Ostsee (Baltic) cycle route in Germany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
neilob

Ostsee (Baltic) cycle route in Germany

Post by neilob »

Anyone ridden this route? Later this year, we are arriving in Rostock by ferry from Denmark then following the Ostsee route to Ruegen. I was wondering about the surface....is it ok for laden road (touring) bikes with 32mm tyres? I've read some conflicting reports; some say it is good all the way, others suggest there are sections of sand and rough track.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Ron

Re: Ostsee (Baltic) cycle route in Germany

Post by Ron »

I covered the section Rostock to Stralsund in 2006, can't remember much about it now but my diary says I diverted onto quiet side roads where there was no cycle track. I managed the 100 Km in one day so there could not have been any big problems.
I didn't go on to Rugen, instead heading south-east towards Szczecin
Last edited by Ron on 2 Feb 2016, 12:21am, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Re: Ostsee (Baltic) cycle route in Germany

Post by foxyrider »

I did it a few years ago on my Airnimal with 25c tyres, fully loaded for camping. Some parts are on quiet roads, others eg Dierhagen to Zingst have a bike route away from the road. The biggest issue I found was that some 'roads' use huge concrete blocks as a surface which are not kind to bikes or their riders, you will almost certainly meet some on your trip, like wise the Texas size cobbles in Barth and Stralsund!

The main road onto Rugen is busy, in places there is a bike track but others not. I stayed at a campsite at Lietzow which was central enough to go up to Kap Arkona one day and do a loop to the south another.

I really enjoyed my trip, might have to go back when I get time!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!