Pump Recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Pump Recommendations

Post by mnichols »

My much loved, and much used pump has finally given up

I've been supergluing and sticking it back together all summer and it's time to say good bye

It was an amazon special and sadly no longer available

Any recommendations?

I like to carry it on the bike so it doesn't have to fit in my jersey pocket. I like them with a hose

I'm thinking of the Lezyne Road Drive L
foxyrider

Re: Pump Recommendations

Post by foxyrider »

Got the Lezyne - excellent!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've had a Topeak Road Morph for years and it's bullet proof. You can get 120 psi no problem. I believe the Mountain Morph is the same thing with a bigger piston so if you have large volume, lower pressure tyres it may be a better bet, the Road Morph takes a lot of strokes to pump up my wife's 1 1/2" tyres.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks both, I have something similar to the road morph for touring which I carry in my panniers, so the lezyne seems a good compliment for day rides
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pete Jack wrote:I believe the Mountain Morph is the same thing with a bigger piston so if you have large volume, lower pressure tyres it may be a better bet, the Road Morph takes a lot of strokes to pump up my wife's 1 1/2" tyres.

I've got the Turbo Morph which also has an MTB piston, I chose it because I preferred the round gauge to the in-line one, and because CJ gave it a favourable review. I hoped that having the pump braced against the floor and 35mm tyres would compensate for the extra force required. It doesn't, and I don't like it. I looked at the Lezyne, but I was put off by the non-standard hose that costs megabucks to replace.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I have this http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv ... rh5dH8biK0
Superb bit of kit, they do a high pressure or a high volume version, I have the HV version and it's a genuinely useful pump and makes short work of 2" tyres,I previously had a topeake micro somethings or other and replaced it after my first puncture.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

I too would recommend Lezyne.
Well made & very effective for compact size.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I have the Lezyne one too, the HP version. It does an excellent job. Easy peasy to get to 100 psi on my 28c tyres. My main grumps with it are that its a tad too long to fit easily into my Carradice Racktop bag, and the hose can easily unscrew removable valves if you haven't ensured that the valve is tightened up first.
robing

Post by robing »

Lezyne for me as well, much better than the Topeak one. Get can really good pressures.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 for being in the Lezyne club. My gauge malfunctioned and I was sent a no quibble replacement. No probs since...b
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Looks like the Lezyne wins. I've seen complaints that the Topeak foot bracket is flimsy, it's not actually but I have had the bolt that holds it on fall out and the bracket detach. I ended up putting Locktite Red on it and it hasn't come loose since. I've also had the Topeak quit pumping altogether; the piston ring came adrift - easy to fix but it shouldn't happen. And it doesn't come with a bracket that fits under a bottle cage so you lose a cage (I believe the Lezyne has that issue)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Pete Jack wrote:Looks like the Lezyne wins. I've seen complaints that the Topeak foot bracket is flimsy, it's not actually but I have had the bolt that holds it on fall out and the bracket detach. I ended up putting Locktite Red on it and it hasn't come loose since. I've also had the Topeak quit pumping altogether; the piston ring came adrift - easy to fix but it shouldn't happen. And it doesn't come with a bracket that fits under a bottle cage so you lose a cage (I believe the Lezyne has that issue)

Fine in good weather, but keep your expensive kit in your panniers. The weather is a killer of seals etc. It's so small it goes in my tool bag. I'm not a fan of clutter. That's what my beard is for...b
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pete Jack wrote:And it doesn't come with a bracket that fits under a bottle cage so you lose a cage

I've made a bracket to put the bottle and the pump on the same pair of braze-ons.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

axel_knutt wrote:
Pete Jack wrote:And it doesn't come with a bracket that fits under a bottle cage so you lose a cage

I've made a bracket to put the bottle and the pump on the same pair of braze-ons.
It would be nice if they offered at least an optional bracket that fits under a cage, I found one in a used bike place.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

anyone found a way of keeping the pump protected on the bike? Cling Film maybe?