Sardinia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DavidWC

Sardinia

Post by DavidWC »

I am planning a camping holiday in Sardinia, we will be travelling by car, establishing a base from which to cycle from each day. We plan on having a couple of bases from which to cycle.
What I am interested in is if anyone can suggest a couple of bases that will give us some good day rides. At the moment I am thinking of Alghero and perhaps somewhere in the south east corner, Lanusei?
Any suggestions welcomed
Many thanks
David
honesty

Re: Sardinia

Post by honesty »

La Maddalena on the Maddalena island chain is very nice, but I'm not sure how much more than a day or two of cycling you'd get out of the islands. Theres been a few threads on Sardinia recently, so it may be worth doing a search on the forum for more info.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Lanusei is the "capital" of Ogliastra province, so it is possible that you have seen some accomm described as being "in" or "near" Lanusei, when it is actually down by the coast 400m below, or up in the hills a similar distance above. Lanusei isn't exactly in the SE corner, it's more half way up the east side. It is also half way up a very big hill, being about 400m above sea-level, with road passes up to 1000m available in the hills above, and the only ways out of Lanusei are up and down. Also it's a bit annoying in the car as there is a short 1-way street in the town centre without a parallel in the opposite direction, and it is about 6km to drive in a car around a big circuit to the other end of it if you are at the wrong end of it, if you see what I mean. I ended up doing that about 4 times and we only stayed there 2 nights. Typical stone-built hill town but a bit run down. I think you would need to car assist to many nice rides from there. There is some lovely riding in general in the mountains and plateaux above Lanusei, and also over towards Baunei and Dorgali. There is also an English run guesthouse which attracts cyclists down on the coast down the hill from there, here are some MTB circuits they recommend. http://www.peteranne.it/mountain-bike/mtb-routes/#/0/0

I would also think about somewhere like Dorgali or Orgosolo as potential alternatives for this area of Sardinia.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I don't seem to be able to find an English version, but this is useful:

http://www.pedalitalia.it/scheda/guida- ... a-sardegna
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Am a bit concerned about your level of initial research OP if you think lanusei is in the SE corner. Do you have t'internet?

How long are you going to be there for?

Also, which month are you planning to be there?

Sardinia is beautiful and great for both on and off road cycling,
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Not totally sure about what you're looking for, however I've been cycling Sardinia in the between 30SEP and 09OCT 2015 (HERE THE LINK), I've been relying exclusively on B&B's, very low season, prices in the between 30 and 40 Euros/night-1person, generally all of them definitely excellent. Good weather, superb climbing ... unrevalled scenarios. That's just to give you an idea of what you might expect, let me know whether you need gpx tracks, good luck !!