lighting in Germany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
trebor123

lighting in Germany

Post by trebor123 »

This is my first post, so hello everyone. I'm planning to ride ride to Berlin later in the year. From what I've read, in Germany I should have a dynamo fitted to my bike, I do not intend to ride at night, so do I need one?
beardy

Re: lighting in Germany

Post by beardy »

The laws have recently changed allowing battery lights for all bikes instead of just lightweight racers as it used to be.

You do however need wheel (or tyre) reflectors and front reflectors in addition to the UK requirements.
Nobody will notice their absence in daylight though.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There are international conventions about cross-border traffic, and as a foreign visitor you only have to meet the internationally agreed minimum, not the local regulations.
That's a brake, a white front light, a red back light, a rear reflector, and a bell.
It's on the main CTC site somewhere - I can never find the link so I have to google
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... al-traffic

Summary: if you don't have a bell, put one on.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Sorted
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I noticed that it seems to be quite acceptable in Germany, instead of having a bell, just to say 'tingaling' as you come up behind somebody. Eminently sensible.
trebor123

Post by trebor123 »

Thanks for the advice everyone, one less thing for me to worry about
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The reason I carry lights is for tunnels and to have a torch. It also helps in rain and where tree's overhang the road for long stretches.

Berlin hostels can fill on summer weekends; some advance booking is wise. Berlin can be hot!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

nirakaro wrote:I noticed that it seems to be quite acceptable in Germany, instead of having a bell, just to say 'tingaling' as you come up behind somebody. Eminently sensible.

Plus One, I must try that

Or DRINJNINGALINGGG!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies