My last City Nightline trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
monxton

My last City Nightline trip

Post by monxton »

Just booked the City Nightline train from Amsterdam to Zurich for a tour in June. This will be the last time I use it, because Deutsche Bahn are withdrawing the remaining services in December 2016. This was such a good way to get round Europe with a bicycle without having to take it apart and bag it. :(
syklist

Re: My last City Nightline trip

Post by syklist »

monxton wrote:Just booked the City Nightline train from Amsterdam to Zurich for a tour in June. This will be the last time I use it, because Deutsche Bahn are withdrawing the remaining services in December 2016. This was such a good way to get round Europe with a bicycle without having to take it apart and bag it. :(

I checked the availability of the Copenhagen - Amsterdam night train last year only to find it had gone. We used a few times before we moved to Norway to get to or from our Scandinavian cycle tours. We used the Amsterdam - Munich one as well on a trip to Croatia. I guess they cannot compete with air travel. What a shame.

The easiest options I have found to get to Scandinavia without flying are to use night boats. If you can afford the Kiel - Oslo boat then you can get to Kiel from Amsterdam with only one change in Osnabrück. The same for the return journey.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
monxton

Post by monxton »

I think the difficulties are more political - so many national rail networks are privatised now, and scheduling a journey through several countries necessitates a level of co-operation that they are not willing to offer. Also borders are becoming less open.

The UK sleepers survive because of government support, perhaps not unrelated to the number of Scottish MPs whose work pattern depends on the sleeper. I've read that Sweden also has good services still.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Have you got a link? (I'd like to know whether the CNL Amsterdam-München service will be affected).

EDIT: sadly, I found one:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/ma ... hannel=524

You might want to check out the TGV Lyria services from Paris.