F1 hotels

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

F1 hotels

Post by robing »

Do all F1 hotels accept bikes? In particular the F1 in Bayonne. Ideally I would like a ground floor one but when you book it doesn't seem to give you any options.
millimole

Re: F1 hotels

Post by millimole »

All the F1 hotels I've stayed at have had minimal (or no obvious) staffing - check in has been automated at several. You will not get a choice of room location.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I just took my bike into the room in the F1 I used. IIRC it was an auto-check-in with no evening staff. I haven't used the Bayonne one.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've stayed in about half a dozen F1 hotels and all accepted bikes. There is a lift if you don't want to carry your bike.

I've also stayed in the Premier Class in Nice which is similar and they also didn't have a problem. But when I used Premier Class at Geneva Airport the person on reception said they would need to think about it. We checked in went for a meal and when we got back in was self-service check in so we took the bikes to our room. In the morning the (different) person on reception didn't say a thing as we wheeled the bikes out. So I suppose it depend if you find a travail-worth.
robing

Post by robing »

whoof wrote: travail-worth.

Lol. Thanks for the info, sounds like I shouldn't have a problem. You can reserve one by credit card and can cancel right up until the day of booking I think. I've got pretty good at sneaking bikes into hotel rooms ;)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Most will allow bikes in rooms but we've found a few that don't. Some of these will endeavour to find a space in a store room - in one place we had to put bikes in with the bins.
No guarantee but usually you are ok.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

F1 hotels do allow bikes in the room. Remember however these hotels because of their cheapness are generally of very poor standard. We have only ever stayed in two and both have been a nightmare experience. If you are looking for low cost hotels, Ibis Budget are good value and usually exceptionally clean. Premier Classe slightly more expensive than F1 are much better and rooms are ensuite.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

bikepacker wrote:nightmare experience...
In what way, may I ask? I accpet that F1 is a budget setup but all I ask of them is a room and a bed in which I can get a night's sleep. If that happens then it's Job Done, so I'm wondering what else could happen that would spoil the deal... Do Tell!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Flee ridden room in one causing my wife to have a serious amount of bites on her legs. The other had a group of very rowdy migrants camping next to the car-park and making an all night din.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Interesting - sorry to hear about what must have been a fairly depressing experience at the time. It's been a while since I stayed in an F1 and I always used to find them - at least the individual rooms - clean enough and quiet enough to get the job done, but I guess they've become hostels now, more or less and also they're nearly always situated in less than select areas of town, for fairly obvious reasons. I might be a little more selective next time!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

bikepacker wrote:F1 hotels do allow bikes in the room. Remember however these hotels because of their cheapness are generally of very poor standard. We have only ever stayed in two and both have been a nightmare experience. If you are looking for low cost hotels, Ibis Budget are good value and usually exceptionally clean. Premier Classe slightly more expensive than F1 are much better and rooms are ensuite.

They don't all allow bikes in a room - and I refer to all the three you mention.
We stayed in a F1 near Moulins a couple of years ago. However they did allow us to put the bikes in a lock up - which was better. I think you are being a bit unfair about the standard of F1. They are not my favourite accommodation but generally I've found them acceptable as an overnight stop and I've used them a number of times over the years -of course you need to pay attention to the word "BUDGET".
Ibis budget are better ( used to be Etap). Campanile IMO are ok but the restaurants are not so good. Premier Classe have pretty small rooms - not good if there are two of you with bikes.
In fact some areas of France like the Pyrenees don't have many budget chain hotels available - but I've found with all the online booking agencies that there are a number of B&B type places that are very reasonable.