d lock for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Re: d lock for touring?

Post by robing »

I don't take a D lock touring. I've got enough to carry without a dirty great lock. I don't really leave the bike anywhere unattended in busy places. In cities I tend to use hotels and take bike in room or secure store. I was on the ferry to Barra from Oban and another touring cyclist had a massive Kryptonite Lock with them! I said you won't need that on the Outer Hebrides!
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've discussed it in another topic recently but I like my Abus Bordo Granit X-Plus. It seems to give most (all?) of the security of a D lock but a lot more compact for carrying. The Bordo range comes in a variety of different models at differing price points/ weights/ lengths/ security levels.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think Abus D locks are lighter for a given sold secure rating. There's a gold rated one at 1.5kg IIRC and silver ones lighter I think. Compare to kryptonite ones they're 2kg or heavier for their equivalent locks. I'm talking about full sized D locks not the mini ones. I think they use a better grade of steel so the lock can be thinner or lighter for a given strength. I've also heard their frame fittings are more secure without any rattle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In principle I can see no reason to go for the heaviest D locks, providing that the actual lock mechanism is as good as you can get. There is little point in the steel U shape being too heavy because a thief with the tool to cut through a medium weight D lock can cut through a heavy weight one, taking just a few seconds more to do it. Or am I missing something?
millimole

Post by millimole »

I know cables have a bad reputation, but is this a case where a good cable and a compromise D-Lock might be worthwhile?
With the smaller/lighter D-Lock through the frame/Wheel and the cable round the 'object' and locked onto the D-Lock.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've read a review where one chain or D lock went through a few cutting discs. I can't remember where our b read it now.

The heavier D locks may not resist a petrol powered angle grinder for long but it's longer than the lighter ones next to your bike which is the point. A loud machine is not likely to be carried by anyone out to nick bikes. If it is they'll still go for the least protected bike. Isn't that the idea? You don't need to outrun a bull just outrun the slowest member of your group (or make them slower).

Two different types of lock is considered the best option but that's even more weight than a beefy D lock. BTW if your bike looks good enough I'm sure you'll get it nicked sooner or later no matter what you use. My bike isn't that much of a looker, it's £750 including bits I've added. I'm happy with a light D lock in low to medium risk areas like my work but I intend on.getting a better lock for out and about where I may lock it somewhere high risk without knowing it is.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

On the continent usually only take lightweight cables and never had a problem. At night have always found somewhere happy and willing to store securely, sometimes as part of group of 4 or 6, often in basements, kitchen, storerooms, etc. When alone, initially nervous when doing things like shopping but soon relax and unlikely the average bike thief would want to take UK steel bike with panniers – but I accept, there is some risk. At campsites, again, ask to store securely or near tent and awkward access. Going out in the evening on the bike the bigger challenge because no off-putting luggage to deter thieves, but I would choose somewhere I can keep bike in sight or otherwise secure. Locking bikes together, even with lightweight cable, more awkward for potential thieves.

However, in the UK I’m more nervous. On end to end from York last year took Kryptonite Evolution Lite mini 6 (at 737g their lightest). My first night in Derby I managed to drop the key after I’d locked it and had major panic with hotel staff kindly searching the hotel with me until we found it - sitting underneath the bike, complete with coloured tag matching the lock (we have several locks on the go at home)! I used it when stopping to buy food or alternatively asked suitable someone if they’d mind keeping an eye for 2 minutes (eg outside shop with buggy, sitting in car, etc); usually gains positive response, opens conversation and helps maintain faith in people. When I met my partner later in the ride I left the D lock with her and only kept a café lock.

I use this D lock + cable for trips into town, to language classes, or whatever. I did try a cheaper alternative to Pitlocks but found I couldn’t tighten them up sufficiently on the rear wheel to prevent it slipping when under pressure but I think they’re a good idea. D locks provide immediate visual deterrent in the same way that a burglar alarm (real or dummy) might mean potential burglar goes elsewhere but nothing will stop the really determined and well-equipped bike thief. Generally, touring bikes with luggage don’t usually match targets for thefts. Mind you, in 1978 we camped for a night in Galway on a patch of grass near the Spanish Arch (if I remember right) and left panniers on the bikes, ancient single speeds enveloped in a heavy chain. In the morning we found someone had reached in and removed our clothes and proceeded to drop them as they walked back into town – we recovered most items.

Think that’s the last theft we’ve had while cycle touring …
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
scottg

Post by scottg »

The OP was looking for a light weight d lock.

Palmy aluminum d lock, d lock as fashion accessory.
Probably better than a cable lock in the real world.

http://store.somafab.com/paalu.html

Which brings to mind the question, why not a Titanium d lock ?
Other than the silly price.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

scottg wrote:The OP was looking for a light weight d lock.

Palmy aluminum d lock, d lock as fashion accessory.
Probably better than a cable lock in the real world.

http://store.somafab.com/paalu.html

Which brings to mind the question, why not a Titanium d lock ?
Other than the silly price.

You wonder why nobody has thought of aluminium (that's how we spell it over here... :wink: ) before. Ok, it's easier to cut through than steel, but it still needs to be cut through, and that's still not easy, and a thief is hardly likely to be able to tell the difference before he starts...

Titanium, well, given how framebuilders say it's so tough it kills their tools, if you had a high-end bike you'd think it would be worth the expense.

Funny story, though: I read a book called 'The Mechanic's Tale', by Steve Matchett, a mechanic with the Benetton F1 team. On his first day he wanted to make a good impression by showing how well organised and neat and tidy he was. He found some sheet metal which he thought would be ideal to use to make drawer dividers for his toolbox. So that's what he did, only to be told that the sheet metal was titanium and he'd cost the team a fair old whack! Thankfully everybody saw the funny side of it and he didn't get fired straight away, but it wasn't the best of starts. :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

robing wrote:I don't take a D lock touring. I've got enough to carry without a dirty great lock. I don't really leave the bike anywhere unattended in busy places. In cities I tend to use hotels and take bike in room or secure store. I was on the ferry to Barra from Oban and another touring cyclist had a massive Kryptonite Lock with them! I said you won't need that on the Outer Hebrides!

I just take a small cable lock. We stayed on Islay and Mull and had to leave our bikes outside on Islay. I didn't even bother to lock mine.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
pwa

Post by pwa »

TrevA wrote:
robing wrote:I don't take a D lock touring. I've got enough to carry without a dirty great lock. I don't really leave the bike anywhere unattended in busy places. In cities I tend to use hotels and take bike in room or secure store. I was on the ferry to Barra from Oban and another touring cyclist had a massive Kryptonite Lock with them! I said you won't need that on the Outer Hebrides!

I just take a small cable lock. We stayed on Islay and Mull and had to leave our bikes outside on Islay. I didn't even bother to lock mine.

Brilliant lateral thinking! Just go to a place where stuff doesn't get nicked!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote:
TrevA wrote:
Brilliant lateral thinking! Just go to a place where stuff doesn't get nicked!

:) yes, like a small island, or holiday in your garage.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Independently and before I read it I also thought of Micks suggestion.

Get a light but chunky looking padlock and a bit of light chain.

http://nothingbutpadlocks.com/products/ ... chain-65cm

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo. ... oCPrzw_wcB

And…

http://nothingbutpadlocks.com/products/ ... sc-padlock

Unfamiliar stuff might put a thief off?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......