole means of navigation when out touring.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Is the 5 hours of battery life with the screen on for all of that time? How easy to read is in bright sunlight?

Yes. I could get longer if I switched the screen off and used proximity detection. In bright sunlight the screen is hard to read. But on those 10 days in the year I can cope pause under a shady tree or something similar). The rest of the time its perfectly adequate. The 5 hours was with the phone new on a middling day. The more power you put into the screen for visibility the lower your battery life.