Hook of Holland to the German border

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Hook of Holland to the German border

Post by 9991046 »

I am organising a charity ride in May. I need to find a route from the Hook of Holland to the German border en-route to Hamburg. I need to take a northerly route , but not along the coast.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are there good Cycleways alongside most dutch main roads?
m-gineering

Re: Hook of Holland to the German border

Post by m-gineering »

9991046 wrote:I am organising a charity ride in May. I need to find a route from the Hook of Holland to the German border en-route to Hamburg. I need to take a northerly route , but not along the coast.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are there good Cycleways alongside most dutch main roads?

Try to avoid cycleways along main roads. They are boring, noisy and you have to give way a lot. A much nicer road can usually be found with a bit of care. Try for instance the routeplanner at Fietsersbond.nl, which is excellent.
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Look on the Open Cycle Map for the long distance cycle routes.
I'd start on the LF1 going a few miles North along the coast.
Then on to LF4 going East which gets you to the Netherlands-German border.
Then D3 and D7 gets you to Hamburg. There's a slight gap between D3 and D7.
I expect most of that route to be well signposted.

I may take that route in April on my way to the Baltic.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Tigerbiten wrote:Look on the Open Cycle Map for the long distance cycle routes.

LF routes are signposted, but the position & shape of the signs is variable, so you will miss them at times. You will need a map to find the track again
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
raaab

Post by raaab »

Tigerbiten wrote:Look on the Open Cycle Map for the long distance cycle routes.

Hi, did you end up cycling this route last year? If so how was it? I'm considering cycling from the Hook of Holland to Hamburg this summer. Looking at some of the routes in the northern part of the Netherlands on streetview it looks a bit samey.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I've been from Hoek to Brunbuttel - you are right it is very samey- pleasant enough ride - If you've not been that way then it would be interesting - but not a lot of bangs for your bucks if you are used to riding in a more interesting environment
raaab

Post by raaab »

psmiffy wrote:I've been from Hoek to Brunbuttel - you are right it is very samey- pleasant enough ride - If you've not been that way then it would be interesting - but not a lot of bangs for your bucks if you are used to riding in a more interesting environment

Thanks for the link - your photos do make it look nice. Have cycled Brussels to Amsterdam, so have seen the west side of the Netherlands - I thought the mix there was good. Getting into the polders properly does seem to lose any countryside features....

Do you have a gpx of that route? I guess planning a route properly you can avoid the long boring bits as much as possibe
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

raaab wrote:Hi, did you end up cycling this route last year? If so how was it? I'm considering cycling from the Hook of Holland to Hamburg this summer. Looking at some of the routes in the northern part of the Netherlands on streetview it looks a bit samey.

No, I cycled around the English coast instead.

I have found a lot of bits of Europe are samey simply due to its size.
It's like here your are lucky to cycle for 1 day without hills, over there you can go a week without hills.
But because it's a lot easier to cycle over there, less hassle from traffic, you just switch your brain off and enjoy it.
Then you start to notice the little things, different roofs on houses, wildlife beside the road, how long can you sing one song for :lol: , etc, etc.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

oops
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.