Bikes & trains in France - any experience?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Isotonicake

Bikes & trains in France - any experience?

Post by Isotonicake »

Looking to do a cycle tour in France on the Eurovelo 6 route in the summer. We're booking the eurostar home from Paris OK, but unsure whether to book a train from end point to Paris.

Has anyone any experience of just rocking up on the day and getting on French trains, with loaded bikes without booking? As this is our first long tour, we are unsure how far we will get and don't want to turn it into a chore by having to get to X trainstation in Y days...
simonineaston

Re: Bikes & trains in France - any experience?

Post by simonineaston »

Hi, there have been quite a few useful posts on the topic recent - key words 'France' TGV' 'book' are fruitful. See for example: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=90047
The rule of thumb for French railways is: local train, no need to book; TGVs, better book first.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

You should be fine, but bear in mind that travelling back into Paris on a weekday is going to be less busy than say coming back on a summer Sunday afternoon.

A quick look at the timetables suggests that you should be able to get back into Paris using the TER (regional) trains which are easier than the TGVs.

It's worth considering booking by capitaine-train.com so you could book a day or two before the end of the tour when you have a clearer idea of the finish point. If you need to you can book bike places on line. capitaine-train.com are also a much better and cheaper option than booking via the SNCF whose website aimed at the UK market is not only more expensive than its normal website but also doesn't give information about which trains take bikes.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

A couple of years ago I was touring in France when my bottom bracket expired just outside Angouleme. It was pouring with rain and, having waited two hours for them to finish lunch and reopen, the very helpful bike shop informed me that they didn't have a replacement and a phone call to the other shop in town confirmed they didn't either. It would seem the external bearing cups haven't made it that far south, or hadn't at that time.

As a result I had to get a train to Poitiers in the hope of finding a bigger bike shop there (which I did) so I went down to the local station and managed to get onto a train, complete with bike and soggy panniers, with no trouble at all. The staff at the station were incredibly helpful to me as I can't speak a word of French and the whole experience confirmed my high opinion of France in general and the French people in particular. It also convinced me to revert to a square taper bottom bracket......
ossie

Post by ossie »

The biggish stations will have an info desk and someone who will work out a train route for you with your bike.

TGV is your only issue, they need to be pre booked and in my experience only had 1 or 2 bike spaces at the rear rather than a whole carriage.

I rocked up at Angers, was given a route, jumped on a regional train to Nantes with a few commuters (dedicated cycle carriage), changed at Nantes and did the same to Rennes. At Rennes a TGV came in an hour before my train so I 'winged it' without booking...the conductor was tipped off and was straight down to me but as it was quiet..let me off.

Very easy going and very cycle friendly even fully loaded, as stated would book the TGV if thats on your timetable.