C2C vs Hadrian's cycleway?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Omega Sprinkles

C2C vs Hadrian's cycleway?

Post by Omega Sprinkles »

Hi!

We are hoping to do a three day tour over Easter, either the C2C route from Sunderland to Whitehaven, OR... the Hadrian's Wall cycleway (east to west). Both routes look fantastic.

- Are both ok on road bikes?

- Which is the more spectacular or challenging?

We would be really interested to hear any strong views on one or the other!

Many thanks!
Toffee

Re: C2C vs Hadrian's cycleway?

Post by Toffee »

If you plot your route on any route mapping site you will instantly see that c2c is massively more hilly than Hadrian's Cycleway.

If you are mad like us you will be going out on the Hadrian's Cycle way and back on the c2c.

Derek
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Having done both on separate occasions both West to East last year the C2C is the biggest challenge although Hadrian's is longer. Once you get away from Ravenglass on the Hadrian's there is a half mile or so when we had to push our bikes over some sand dunes otherwise we had no problems on both routes on road bikes.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

C2C is an order of magnitude harder. I'd guess that 70%+ of those tackling the C2C are not prepared for how hard it is.

Both are enjoyably scenic - I honestly don't think I could call it between them. Now, the Pennine Cycleway, that's something else...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Hadrians Cycleway is fine on a road bike. It breaks down into roughly 50,70,50 mile days with stops at Silloth and Once Brewed YHA. Three contrasting days really. First day is coastal, second day coastal start then up into Pennines, third day descend off Pennines and follow river to the a East coast passing along NewCastle Quayside.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Both excellent. As others have said C2C is much more challenging. Both rideable on road bikes just choose the road alternatives, especially on the C2C. Definitely worth checking the state of the C2C as it was badly affected by the December floods that damaged bridges. As Richard mentions, there are some other fabulous rides across northern England eg. Walney to Whitby (or Wear), Roses as well as the N-S Pennine cycleway...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe you want to decide according to the things you want to see? There's quite a lot along the Hadrian's Cycleway to stop and see. Museums and walks up to some of the forts, and the top of Housestead's are worthwhile, if you like such things.

I haven't done C2C, but I do like interspering my touring days with museum stops, interesting walks, and nice cake :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Lovely Cake shop in Brampton on Hadrians route. Its called Mr something or other and the cycling café in Greystones on C2C is fab. First day of Hadrians was very easy so we stayed in Bowness on Solway first night I think it was about 80m but it made the last day shorter for getting back home
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience