Routes near Banbury

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
martin113

Routes near Banbury

Post by martin113 »

For various reasons I am going to be going to meetings in a village about 8 miles to the east of Banbury. Some meetins will be all day on a Saturday, others will finish by lunch time, leaving me time to get to explore the local countryside by bike and get in 40 miles or so before setting off home. Could any locals give me some ideas of attractive routes, lanes, villages, pubs, cafe stops? Thanks.
eileithyia

Re: Routes near Banbury

Post by eileithyia »

Not local anymore, but you can't go far wrong if you head out towards, Cropredy (home of an annual festival), Stowe (just make sure there is nothing on at Silverstone first), Hook Norton..... home of Hook Norton ales.... further on is Great Rollwright and the standing stones.... lots of glorious lanes interconnect these places....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I used to visit Great Tew for professional reasons and can tell you that there's a super little cafe opposite the primary school :-) Might be a bit too far south-west for your purposes, tho'...
Route to Great Tew
Route to Great Tew
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Hi I'm in Banbury, what village are you in? I'll try and put some routes together and more importantly places to eat!
martin113

Post by martin113 »

Thanks for the offer. Sibford Gower - Burdrop - Sibford Ferris.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

This would be a nice little loop
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12028337

Nice ford to cross at 2.5miles ( usually runs about 6" deep) at 6 miles as you pass through stourton just off the route is the Cotswold distillery and cherington arms hotel.
Another nice pub at 10 miles in todenham village or lots of nice cafes etc in Morton in marsh at 13.5 miles in
There is a short section of the A346 but it's not too bad and allows you to visit the rollright stones at 23 miles in, about after you cross the A3400 there is another cafe at the farm shop on your left. 28 miles in your in Hook Norton village village shops pub and a very old brewery to visit if you have time.

If your planning on extending the route avoid the A429 fosse way, it's very fast but you could cross it at moreton in marsh and head up through batsford and Aston magna, very pretty and some good climbs towards bourbon-on-the-hill ( unsurprisingly) chipping Camden is very nice but possibly a bit far out for you.