Dutch tulip fields

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wrenj

Dutch tulip fields

Post by wrenj »

We are planning to visit Holland in April to ride through tulip fields. We prefer quiet areas, attractive towns and do not mind what type of accomodation, nothing too 'touristy'. I have heard for example the Keukenhof gardens are a bit of a Disneyworld for horticulturists and to be avoided.
Has anyone any ideas on a good base for leisurely day rides of 30 to 40 miles?
Many thanks
John Wren
m-gineering

Re: Dutch tulip fields

Post by m-gineering »

You won't find tulip fields everywhere as the soil has to be right. Apart from the tourist trap around the Keukenhof. tulips are grown in the provinces Noord Holland , Friesland (western bit) and the Flevo polder.
Friesland will probably suit you best, with some historical towns. Noord Holland (once you've left the beach) and the Flevo polder are pretty empty
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

Not sure about tulip fields, but you might enjoy a visit to Appeldoorn. I stayed in a hotel on the outskirts and was given a tourist guide to local cycle routes. There is some lovely heather heathland and local forests to explore and if you want something horticultural, visit Het Loo, a royal palace with some extensive gardens which is open to the public.

Some of the heath and forest tracks are a bit rough but no worse that many UK routes.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Marten,

Even close to your home in Groningen, you can find them.

East of Eenum
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Padraic

Post by Padraic »

My wife and myself visited the Keukenhof on our second tour of Holland, its very touristy but worth a visit for a few hours early in the morning before the large crowds visit. Nice place to bring a picnic. We were lucky that a lovely lady who worked at the Keukenhof brought us on a cycle around the local Tulip fields and by chance we stumbled upon a witch's themed cafe in the woods, some pancakes and beer to keep us going!!!
We were staying in B&B's which we sourced through Vriened Op De Fiets.

Are you cycling through Holland or just planning to visit the Tulip fields when there? Its pretty easy to hire a bike from a local bike shop, usually 7-9 Euro a day.

If you need any more information just ask.

Regards Padraic.