Dog trailers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikergirl

Dog trailers

Post by bikergirl »

Hi Everyone. Has anyone had any experience with dog trailers. We have decided to take our pooches with us on tour, as we cant find anyone to look after them and kennels are not an option. I have seen peoples' tour blogs who have used the Cycle Tote trailers and love the look of it, but as we don't know yet whether our pooches will take to a trailer, I am loath to spend that sort of money just yet. I have been looking at the various types available in the UK, but have yet to see one in the flesh as there are no suppliers close to us. As such, I find it hard to gauge the sturdiness and suitability for our dogs. I have a golden retriever and an aging patterdale terrier. I am inclined to buy a cheaper trailer and practice with it for a while, but am totally undecided as to which to get. Ideally, I'd like to get both dogs in one trailer, but recognise that for a tour they will probably need their own. I have been looking at the Trixie large dog trailer on Amazon, which seems to have good reviews. Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested.
Heltor Chasca

Dog trailers

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi. I would recommend kiddies' trailers. There must be piles of 2nd hand ones on eBay. No problem for your terrier but you could reinforce the base for your retriever with a piece of carpet.

The only difference between kids' trailers and dog trailers is the price. As soon as an item is marketed towards pets, they add on W.A.T. They think we are stupid. [emoji849]
rfryer

Re: Dog trailers

Post by rfryer »

We got a trailer for our Patterdale, but he was highly unappreciative. I'd suggest getting a trailer with the expectation that it's likely not to be liked, so either get one you can use for other cargo, or one you can sell on without too much of a loss. If it proves a success you can always upgrade!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A couple of years ago I met a guy touring with a Jack Russell. Carried in an orange box attached in front of handlebars. Could suit the Patterdale but not the Retriever.
Wasn't slowing him down any either. Two days from Kings Lynn to Moffat complete with camping gear.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bikergirl

Post by bikergirl »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Hi. I would recommend kiddies' trailers. There must be piles of 2nd hand ones on eBay. No problem for your terrier but you could reinforce the base for your retriever with a piece of carpet.

The only difference between kids' trailers and dog trailers is the price. As soon as an item is marketed towards pets, they add on W.A.T. They think we are stupid. [emoji849]

Thanks for the idea. Have looked on ebay for dog trailers, but not kiddie trailers. The only dog trailers are new - I'll check out the kiddie ones.

Ive actually got a Burley Nomad in which I shoved a piece of hardboard so I could carry my rotavator to my allotment, so I'm thinking of taking them out in it on a trial run. It doesn't have a roof unfortunately, so would not be suitable long term, and I would have to get a different floor. The Nomad is a brilliant trailer btw, sturdy and stable, (but with a soft floor and no top other than a rain cover)

Paulatic wrote:A couple of years ago I met a guy touring with a Jack Russell. Carried in an orange box attached in front of handlebars. Could suit the Patterdale but not the Retriever.
Wasn't slowing him down any either. Two days from Kings Lynn to Moffat complete with camping gear.

Yes that is a possibility for the Patterdale, I reckon she'd love that. She's 13 years old so not too fiesty any more. As rfryer suggests, she might not like a trailer too much, but a box in front - well, now we are going somewhere. Thanks.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Have you seen this blog http://dogontour.co.uk/
Looks like a Golden Retriever.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Or this...(I'm impressed with your rotovator exploits btw)