d lock for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

d lock for touring?

Post by Sweep »

Anyone care to recommend one?

Decent but not too pricey.

Cable locks of all types seem useless and crooks doubtless know it.

I realise that all d locks can be taken in seconds with a powered angle grinder so it seems to me that it's an idea to just put them off with a passably decent looking but not too heavy D lock. And then trust to the fact that a touring bike might look like a less tempting prospect than a racer/road bike.

I had considered the kryptonite new york fagh' currently on a good discount here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kryp ... -prod18394

But it's just so damn heavy.
Sweep
mercalia

Re: d lock for touring?

Post by mercalia »

I have the New York standard.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/000952.html

Really I dont think there is any answer you will like to hear.
A decent one will weigh a lot.
Has to be long enough to go thru the front wheel and frame and the loop you want to lock it to & no more so that a tool cant be inserted to break it. The standard one will do just that. I dont know the one you refer to. I get the impression from the pictures it might not do this, is too short?

I looked at the specs - Product dimensions: 3.25” x 6” (8.3cm x 15.3cm)
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us/en/products/product-information/current-key/997986.html

the standard one I have -
Product dimensions: 4” x 8” (10.2cm x 20.3cm)
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us/en/products/product-information/current-key/000952.html

I would say your one is too small to be of much use in the way above, mine is just adequate, even so I still have a struggle some time to lock it thru some of the loops in London in the way above

if u want to know what heavy is then feel this one :cry: I also have this one. is a nice cudgel

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kryptonite-new-york-m18-u-lock/rp-prod28854
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

Sweep wrote:Anyone care to recommend one?

I realise that all d locks can be taken in seconds with a powered angle grinder so it seems to me that it's an idea to just put them off with a passably decent looking but not too heavy D lock. And then trust to the fact that a touring bike might look like a less tempting prospect than a racer/road bike.

I had considered the kryptonite new york fagh' currently on a good discount here:

I have that lock and it's a beast and the right size to fill it with frame, rear wheel and post but I don't think it's suitable for touring.

I have been considering the same thing and the conclusion is not to use a QR Skewer for the wheels.... I have a set of pitlock ( if that is the name) that will also lock the seat post. Then to protect my brooks saddle I'm thinking a glued ball bearing to prevent anybody armed with an Alan key taking it. Then I can concentrate on securing the bike from the frame only and that is easier but if somebody wants your bike badly enough then you are in trouble.

I also have a lock like this one www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evolution-m ... cket-lock/ that I'm considering to lock the frame.
hondated

Post by hondated »

[quote="RRSODL] Then to protect my brooks saddle I'm thinking a glued ball bearing to prevent anybody armed with an Alan key taking it. [/quote]

You could also use an old piece of drive chain wrapped in an old inner tube and fitted around the saddle rail and rear stay. The chain can be secured together by the use of a chain tool.
I think even grinding through that would take longer than through an alloy seat post as well.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for all responses so far folks.

Do keep them coming.

Views on this, the lock i saw in a shop the other day and got me thinking about this, ie, lightish, reasonable price, good brand to maybe put thieves off. The stupid marketing department have been daft enough though to have the body of it labelled LITE. They may as well have put a big notice on it saying WEAKER.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Evol ... wodmioPtA#

If anyone else thinks this light but big brand approach is good, any other suggestions?

Edit:though it does maybe fall foul of mercalias point above about being too small.
Last edited by Sweep on 31 Jan 2016, 10:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote:I realise that all d locks can be taken in seconds with a powered angle grinder so it seems to me that it's an idea to just put them off with a passably decent looking but not too heavy D lock.
Please don't get wrong, I'm not against locks and I'm certainly not poking fun.

I wonder if it was possible to produce a dummy D lock?
One that looks like a really good solid lock, but in reality made from alumnium or carbon fibre and nice and light?
Enough to look like the bike is locked securely.

If this is a stupid idea, I'll wind my neck in and shut up! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Mick F wrote:
Sweep wrote:I realise that all d locks can be taken in seconds with a powered angle grinder so it seems to me that it's an idea to just put them off with a passably decent looking but not too heavy D lock.
Please don't get wrong, I'm not against locks and I'm certainly not poking fun.

I wonder if it was possible to produce a dummy D lock?
One that looks like a really good solid lock, but in reality made from alumnium or carbon fibre and nice and light?
Enough to look like the bike is locked securely.

If this is a stupid idea, I'll wind my neck in and shut up! :oops:

Not at all. I think it's brilliant. You get dummy CCTV after all. Patent it now Mick!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Kryptonite Evolution Mini is rather lighter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evol ... B000AMPRG0

The Abus Futura saves weight by being a bit narrower than a standard D lock, so it fits bike stands just fine, but might not go round sign posts and the like. It's under a kilo, which is better than most mini D locks http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security ... -Futura-64

However, security is always going to be something of a compromise between weight, cost level of security, etc. Not too pricey? I don't know of any that I would trust my bike with.

I just carry a normal D lock.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Not at all. I think it's brilliant. You get dummy CCTV after all. Patent it now Mick!
I'll give my idea to the world of cyclists! Off you go, go and make one! :D

Just mentioned the idea to Mrs Mick F. She remarked on the dummy CCTV as well and dummy policemen. ...................... Even dummy towns and villages during WW2.

We once lived not far from Dumbarton and there's the remains of a dummy town up in the hills above the town. It saved their shipbuilding industry from the worst of the German bombing. The dummy village is strewn with bomb craters.
Mick F. Cornwall
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

The Krypto Evo Mini 5 is good for locking to sheffield stands, but (IMO) a bit too small for non-UK touring where you may struggle to find somewhere suitable to put your bike. The Mini 7 is bigger so gives you a few more options.

Another alternative, if you travel as a couple, is to get a 300mm shackle length lock (we have an Abus Varedo 47 - 12mm shackle) which weighs less than two D-locks and can be used to lock two bikes together.

Where will you be locking your bike? Although the heavy armour is needed for locking up in Central London you can get away a lot less in rural France.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

hondated wrote:I think even grinding through that would take longer than through an alloy seat post as well.

But a few seconds to remove with a chain tool :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RRSODL wrote:
Sweep wrote:Anyone care to recommend one?

I have that lock and it's a beast and the right size to fill it with frame, rear wheel and post but I don't think it's suitable for touring.

that surprises me as my standard is quite longer and only just works, but I lock the front wheel rather than the rear as thats the one that is more easily stolen, and any way is usually at the right place re the loop
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

Like this:

and like this with the smaller lock

pwa

Post by pwa »

The Missus and I take two armoured heavy duty cable type locks which can be linked together to form one long length that is really handy for locking two bikes to a hefty tree. But they are heavy. And no lock is 100%.
hondated

Post by hondated »

TonyR wrote:
hondated wrote:I think even grinding through that would take longer than through an alloy seat post as well.

But a few seconds to remove with a chain tool :lol:

Good point Tony but whilst a thief may carry a grinder I cant imagine many having a chain tool on them when they go out thieving. The Bs.