Eurovelo 6 Accommodation

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bristolboyz

Eurovelo 6 Accommodation

Post by bristolboyz »

We're group of 4 are planning to cycle two weeks along this route in late June early July. Starting at St Nazaire and doing roughly 45 miles a day average and hope to pick up places to stay (non camping) en-route rather than book a long way ahead.

Most web-sites offer places way off route, which is no problem in a car!

Is there an route specific accommodation guide suitable for cyclists available anywhere?
bikepacker

Re: Eurovelo 6 Accommodation

Post by bikepacker »

I met a couple in Besancon who were doing it and they just booked their accommodation on Booking.com. They did it by planning one day ahead searching each night for the next night's accommodation.

On the subject of accommodation, avoid Formule One hotels. Ibis Budget we have found to be the best in the cheaper range of hotels.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
bristolboyz

Post by bristolboyz »

Thanks bikepacker.
Have used Booking.com for a couple of nights at the beginning to get us started. Only concern is they keep saying only 1 or 2 rooms left even this far out. Could just be a way to drum up business of course. Can't believe we won't be able to book just a day or two ahead though the footie tourney may get in the way. Had hoped to stay in smaller places but that may prove tricky - we'll see.

On any recognised walking trail you'd expect an accommodation guide - odd that cycle routes don't have them, unless anyone knows different???!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Is camping definitely a no? It might be worth considering as you will have a lot more flexibility on where you stay and you can just turn up at a campsite without having to book in advance.

Otherwise maybe you could get a better idea of hotel availability in July by sending some emails to hotels asking if they are usually full at that time of year?
jk49

Post by jk49 »

we used the interactive map found here http://www.cycling-loire.com/ We used it to find campsites, but I'm fairly sure it has hotels and b and b's as well. You have to tick the accomodation box on the map, then zoom in. Hope that's useful, it's a brilliant route.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

bristolboyz wrote:Thanks bikepacker.
Have used Booking.com for a couple of nights at the beginning to get us started. Only concern is they keep saying only 1 or 2 rooms left even this far out. Could just be a way to drum up business of course. Can't believe we won't be able to book just a day or two ahead though the footie tourney may get in the way. Had hoped to stay in smaller places but that may prove tricky - we'll see.

On any recognised walking trail you'd expect an accommodation guide - odd that cycle routes don't have them, unless anyone knows different???!

My experience is that there is always accommodation to be found online the day before it is required. Sometimes it is even cheaper as they try to sell last minute rooms.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".