Air France no to CTC bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
timmsy

Air France no to CTC bag

Post by timmsy »

Just a quick warning to anyone flying with Air France that they would not accept my bike in a CTC bike bag recently when flying to Cuba. Worse still i had taken a cardboard box as well just in case but they did not make a decision until it was too late to re pack. I had been waiting with the bike for over hours since initial check in. I shall write to Air France to get a final rule from them and then post the result hear. Meanwhile someone we met flew with Air Berlin and he was able to ride to the airport and just give them the bike with the usual handlebars and pedal alterations.
Good luck all - Richard
PH

Re: Air France no to CTC bag

Post by PH »

So what happened? Did they put you on another flight?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Bummer. Seems you need to get approval at least 48 hours in advance but there's nothing about a CTC type bag not being sufficienct packaging.

http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/common ... france.htm
PH

Post by PH »

I see from the above link that the prohibited item list also includes;
...electric unicycles (even with batteries removed)
That's my plans scuppered.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

More details please.

Not had a refusal yet,but always worried++ Travelled with bike unpacked,and packed in just bubble-wrap.

I always get names and confirmation that airline will take bicycle as I am prepared to take it. Howsoever,I also know that on-the-day,rules can and will be changed as and when they want.

Just a crack-pot question: I wonder how much extra it is to take an animal by plane: dog,Shetland Pony,Giraffe? I'm thinking,I'm paying extra to have my bike go by plane? Surely less aggro than a pony. Yes,I know there's a difference! Cost differential?